Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Upgraded Stock Speaker Pics (No 56K!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Upgraded Stock Speakers w/ Infinity Kappas (Pics...not 56K!)

It's been raining constantly here in the NY/NJ Metro area since Friday, which killed the mood for doing anything outside ! Instead of loungin' around, I decided to finally install my Infinity Kappa's in my ride after it's been sittin' around in my room for the past couple of weeks . This is after months of reading and researching through this site.

The installation was fairly simple as long as you are patient and in no rush. It took me almost a whole day replacing the rear and rear deck mainly cuz the rear interior had to be gutted out ! Plus, I added weather stripping on suspicious areas where a rattle or squeek would occur. One thing I do regret not doing is possibly adding some kind of sound deadening material while I had the interior gutted out . I should've thought about it before I tackled this job. Oh well .
Lastly, if you do decide to replace the rear 6.5", remember it also uses spacers! Thanks to Disco_Monkey for pointing this out!

It's definitely nothing compared to what other's have done to their stereo system, but like what some have done, I decided to slightly upgrade my "Bose" system by just replacing the stock speakers. Nor was I aiming to have a better "SQ". I didn't want a major overhaul such as replacing the HU or running higher end components or even adding subs and amp in the trunk mainly due to money constraints. Unfortunately, I need every single cubic inch in the G's "spacious" trunk so adding subs is almost out of the question . And to be honest, I'd rather spend money on performance mods rather than upgrading the stereo if I did have money to spend.

Overall, I believe the upgrade was worth it ! The sound is A LOT better than stock ! The sound is crisp and clear w/out the boominess. A lot have asked questions regarding the Kappa's and/or upgrading just the stock speakers. So if you decide to go this route, I highly recommend it!!

I installed the front components a couple of weeks ago so I didn't have pics of it. And it's also been covered numerous times w/ pics .

Gutted interior!

Rear speaker.

Rear deck.

Stock 6.5" vs Infinity Kappa 6.5"

Stock 6x9" vs Infinity Kappa 6x9"

Installed Infinity Kappa 6.5"

Installed Infinity Kappa 6x9"

Last edited by MISTIKMACK; 04-23-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:33 AM
hahah...good luck with it man...its like we are twins....i have all that stuff in my garage too and we picked all the same replacement speakers....one little add on to mine....Kenwood DDX 7017...but good luck with all the installation and please let me know how it sounds

-Cameron

Old 04-23-2006, 01:19 PM
Where did you get the spacers?

Old 04-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by gbest03
Where did you get the spacers?
The spacers are from ZEnclosure and he sells them through Ebay. Here's one currently listed:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...spagenameZWDVW

Old 04-23-2006, 02:34 PM
WoW... i would freak if started ripping apart my car and then looked at how much stuff i just took out... BTW the turn out looked good... glad to see that your happy with your mod... man those bose speakers look like crap... might have to invest in this as well

Old 04-23-2006, 04:57 PM
THE BATMOBILE
wow great work..........you fckin gutted the car lol........im sure it was worth it in the end

Old 04-23-2006, 06:15 PM
Yeah, unfortunately, there's no other way to get to the stock 6.5"s & 6x9s w/out removing the entire rear interior . Halfway through the job...I was like ...what the hell am I doin ! But the gutted interior didn't deter me from going forward and I kinda had no choice but to keep going . It actually doesn't THAT bad .

I know this would be the first AND last that I'd be guttin' my car .

Old 04-23-2006, 06:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MISTIKMACK
Yeah, unfortunately, there's no other way to get to the stock 6.5"s & 6x9s w/out removing the entire rear interior . Halfway through the job...I was like ...what the hell am I doin ! But the gutted interior didn't deter me from going forward and I kinda had no choice but to keep going . It actually doesn't THAT bad .

Just don't blow the speakers then Geez, all that and you didn't sound dampen the car? I have just about everything I need (except the head unit), so I am just waiting myself for the right time. If I am going to gut the car, I am at least going to put some Dynamat on some areas. Question: In the rear side speakers, is there really a large gap due to the brace/bracket I see there? It looks as though there is about 1/3 of an inch gap between the speakers' and the panel. If so, I think I may have to think of maybe doing something about that when I gut it.

Old 04-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
thanks for the write up!

I removed the back deck lid to put foam back there to cure a rattle so I now know what is involved with it. I should have done this speaker upgrade then Oh well I will take it apart again one of these days to install the new speakers.

Old 04-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Originally Posted by mephistomyhero
Just don't blow the speakers then Geez, all that and you didn't sound dampen the car? I have just about everything I need (except the head unit), so I am just waiting myself for the right time. If I am going to gut the car, I am at least going to put some Dynamat on some areas. Question: In the rear side speakers, is there really a large gap due to the brace/bracket I see there? It looks as though there is about 1/3 of an inch gap between the speakers' and the panel. If so, I think I may have to think of maybe doing something about that when I gut it.
Yeah, I know...I should've thought about the Dynamats before the install . There is a gap. I say it's about a 1" gap or more between the side and the brace/bracket.

Old 04-23-2006, 09:46 PM
so how many differ speakers are there in the car?

i thought there was just like a stock components in the front and some 6x9s in the rear desk

Old 04-23-2006, 10:23 PM
Yeah, I know...I should've thought about the Dynamats before the install . There is a gap. I say it's about a 1" gap or more between the side and the brace/bracket.

Where in NJ are you located? I want to hear how that setup sounds. I am soo fed up with the Bose.. I am near central NJ. ( woodbridge area) maybe we can meet up some time. .

Thanks

Old 04-23-2006, 10:49 PM
The spacers are from ZEnclosure and he sells them through Ebay. Here's one currently listed:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...spagenameZWDVW
Are the spacers in the rear the same as the ones for the front door?

Old 04-24-2006, 12:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bah!!! Blasphemy.

Install looks great!

Old 04-24-2006, 12:50 AM
thats sweet man, how much did the whole setup run you?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Upgraded Stock Speaker Pics (No 56K!)