Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Replacing the 2 ohm with 4 ohm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Inno
You need to learn about amps. Nothing is constant in a car, and your assumptions are wrong. The power is not constant and thats why you don't understand the concept. As I stated, when you connect an amp capable of driving different impedance speakers, the output power of the amp outputs actually changes. Take a look at the amp manual. They will say things like 100Wx4 at 4 ohms or 140Wx4 at 2 ohms.

Next you should review your EE books and learn about RMS power some more, because it doesn't double as you were suggesting. It is RMS (Root Mean Square) power that is important here. Square root of 2 ~= 1.4
Obviously amplifiers in audio applications don't put out constant power. My example was for a "simple" DC amp as stated to give people some intuition. There's no reason to get in to the details of AC power as it's not relevant to my point. DC examples demonstrate clearly how power changes as load changes.

Regarding "you need more power to drive more resistance," I will spell it out for you. Two similar speakers, one 2 ohms, one 4 ohms. Put them on the same amp. The 4 ohm speaker will require you to turn the volume up more to get the same loudness as the 2 ohm speaker did.
The reason that you need to turn the "volume ****" up more is because the amp is NOT delivering as much power in to the 4 ohm load as the 2 ohm load. By turning up the volume, you are increasing the power in to the load. When they are at roughly the same volume, the amp is putting out roughly the same power. You don't need "more power" to drive less resistance. Understand my point now?

It's really a simple experiment. Stick 2 ohm speakers on an amp, and stick 4 ohm speakers on an amp. Tell me which is louder. It will be the 2 ohm speakers. The reason? Because as we both indicated... P=II/R, you decrease the resistance and the power goes up (just like I mentioned above with the amp manual example).

I'm sorry that your EE degree didn't teach you this. Maybe I learned that while I did my MSEE? Oh I forgot, I didn't learn this $hit in school. It is real world applications. Sometimes you can't learn everything from a book dude. Just go try it. Respond as you wish, but I'm done with this thread.
I don't know where you got your degree, but all of these basics were covered in detail in my program. Frankly I'm a bit suprised to hear you have a EE degree and say things like "P=IIR ---> You need more power to drive more resistance". It demonstrates a lack of intuitive understanding of the basics. My replies here were simply to give people an intuition for why the power in to the load varies, what that means, and to clarify that it is not "easier" to drive a 2 ohm load.

Last edited by MechEE; 04-16-2006 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Not trying to teach people EE, just trying to show them that the 2 ohm speaker is going to be louder than a 4 ohm at the same volume level, which is the topic of this thread dude!

Old 04-15-2006, 11:23 PM
TLS
WOw, thanks guys. This topic is getting too technically detail. I guess I should stick with 2 ohms then.

lol, if i read anymore i'm turning to Einstein(sp?)

Old 04-16-2006, 12:40 AM
Now if I swap my 4 ohm sub for a 2 ohm sub on my JL amp, power output and volume stay constant.