DIY: KP Deluxe Mirror Tilt Down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 10:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DIY: KPtechnology Deluxe Mirror Tilt Down

Hey guys I thought I'd post a DIY for the KP deluxe mirror tilt down as only the single one exists. It took me awhile to figure out how to get both wired up and I think with the wiring diagram I created, the installment will be much easier and save everyone time. I borrowed some pics off of accordfreak and KP as the wiring for the deluxe is very similar to the single module one.

Basically our cars have left and right mirrors that share a common wire – the yellow wire from the mirror switch.

There is information about interfacing the common wire in our KPtechnolgies support forum - http://kptechnologies.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1000

Note: The red, yellow, black, and purple wires from both modules can be wired in the same locations.

Use this guide at your own risk. I am not responsible for any errors you have caused. If you have any questions regarding beyond this DIY please post on this thread and KPtechnologies will reply as soon as they can. If you catch an error on this DIY, please let me know so I can correct the error. Thanks.

Before install note:
If you have other KPtechnologies unit, you can connect the red (12volt constant) and yellow wire (12v ignition power) to the same location as your other units. If you don't, follow the guide for the yellow and red wire.

1) Red wire (12v constant) remove the plug by pressing the two clips on the side for wiring simplicity on the BCM. Connect the red wire to the 12v constant wire pictured below. (BCM plug)
[IMG][/IMG]

2) Yellow wire (12v ignition power) I use a wire end spade like this one and used one of the empty slots on the fuse box.

By Retzius

By Retzius

3) Black Wire- connect the ground wire. I used the ground point pictured below for all my KP modules.
[IMG][/IMG]

4) Purple wire- reverse input- This wire is located on the passenger side under the glove box. (you have to remove your glove box.) The reverse input wire is located on the white box as shown below. You have to unbolt the 10mm bolt and lift the white box upwards and out to free it from the bracket. (see below)

Note: My car (2005 G35 coupe) did not have the reverse input wire located where accordfreak found his. I will post his location but I will also post pics of my cars reverse input wire location. Its much easier to tap in where I found the reverse input wire.

His location
[IMG][/IMG]

By Retzius

The reverse wire to be tapped.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Location where I found mine. I found there to be 3 purple wires and got lucky on the first try where I found mine. You are going to have to check with a volt meter to see which one is your reverse input. When in park, the reverse input wire you tap should read 0vdc using the volt meter. When you place it in reverse it should read 12vdc. Here is a pic of where I found mine. The bundle of wires are located by the kick panel on the drivers side. You have to remove it and then open up the bundle by breaking up the zip tie with a blade/scissors.
[IMG][/IMG]

5)Remove the lower panel plastic on the driverside and located/remove the plug on the mirror switch

Now, here is the difference with the deluxe version. In order to wire up both modules you are going to have to cut the yellow, blue/red, and red/white wires on the switch. You will have to connect the wires from the modules to both cut ends.

6) cut the yellow, blue/red, and red/white wire. Make sure you have enough slack to solder or crimp connections

By Retzius

7) Blue wire (mirror up output)
Once the yellow wire has been cut. Solder or butt together the blue wires from both KP modules with the yellow wire (MIRROR side)

8) green wire (mirror up input)
Solder or butt together both green wires from the KP modules with the other cut yellow wire (SWITCH SIDE)

9) Brown wire from KP passenger module( mirror down output)
Once the red/white wire has been cut. Solder or butt together the brown wire with the cut red/white wire (MIRROR side)

10) Orange from KP passenger module (mirrow down input)
Solder or butt together the ORANGE wire with the other cut red/white wire (SWITCH SIDE)

11) Brown wire from KP driver module (mirror down output)
Solder or butt together the BROWN wire with the cut blue/red wire (MIRROR SIDE)

12) Orange wire from KP driver module (mirror down output)
Solder or butt together the ORGANGE wire with the cut blue/red wire (Switch Side)

Here is the diagram for the deluxe mirror tilt down modules

Good luck with the install and be sure to secure all connections.

Last edited by Retzius; 01-01-2008 at 02:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
blAk mAx (10-20-2011)
Old 01-02-2008, 04:34 AM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
thanks. i think i'll move my reverse wire to the driver's side

Old 01-02-2008, 05:19 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you for the awesome writeup. I just tweaked it a bit. I got my fog light module installed as well by your write up.

It is easier to run the reverse input at that location.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Great write up!

Old 04-23-2008, 12:20 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
Old 10-26-2008, 09:24 PM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
Thanks for posting up this DIY!

I followed this thread, accordfreak's thread, and the DIY on KP Technologies' site to wire up a single module in my 2005 5AT coupe:

Red Wire - I connected the red wire to the #55 (red/white) wire on the BCM
Yellow Wire - I tapped the white/blue wire in the harness per the official DIY. Note, there are 2 white/blue wires in the harness- tap the thicker one.
Black Wire - Used the ground point per Accordfreak's / Retzius' DIYs. I didn't see a need to mess around with the VDC ground since the other point was easily accessible.
Purple Wire - I tapped the wire harness on the driver's side per this DIY and the official writeup on KP's site. There were 3 purple wires - one twisted together with an orange wire, one towards the pedals, and one kinda hidden in the back towards the door (this is the wire you need and its pretty close to where you see it in the picture).
Mirror Wires - Same as all of the DIY's. Its a real b!tch to get the harness free because its a tight space, the release is small, and the plastic tie is hard to cut. Just take your time.

Thanks again guys!

Old 10-20-2011, 09:59 PM
Received 354 Likes on 214 Posts
nice