Audio, Video & Electronics Post questions, reviews, and other general info about the G's Nav, sound system, or satellite radio

Need help deciding which double din headunit to purchase ECLIPSE?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 02:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the eclipse avn5500 w/ ipod interface; you get track info and stuff on screen; (use the output for sirius) . So you can either get sirius or use ipod. Also has navi; plays dvds; has preouts; works awesome.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just ordered a z1 i'll chime in when i install it

Old 05-06-2006, 01:12 AM
Well, should I pull the trigger on the 6600, Z1 or wait for the new Kenwood???

I'm now leaning towards Eclipse, either 6600 or 5500 both look nice. Tough decision!!

Someone Help me decide. I'm ready to buy TODAY!!

Old 05-06-2006, 04:08 PM
Dude I was in the same situation. I started out looking at the 5500, and I thought that was the one to get, but then I actually got to play with it at Circuit City, and though it was good, I wasn't blown away. So then the Z1 came out and there are a couple things about that unit that go me... bigger screen, better resolution, and the Vehicle Dymanics display (speed, volatage, G-force, compus, etc. You pick, there are three gauges)

I use to have a N1 and when your not watching a DVD, you can throw the VDD on and have it as a background.

Anyway the ipod interface i've heard is pretty cool too... but to get to my point I went with the Z1. I just got it, with the ipod adaptor, tv tuner, and I'll probably throw in a Ps2 slim... do a search and you see some people already have it in their G's... it looks sweet. And the bypass is really easy, but so is the eclipse. Hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2006, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by vchang
Dude I was in the same situation. I started out looking at the 5500, and I thought that was the one to get, but then I actually got to play with it at Circuit City, and though it was good, I wasn't blown away. So then the Z1 came out and there are a couple things about that unit that go me... bigger screen, better resolution, and the Vehicle Dymanics display (speed, volatage, G-force, compus, etc. You pick, there are three gauges)

I use to have a N1 and when your not watching a DVD, you can throw the VDD on and have it as a background.

Anyway the ipod interface i've heard is pretty cool too... but to get to my point I went with the Z1. I just got it, with the ipod adaptor, tv tuner, and I'll probably throw in a Ps2 slim... do a search and you see some people already have it in their G's... it looks sweet. And the bypass is really easy, but so is the eclipse. Hope this helps.

WHich bypass are you using for the Z1?

Old 05-06-2006, 05:13 PM
I have't installed yet, but it looks like the headlight flashing is the only bypass right now.

There are some people who have programed a circuit to do this automatically, but i don't think i'm going to mess with that.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Any more suggestions before I pull the trigger??

Old 05-11-2006, 06:45 PM
I read a thread a while back that says the Eclipse units were the only ones that allows you to play dvd's while driving without a hack? Is that true?

Old 05-13-2006, 02:21 AM
Originally Posted by ksig113
I read a thread a while back that says the Eclipse units were the only ones that allows you to play dvd's while driving without a hack? Is that true?

I think it is!! I have 4 more days until I have to pull the trigger. Sounds strange, but I have an appointment to get it installed out of state from someone good, and I still don't have the head unit!!

I guess it's gonna be the 6600. Seems to have the best navigation, and that's what most important to me. Sounds weird, but I just moved to a large city, and get lost everytime I leave my house!!

Old 05-13-2006, 02:49 PM
Might take some time before other opinions roll in, but I would venture a guess and say the Garmin-based navi on the Kenwood is the "best", however you define it. After all, Garmin is in the business of navigation

It accepts input for traffic receivers to do dynamic reroute (either XM Navtraffic, or over FM, which I don't think any other company supports), and there is a SD card slot for upgrading the map data and the navigation software. Software updates are free, maps are not, but it's likely to be cheaper than Eclipse.

Old 05-13-2006, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by woshiagni
Might take some time before other opinions roll in, but I would venture a guess and say the Garmin-based navi on the Kenwood is the "best", however you define it. After all, Garmin is in the business of navigation

It accepts input for traffic receivers to do dynamic reroute (either XM Navtraffic, or over FM, which I don't think any other company supports), and there is a SD card slot for upgrading the map data and the navigation software. Software updates are free, maps are not, but it's likely to be cheaper than Eclipse.

How's the picture quality of the Kenwood? And exactly which model number is it? And does it play dvd's while in drive?

Old 05-13-2006, 08:26 PM
I replied to your questions in the other Kenwood thread also -- just to summarize: video quality looks good to me, specs are the same as the Z1 and slightly better than the 5435 (don't know about the 6600). It will play DVDs and accept navi inputs while moving.

Model numbers are: Kenwood DDX6019 plus the KNA-G510 navi unit.

Link to the other thread, with pictures:
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/98347-new-kenwood-ddx-6019-a.html

Old 05-13-2006, 08:28 PM
I replied to your questions in the other Kenwood thread also -- just to summarize: video quality looks good to me, specs are the same as the Z1 and slightly better than the 5435 (don't know about the 6600). It will play DVDs and accept navi inputs while moving.

Model numbers are: Kenwood DDX6019 plus the KNA-G510 navi unit.

Link to the other thread, with pictures:
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98347

What do you mean "navi inputs while moving?"

Old 05-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by GoldClam
What do you mean "navi inputs while moving?"
Some navigation systems don't accept addresses or anything else once you get going. The vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake on. Toyota OEM navigation and I think the Pioneer systems are like this, not sure about the Eclipse.

Old 05-13-2006, 09:13 PM
Some navigation systems don't accept addresses or anything else once you get going. The vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake on. Toyota OEM navigation and I think the Pioneer systems are like this, not sure about the Eclipse.

Ahhh, got it!!

I probably wouldn't input addresses while I'm driving anyways, so that doesn't matter to me. I'm looking for the best picture quality for dvd's, must play dvd's in drive, and the best navigation all rolled up into one headunit. Doesn't seem like one shines over the others.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need help deciding which double din headunit to purchase ECLIPSE?