Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

aftermarket factory navigation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 04:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aftermarket factory navigation

okay, so here's my question, and it's kind of complicated, so listen carefully... put your ears right on the speakers...

so, i have an '05 coupe 5AT with no premium package, only sunroof (and splash guards and trunk mat, which they basically ripped me for). so, i have no navigation pop-up screen. many of you people got the double din kit ($400) then some sort of navigation head unit ($2000), which comes out to around $2,400.

but is there a way to buy the actual factory navigation pop-up screen + HVAC + stock stereo unit, instead of the double din conversion?

I emailed J's garage, and they definitely don't sell the pop-up nav screen.

any ideas?

Old 02-17-2006, 05:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone on this site bought a used navigation system and successfully installed it. Do a search. It required a new dash harness and he said it took him over 10 hours to replace the harness. Not worth the expense IMO. Just go the DD route.

Old 02-17-2006, 07:41 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There is a sedan guy doing this now (someone else has also done it), and he said he basically has the entire interior out of his car, dash, seats, everything. It sounds like a ton of work. But, if you have the time and money, anything is possible.

Old 02-17-2006, 10:50 AM
You can buy them used off ebay or through people who part out totaled cars. You could also probably convince a dealer like grubbs (grubbsperformance.com) or scottsdale infiniti (everythingg35.com) to order the parts and resell them to you.

But seriously there's no definitive instructions to install it, so you're doing a lot of guess work which means you will be screwing around with the car in your garage for days on end. Take a look at the DD navi installs people have. They all have a "stock look" plus you will save some money.

Old 02-17-2006, 12:41 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
The other option is the DW touchscreen + StreetDeck bundle - see mp3car.com.

Or check out the carPC section of this site...

Old 02-18-2006, 11:17 PM
hmm

Originally Posted by rcdash
The other option is the DW touchscreen + StreetDeck bundle - see mp3car.com.

Or check out the carPC section of this site...
do you have a link for that?

i know what the streetdeck is, but personally i don't think it's worth the money. where would the screen go? i'd hope the best place would be the compartment above the HVAC. it seems that for the price, the integration isn't as seamless as i'd expect or all that comfortable.

for example, the pioneer avic-d1 is about $1500, it also requires the double din, which is about $400. so for around $2000, you've got navigation, DVD play, mp3 play, audio cd play, and amplification all in one unit below the HVAC and there's nothing to worry about. but for a carputer, the pieces are everywhere, and there's a lot more to worry about (i.e. power, heat, unit getting banged around in car).

but, in order to get any head unit in the car, the center console needs to be replaced. so my thought was, why not just get the pop-up screen, and add an aftermarket DVD navigation unit? i think the price would be around the same, and the pop-up screen is something no other car has got (i hope).

i dunno, what do you all think?

Last edited by gfastgfurious; 02-18-2006 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:27 AM
First off you are still going to have to take your entire dash apart to install that anyway, so your not saving any time there. It seems you're really into the idea of a pop-up screen. You can get the digitalwheelz screen, but keep in mind unless your are planning on installing a carPC you will not get the touch screen which means you will have to use a cheesey remote to control your navi/DVD. To be honest if you really want a pop-up screen I would just get the digitalwheelz with a touchscreen carPC otherwise just do a double-din. Alot of people have done good carPC installs; if you are unsure just talk to a few of them. Its really not worth doing it half-way to save just a little.

Trending Topics

Old 02-20-2006, 12:22 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dont do it! its not worth the time or money...

end of story

Old 02-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GRider35c
dont do it! its not worth the time or money...

end of story
what? You obviously found your way into the wrong forums bub. That's all we do here, waste time and money on Audio, Video, Nav, CarPCs, etc etc.

In fact, the more I think about it, that's all this entire board does... waste time and money on our cars.

It's why we're here, it's why we post. Let the "story" continue.