DIY guide: KPtechnology fog module install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you ever get the fog light module to work?

I'm trying to install the fog light module on a 03 coupe based on your install post with no success. MY IPDM does not look like that.

The fog light wires are still green/white and light blue but correspond to different terminal slots on the plug. The service manual (LT.pdf page 93) shows fog lights as terminal 36 & 37 on plug E8. NOT SO ON MY CAR.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
You should be able to find the wires a little ways away from the IPDM in a harness going between the IPDM and the actual fog lights. If you split the loom open you should be able to access the wires.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KPierson
You can't connect the new fogs directly to the old fogs - you will need to use a relay. Our module has a dedicated relay output that you could use to trigger your added relay, or you could just use the fog light signal to activate your relay. I, personally, would use the fog light signal to activate the relay as the added lights would still work even with the KPtech fog light module removed.
I'm trying to install an after market foglight kit to my bumper like surfwb86. when you say "you could just use the fog light signal to activate your relay" do you mean cut 36 or 37 from IPDM and connect it to the relay?

Old 10-14-2009, 01:25 AM
A few questions:

Do i hook up the (30) blue wire from the relay to the battery as directed by KPierson in post#37?
30 - Contact common, connect to 12vdc fused source
Or to the Light Blue and White/Green wires as directed by the DIY in post#1 step 3? This is what the KP tech PDF install instructions suggest.
Originally Posted by accordfreak
bottom circle (again) connect the foglight side white/green wire to the blue wire from the relay (30) so you should have the light blue wire (fog light side), white/green wire (fog light side), and blue relay (30) wire all connected together
Does (87) Yellow from the relay hook up to the fog light outputs (Light blue & White/Green) in IPDM as directed by KPierson?
87 - Contact NO Output, Connect to fog light wires
Or to (86) White wire from relay to 12vdc power from battery as directed by DIY in post #1 Step 4?
Originally Posted by accordfreak
4) connect the yellow wire (87) and white wire (86) from the relay together. Now connect the fuse holder at the end. Connect the end of the fuse holder to the battery positive. Here I connected it directly as shown. instruction says abs module but I feel the battery is more secure. I taped it secure to the wire loom and bolted the end of the wire down.
Does (86) White on relay go to yellow on module?

Does (85) Black on relay go to orange on module?

I think i read this thread so many times that i turned my brain inside out. To much mixed info.

Need answers ASAP.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:51 AM
Banned
The info I posted in post 37 was wrong - I updated it. My appologies for any confusion.

If you have any doubt go by the installation manual that is included with the module.

As far as 86 goes you have some options - it SHOULD be connected to a switched ignition source like the install instructions show. However, it can be connected directly to the battery with a minor modification to the circuit board. More info can be found here about that: http://www.kptechnologies.com/forums...php?f=30&t=488

Old 10-14-2009, 03:54 PM
I am assuming the relay for the electronic beep module and the relay for the fog light module are the same? My relay has different color wires on it than the ones in the diy. It's not confusing cause I can just check the pin numbers. I just think that someone should update the DIY for the new relays being sold.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Banned
Yes, they are both standard Bosch style automotive relays.

Relays don't have standards for wire colors and should always be done by pin number. If AccordFreak wants to go back and remove all references to color that is up to him.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:55 AM
Received 467 Likes on 227 Posts
Did you guys ever develop a Sedan version. I went to the site under compatability and it reads 03-08 Coupe

Old 10-17-2009, 08:13 PM
Okay, I am finaly getting around to putting it in. I wired everything as directed and for some reason everything works like it did before I ever touched anything. Did I cross something? Sorry if I am an idiot. Please reply asap. Thanks! Here is a list of what I have wired with the new relays provided.

Fog light module DIY

Green on relay to yellow fused 12vdc power source

Red on relay to to yellow on module

Blue on relay to light blue on ipdm side

White on relay to orange on module

Black on relay to light blue and white/green fog light legs
(tie all three together)

Blue on module to gray on BCM

Green on module to to green on BCM

Black on module to ground on chassis.

Yellow on module to red on relay

Orange in module to white on relay

Old 10-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Banned
How long ago did you purchase the module? Does it have a small LED in the module right next to the wire harness? If so, does that LED come on when you switch the fog lights on?

Old 10-17-2009, 08:45 PM
Banned
Also, don't use wire colors on the relay, use the pin numbers. No one here, including myself, knows what the colors mean!

Old 10-17-2009, 09:20 PM
I bought the module from redlude97, so I am not sure how old the module is. The Les light does come on when I turn the fogs on. Sorry I keep forgetting to reference the numbers on the relay. I'll try again.

Fog light module DIY
Green (87) on relay to yellow fused 12vdc power source
Red (86) on relay to to yellow on module
Blue (87a) on relay to light blue on ipdm side
White (85) on relay to orange on module
Black (30) on relay to light blue and white/green fog light legs
(tie all three together)

Blue on module to gray on BCM

Green on module to to green on BCM

Black on module to ground on chassis.

Yellow on module to red on relay

Orange in module to white on relay

Old 10-18-2009, 12:22 AM
I tried connecting the yellow wire from the module to a wire on the dimmer switch to see if that would work. No luck. I also disconnected 87A from the ipdm side of the Light blue wire, and then they wouldnt turn on at all. Maybe i should switch around my constant with my switched 12vdc wires? Give constant power to the module then the switched side should go back to the relay? i find it kinda funny that it all works like OEM after all that work. Thanks again for the help and quick replys. Any Ideas? My car is an 04 like the one in the DIY.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Banned
It's actually kind of a good thing that the lights still work as OEM, as that would have been my next question.

I asked about how old the module was because only the more recent modules have the LED in the side - yours does and it turns on, so that is good. This verifies that all your wiring at the BCM is correct.

The next thing you need to verify is that with the headlights OFF when you turn the fog light switch on you can hear the KPtechnologies waterproof relay "click". If you can't hear it click you can use a volt meter to measure voltage from Pin 85 to Pin 86 - it should be battery voltage.

If the relay is turning on (ie clicking) then the only thing left to check is to verify you have voltage on Pin 87 of the relay. Where did you connect Pin 87?

Old 10-18-2009, 01:05 PM
I can hear it clicking when i turn the foglights on with the headlights on. But no clicking from the relay when the headlights are off.

I connected pin 87 to the battery. I added a fuse inline before the battery. So i am pretty confident there is power there. I'll double check anyway.

As for pins 85 & 86, is there supposed to be voltage in both, or one... can you explain? Whats the purpose of the two wires? Is 85 the negative for the relay and 86 the positive? or one a line and one a load?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY guide: KPtechnology fog module install