DIY: How to Properly Aim 06+ Coupe Projectors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 11:50 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mal_TX
I was told by my service advisor at the dealership that the lights are "ready to go" and do not require any adjustment, just "bolting them in." So... apparently Nissan is telling dealerships aiming is not necessary with this recall
The headlights may be aimed correctly, but when installing, the headlights can angled incorrectly since the mounting points have some play in them. Thats why adjustment is necessary even after the recall.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:42 PM
DTG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to be a bit lame, but I printed out the original post and could not find the adjustment screw (i.e. the phillips head screw).

Also, I could not find any reference to how high the cutoff line should be off the ground at 25' away from the wall. All I saw was the difference between the upper and lower cutoff but no reference to either one off the ground.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I have the '06 projector headlights!

Old 07-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by DTG
Sorry to be a bit lame, but I printed out the original post and could not find the adjustment screw (i.e. the phillips head screw).

Also, I could not find any reference to how high the cutoff line should be off the ground at 25' away from the wall. All I saw was the difference between the upper and lower cutoff but no reference to either one off the ground.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. I have the '06 projector headlights!
I don't really know how to make it any clearer than this:

There isn't actually a phillips head screw there, its just a spot where you insert the phillips head screwdriver into.

The distance from the ground the lower step of the cutoff should be 2-3" bellow the middle of the projector. You have to measure this yourself, and it depends on your drop and wheel size etc. Just use a tape measure, and measure the distance from the ground up to the middle glass part of the projector. It is denoted as distance "A" in my pictures. Then measure 2-3" down from that line, and that should be the position of the lower step.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:16 PM
Premier Member

There should be a hole where the screw driver is going thru...Just shine a flash light and you will see where redlude is talking about...Thank you redlude for taking the time to do the write up...Much props...

Old 07-20-2007, 10:55 AM
DTG
Originally Posted by redlude97
I don't really know how to make it any clearer than this:

There isn't actually a phillips head screw there, its just a spot where you insert the phillips head screwdriver into.

The distance from the ground the lower step of the cutoff should be 2-3" bellow the middle of the projector. You have to measure this yourself, and it depends on your drop and wheel size etc. Just use a tape measure, and measure the distance from the ground up to the middle glass part of the projector. It is denoted as distance "A" in my pictures. Then measure 2-3" down from that line, and that should be the position of the lower step.
Thank you so much for clarifying this and your instructions were very clear but I must have missed the cross-reference of measurement A to the wall. Thanks again.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
I aimed my headlights with a laser pointer and a level (green thing with a bubble inside) and some of the tips from this thread. My headlights are without a doubt perfectly aligned for my ride height.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:45 AM
Did anyone else find that for 06 projectors in an 05 coupe, that the adjustment hole is a little too far back (towards the back of the car)? After shining a flashlight in there, I don't see the part that I can adjust... It tried just sticking a philips head screwdriver in there, but it just wiggles the cutoff a bit when I turn it. Anyone have a solution for this?

Old 08-16-2007, 03:45 AM
Originally Posted by aaron6166
Did anyone else find that for 06 projectors in an 05 coupe, that the adjustment hole is a little too far back (towards the back of the car)? After shining a flashlight in there, I don't see the part that I can adjust... It tried just sticking a philips head screwdriver in there, but it just wiggles the cutoff a bit when I turn it. Anyone have a solution for this?
If it just wiggles the cutoff a bit, then likely your screwdriver is too small and not engaging the gears correctly. Try using one with a larger head and report back

Old 08-18-2007, 06:25 PM
For my problem, it seems I just needed to push down a little harder. It didn't feel like the tip of the philipps screwdriver actually popped into a socket that was meant for it, though... I just had to apply a little pressure and keep turning. I was eventually able to get it to the right position.

I tried a few screwdrivers, thicker, thinner,longer, shorter - the first one I used turned out to be best. I just had to wiggle it a bit before it went all the way in. And by 'all the way in,' I mean until it feels like it hit the bottom.

I also noticed that just by pressing down, something was flexing and moving the cutoff - so I had to adjust, remove the screwdriver, check, readjust, remove, check...

Old 08-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
this is all great info thanks, I'll put it to good use when I get my 07 headlights.

Old 09-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
thanks for the write up

Old 11-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks!! This helps a lot!!
I suggest everyone check their lights and do this. I can't stand it when somebody blinds me with their lights..

Old 11-17-2007, 08:33 PM
anybody know how different the procedure would be if you could only find .. say 5 feet of level ground instead of 25 feet?

Old 11-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by DefJux921
anybody know how different the procedure would be if you could only find .. say 5 feet of level ground instead of 25 feet?

Yes.... quick, go get a piece of paper and write this down.

Step 1
Get your keys

Step 2
Unlock your car door

Step 3
Lift your right foot and in a angular movement place with in the cars driver side compartment

Step 4
Turning your body away from the car slightly bend at the waist and slide yourself info the driver seat

Step 5
Lift your left leg and pivot your leg at the hip and swing your leg to be with in the car... wouldn't want to close the door on u'r self (door closing instruction to come later)

Cliff notes............................ drive to a place that has a level ground and you can be at 25' away from the wall

Old 11-26-2007, 08:09 PM
fgc moderator
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by DefJux921
the only thing that should be different is your slope (b) since your height (a) and width (c) are matched to your car. im sure you can get more technical but just do a basic ratio for (b) with your distance.

(b) = (new distance/25 ft) * 2.5

hope that makes sense.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: How to Properly Aim 06+ Coupe Projectors