DIY guide: KPtechnology fog module install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 05:22 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
DIY guide: KPtechnology fog module install

edit: Slight change in the install - check out http://kptechnologies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=488

If you haven't installed the product yet go with option 1. If you have installed it go with option 2 or 3.

I got the fog light module and installed it. Works great and the install was easy.

I kinda went backwards as to the instructions. You can start with the BCM or the IPDM.

I started with the IPDM first.

1) take off the battery cover and the back plastic part that covers the bottom of the windshield and locate the IPDM (circled)

2) The harness we will be working with. Go ahead and unplug it.

3) Here are all the connections that need to be cut and connected to the relay. (It would be best to solder)

top circle- this is the blue wire that needs to be cut. After you cut it, connect the red 87a wire from the relay to the plug side.

bottom circle- connect the blue wire from the relay (30) to the light blue cut wire (fog light side)

middle circle- cut the white/green wire and wrap the wire that goes to the plug (it will not be used)

bottom circle (again) connect the foglight side white/green wire to the blue wire from the relay (30) so you should have the light blue wire (fog light side), white/green wire (fog light side), and blue relay (30) wire all connected together.

4) connect the yellow wire (87) and white wire (86) from the relay together. Now connect the fuse holder at the end. Connect the end of the fuse holder to the battery positive. Here I connected it directly as shown. instruction says abs module but I feel the battery is more secure. I taped it secure to the wire loom and bolted the end of the wire down.

5) Now it's time to modify the BCM next to the dead pedal. You will have to take off all the panels. they're all clip ons. As you see here, the BCM is exposed. I connected the ground to the chassis first (circled) (color: black)

6) I then mounted the module here and connected the power wire (yellow) to the dimmer switch(green wire) (Instruction said to connect to ignition but I only wanted the fog lights to turn on when the parking lights turn on.) You can connect it to a 12v source with ignition on if you wish. Just nothing constant 12v when the ignition is off.

edit: you have to connect the yellow wire to a constant 12v source even with the ignition off.

7) Here is the plug to the BCM that you need to solder the connections to. (It's the plug closet to the cabin with the most wires.)

top arrow- connect the blue wire from the module to the gray wire on the plug as shown.

bottom arrow- connect the green wire from the module to the green wire on the plug as shown.

8) Here's the hardest part. Routing the orange wire to the firewall. I used the grommet from the drive by wire (crap by wire ) see picture. I used a thin, sharp, and long metal spear to poke up through the grommet to bring the wire up the engine compartment. I then sealed it with silicone to prevent any leaks. (not pictured)

9) Connect the orange wire you routed through the firewall to the black wire on the relay (85) I then secured the wire to the washer fluid line.

10) DONE.

parking lights on- fog light off

parking lights on- fog light on

I hope this helps and I didn't forget anything..

thanks KPierson for the module.

Up next.. oem alarm beep beep module... stay tuned.

Last edited by accordfreak; 04-02-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Love the results but seems like a messy install. I hate the idea of "cutting" anything in any of the harnesses

Old 10-31-2006, 09:36 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
maybe i misunderstood but i thought this module allowed you to turn the fog light on by itself, i.e. without the actual headlight

Old 10-31-2006, 10:56 AM
nice write up

Old 10-31-2006, 01:00 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by aHero4Eternity
maybe i misunderstood but i thought this module allowed you to turn the fog light on by itself, i.e. without the actual headlight

the headlights are off. only the parking lights are on. you can wire the power wire of the module to the ignition if you want to turn it on and off anytime you want. I personally wanted it to only turn on with both my parking lights and headlights on/off so hooked it up to the dimmer switch 12v wire.

Old 10-31-2006, 01:05 PM
Overglorified Altima
Originally Posted by accordfreak
the headlights are off. only the parking lights are on. you can wire the power wire of the module to the ignition if you want to turn it on and off anytime you want. I personally wanted it to only turn on with both my parking lights and headlights on/off so hooked it up to the dimmer switch 12v wire.
ohhh from your headlight modi thought your headlights were on. i didnt look carefully. i get it

Old 10-31-2006, 03:11 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
^ me to i didnt notice the acctual head light wasnt on

Old 10-31-2006, 03:17 PM
ENVautoDetailing.com

Received 136 Likes on 92 Posts
is KPT selling the foglight modules now??? i've been waiting for this forever.
-GP-

Old 10-31-2006, 05:38 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
A++++ on the install, very impressive. I like how you took the KPtech instructions, changed them all around, and made an easier and cleaner install. I like how the relay is wired right to the battery and how the fog light connections were made in the same place.

The only wires you have to cut are to the fog lights and arn't critical to any crucial parts of the vehicle. When installed properly the OEM foglights will still electronically function the same way (switch tells BCM to turn fog lights on, relay clicks in IPDM and sends voltage to both fog light wires). The big difference is we have our own relay wired in a somewhat parallel fashion with the OEM relays.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow that stuff's confusing lol.. looks great though!.. you two (accordfreak + KP) are gangsters!.. lol now..

KP MAKE THE "UNLOCK YOUR CAR HAVE YOUR HEADLIGHTS AND TAILIGHTS COME ON" MOD

Old 11-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Sweet, I have been waiting for this one!

Old 11-02-2006, 04:05 PM
Overglorified Altima
Originally Posted by imandresing22
wow that stuff's confusing lol.. looks great though!.. you two (accordfreak + KP) are gangsters!.. lol now..

KP MAKE THE "UNLOCK YOUR CAR HAVE YOUR HEADLIGHTS AND TAILIGHTS COME ON" MOD

hmm..negatory

i say we get the beep beep module first

Old 11-04-2006, 05:11 PM
Kevin ,when will this be ready for sale?

Old 11-05-2006, 12:01 AM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
It's technically ready now. We'll just have to update our site to allow purchase.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
Kevin,

Did you say if this can be used to run a set of aftermarket fogs instead?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY guide: KPtechnology fog module install