DIY: Painting the lower sills on an 03/04 sedan

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:01 PM
Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by trey's wife
I swear to god I will call whoever I need to call to close this thread if it doesn't stop RIGHT NOW!
Or I'll just delete it and post it again. I'll just wait and see what the intentions are of certain individuals.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grille

Hey guys... I want to paint my oem grille black. I have seen a process that uses canned spray primer and canned krylon paint. It looks nice... the process is to sand off the silver finish, use solvents to remove contaminants, prime while sanding between coats and then apply five coats of Krylon flat black spray paint. What do you think? Should I use some kind of product to help adherence or what? I would like to end up with a gloss finish but would like it to be something I can do without special equipment...

Old 11-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MALCHEMY
Hey guys... I want to paint my oem grille black. I have seen a process that uses canned spray primer and canned krylon paint. It looks nice... the process is to sand off the silver finish, use solvents to remove contaminants, prime while sanding between coats and then apply five coats of Krylon flat black spray paint. What do you think? Should I use some kind of product to help adherence or what? I would like to end up with a gloss finish but would like it to be something I can do without special equipment...
pics of my grill:
https://g35driver.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=479

instructions:
https://g35driver.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=481

You deff dont need fancy equipment...follow my instructions my grill has been dent/scratch/chip free since september and this is after several highway trips and a track meet. If you want a shinier glossier black then instead of Flat Black Krylon paint just get gloss or semi-gloss duplicolor paint.

Oh and by the way this whole thread is about painting your SILLS not your GRILLS.

To OP, good work

Old 11-14-2007, 01:36 AM
good work, thanks for sharing~!!

Old 11-14-2007, 07:52 AM
I know it is a bit off topic. I do want to say that I don't think there are better people to have posted that question to! You did a great job on your sills and other trim man. As for the master painter you rock too. I relate to this type of stuff because I am never afraid to jump in and push myself to the limit; I respect anyone who holds the same values. Oh... and whoever that bitter loser is I wouldn't worry about him... your trim looks sooo hot!

Old 11-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by MALCHEMY
I know it is a bit off topic. I do want to say that I don't think there are better people to have posted that question to! You did a great job on your sills and other trim man. As for the master painter you rock too. I relate to this type of stuff because I am never afraid to jump in and push myself to the limit; I respect anyone who holds the same values. Oh... and whoever that bitter loser is I wouldn't worry about him... your trim looks sooo hot!
Thanks, that does mean a lot. Like you, I'm not afraid to jump into most projects. I avoid projects that a way over my head, but for most of my auto/home projects, I'm not afraid to give it a shot. I just weigh out the expense and the FUBAR factor. Some things are best left to the professionals and most things can be done by a DIYer with just a little research and time. People shouldn't be afraid to try things. The amount of money you can save is amazing. Right now I have about 5 local people wanting me to paint gray auto parts on their Gs, Mini's, and Honda/Acuras. They're all offering $400-500 plus materials for the work, but I'm decling until I feel like I can give them a basically flawless finish.

Last edited by DaveB; 11-26-2007 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:22 PM
That rocks!!! Sounds like we have a lot in common! If your ever in the area we can meet up and take our engines apart or some nonsense...

~Peace~

Old 03-21-2008, 09:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

FWIW, I went to Cupertino Body Shop (in the Bay Area, CA) this week, and they gave me and estimate to paint my 04 sedan's rear bumper and sills: $940!

Because I've used them in the past for a couple accidents, they said they could charge me $800 if I paid cash. If I only wanted to do the sills, then this would bring it down to $600.

Thanks for your invaluable DIY--I'm now seriously considering doing the job myself.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by heftylefty58
FWIW, I went to Cupertino Body Shop (in the Bay Area, CA) this week, and they gave me and estimate to paint my 04 sedan's rear bumper and sills: $940!

Because I've used them in the past for a couple accidents, they said they could charge me $800 if I paid cash. If I only wanted to do the sills, then this would bring it down to $600.

Thanks for your invaluable DIY--I'm now seriously considering doing the job myself.
For that kind of money, why not do it yourself? You can get a Husky compressor with an included tool set, detail gun, and all your painting supplies for under $500. For another $200 you get a set of good impact sockets and a 500 ft/lb impact gun. Then you'd be set to do all kinds of stuff. I use my air tools far more than I thought. I used the provided paint sprayer (one included in the Husky kit) to paint the exposed ceiling in my basement and also some furniture. Talk about a God-send. Air tools rock.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DaveB
For that kind of money, why not do it yourself?
Heh, I'd love to take that approach--especially if it saves me some money in the long run. Unfortunately, I've got a toddler, and another one on the way. So, I don't have a whole lot of extra time available these days after factoring in the family, work, and the infamous honey-do list.

...one day....