Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

AVIC Z1 G35 Coupe Images

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AVIC Z1 G35 Coupe Images

I just had my Pioneer AVIC D1 replaced with an AVIC Z1 today. It is far better than the D1. Unfortunately, beacuse it does not have a hook up for a wired remote, I lost the steering wheel controls. The interface is much better than the D1 so that isn't a great loss. Here are some pictures.

The background image can be customized unlike with the D1. This is a stock image:

Ipod interface is light years better:

DVD:

I also have a TV tuner installed:

Music library for songs burned directly from the CD player:

XM interface is better:

It still has the meters:

And navigation with regular veiws and this dual view mode:

It's a much better system even though the D1 is good. My old D1 is making its way into my RX7 now.

Old 04-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Looks good.

Old 04-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
it does have a hook up for the wire remote, its off one of hte harnesses, i just did a Z1 in a G wtih integrated steering wheel controls

b

Old 04-09-2006, 10:04 PM
wassupMyNinjas! (^_^)

Received 102 Likes on 45 Posts
Have you messed with the voice recognition yet? If you say the name of the song/artist... does it search for that song and play it?

How's the sound quality? Are you using the stock speakers?

Thanks, just wondering... I'm also thinking about getting this!

Old 04-09-2006, 10:17 PM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
I just installed the Z1 in my sedan yesterday and it rocks! I may not be used to it yet but does it seem to take a little long to boot up? Also, I noticed that this unit doesn't pick up thr RDS from the local radio stations like the stock Bose system did. I didn't see anything in the manual about it, perhaps you can shed a little light...

I'm really looking forward to the bluetooth add on.

Thanks in advance!

Old 04-09-2006, 11:12 PM
Can you bypass the system to play dvd like the old one?

Old 04-10-2006, 01:54 AM
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Originally Posted by God|ZIlla168
Can you bypass the system to play dvd like the old one?
Not to my knowledge. It knows that you're moving regardless of how the parking brake wire is hooked up. I think it uses the GPS positioning and/or the vehicle speed sensor. If you ground the parking brake wire you are welcomed with a warning message saying your parking brake lead is hooked up incorrectly everytime the system starts. Perhaps you can put both wires on switches to temporarily fool the system. I really don't know...

Old 04-10-2006, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by 16psibrick
it does have a hook up for the wire remote, its off one of hte harnesses, i just did a Z1 in a G wtih integrated steering wheel controls

b

This is good news. I will have to take it back to my installer. He used the D1 wiring harness so that's probably how he missed it.

I haven't used the voice recognition that much, but I only really see myself using it for phone dialing. It just so much easier to locate what you want using the touch screen.

I think the only way to have the DVD display while driving would be to put a switch on the GPS antenna and possibly fool the unit into thinking it is standing still (along with grounding the parking brake).

I haven't looked into the RDS for the radio yet, but I didn't notice it on the D1.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Archangel
This is good news. I will have to take it back to my installer. He used the D1 wiring harness so that's probably how he missed it.

I haven't used the voice recognition that much, but I only really see myself using it for phone dialing. It just so much easier to locate what you want using the touch screen.

I think the only way to have the DVD display while driving would be to put a switch on the GPS antenna and possibly fool the unit into thinking it is standing still (along with grounding the parking brake).

I haven't looked into the RDS for the radio yet, but I didn't notice it on the D1.
Can't play DVD's while driving?! That's a big turn off.. I was looking into this product but I guess I'll have to wait for the AVN6600. =/

Old 04-10-2006, 10:07 AM
I'm not sure why anyone would want to watch a movie while driving. You can add other screens for passengers though that will play while the car is in motion.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:25 AM
It's not so that I can watch a movie, it's for the passengers. I don't want to go through the hassle of having to add another screen. Also, how many roms does it have? Just one for DVD AND Navi or two seperate roms to accomdate both?

Old 04-10-2006, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by lucidazn
It's not so that I can watch a movie, it's for the passengers. I don't want to go through the hassle of having to add another screen. Also, how many roms does it have? Just one for DVD AND Navi or two seperate roms to accomdate both?
My wife complained about it not being able to play the DVD while driving for her benifit (passenger). Adding another screen would be a hassle so understand your point. I think I would be too tempted to look though.

There is only one rom for CDs and DVDs. The navigation information is stored on the hard drive so a disk is not necessary.

Old 04-10-2006, 11:10 AM
I would imagine you just have to put a switch on the speed sensor and the parking brake, I doubt the gps has anything to do with that, because GPS anennaes can be moving when the car is not on, like on ferry's for example. get the speed sensor and the p brake and you should be all good

Old 04-10-2006, 11:57 AM
suppose i didn't want to use the GPS/navigation functionality of this unit at all... like for example, if i have OEM navi

could you simply leave the GPS antenna and speed sensor disconnected and not get a warning message, and be able to play DVDs? if not, i remember there was a workaround with the AVIC-N2 and also the AVIC-D1 that allowed this if you modded the unit somehow?

for those that have this unit... can the background image be customized by the user? or do you have to select one of their images? i.e. can i load a .jpg into the unit for a custom background?

anyone tried the Bluetooth module with the Z1? i'm curious as to the sound quality and ease of use. and finally, what about the voice recognition? if i load my CDs onto the internal HD is it easy to search songs by voice?

Old 04-10-2006, 12:08 PM
kind of a waste of money if you buy that HU and don't use the GPS.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AVIC Z1 G35 Coupe Images