DIY: 7443 Turn signal mod for 06 housings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by IvoryGT
Yes. With slight modification to one of the notches. Also keep in mind if you are using switchback LEDs, the green is the ground on the socket not the black.

READ. Thx.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

^ Hey Paul, thanks for the reply to my IM. I see you also posted a reply here - thanks for the help! P.s. I'm not using <<LEDS>> I'm using normal halogen bulbs, so when I originally read (I did read, I promise) this post from you way back, I ignored b/c I thought it was specific to <<LEDS>> and not the normal bulbs.

I got the wiring completed. I had to try a few combination's to get it to work. The outcome is basically what is listed on this post with a few differences (not sure if it was already talked about - I re-read every single post here again and didn't see).

1.) I didn't have to remove any 'notches' on the 7443 plug w/ pigtails from autolumination. The plugs between the 7440 that was on my 2006 headlamps that I cut off and the new 7443 were practically identical in design. I just had to turn the socket a little harder when I was installing.

2.) My parking lights stay on when I select the parking light selector on the steering column stalk. BUT....it must be some way I wired them, b/c my parking lights are the turn signal lights. Basically my the parking lights that come on and stay on (constant) are BRIGHT as he**. Which I love, but worried it might cause overheating problems in the lamp bezel??

3.) When I put my turn signal on, the AMBER light blinks, but blinks with the filament in the bulb that is meant for the constant parking lights. Basically it much dimmer. I can see this when I put my turn signal on and when I lock/un-lock the car, b/c the normal DIMMER parking light (not the brighter turn signal filament) blinks. I believe when I had my normal (OEM Wired) 2003 head lamps on, the BRIGHTER 'turn signal' amber light would FLASH when I locked/un-locked the car and of course when I put my turn signal on. Now it's reversed.

4.) I did see a mention of the word "Hyperflashing" or something along those lines - but again thought it was in reference to the use of LED's for this project instead of the normal halogen glass bulbs. So, basically when I put my turn signal on, it blinks three times faster than it did on my 2003 lamps.

All in all, I am in Freaking LOVE with this new setup!!!!

I ran my new 6,500K lamps along with the parking lights (which are now bright as f***) and was behind a car where I could see what the lights <setup> looked like in the reflection coming off the car in front of me, and all I can say is "HOLY WOW BATMAN!!!!" It looks so sick!!!!

A massive THANKS to Paul and the rest of you fine members. I've been watching this forum since the car debuted in 2003 and became a member in 2005 and have gotten nothing but fantastic help from you fellas modding this car. A SINCERE THANKS TO YOU ALL!!!

Will post pics of what mine look like if anyone is interested?

Thanks Guys!
-WoW

Old 07-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Maybe if you switch the black and the red wiring on the socket it might help.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:11 PM
^ I'll try that if it ever gives me issues - I like the parking lights running bright, looks really cool.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:42 AM
^ I'll try that if it ever gives me issues - I like the parking lights running bright, looks really cool.
Well I have my first issues. Running the parking lights (bright) constantly has already FADED the amber colored bulbs to look more like a yellow than an orange.

I'll have to get around to pulling the headlamps back out and try to switch the black and red wiring like Paul said.

I'll post pictures to see what wiring config works and what doesn't work - b/c the wiring I have in place now is the ONLY config that would work period as far as keeping the turn signals lit constantly as 'parking lights' - but like I said, it was using the much brigther filament within the bulb usually reserved when the turn signal was triggered. Any other wiring config that I tried equaled NO parking lights staying on.

I might have to take pictures of the wiring setup and a corresponding pic of the outcome of what the lamps are doing with that setup and let PAUL check out what I might be doing wrong.

It's been hitting almost a 100 degrees here in GA lately, so I'll have to wait (well not have to - but want to, LOL) until it cools down some to start dropping the bumper and dealing with the headlamp wiring again - but hopefully it will help others that have purchased their 7443 sockets from http://autolumination.com/7443_7440.htm

Paul,

As a side note. With the current wiring configuration that I have - would I be able to run LED's rather than halegon? Maybe the LED's will keep their COLORING with the brighter output - I'm sure they would, correct?

If I wanted to do this - what would have I have to do other than purchase the 7443 LED bulbs?

Thanks Guys!
-WoW

Old 07-24-2010, 05:26 PM
The LED bulbs might require a load resistor for the blinker so it doesnt hyper blink.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:57 AM
The LED bulbs might require a load resistor for the blinker so it doesnt hyper blink.
^ I have the halogen bulbs in now and however I have it wired, they "hyper blink" already. Can someone explain what this "hyper blinking" is???

Thanks Guys!
-WoW

Old 07-31-2010, 02:23 PM
hyperblinking is when the LEDs combined to have less resistance than the halogen bulb, the OEM flasher relay detects this as a blown bulb and blinks fast. To fix this you will have to either replace the oem flasher relay or simply add load resistors across the + and - of the blinker wires.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:23 PM
hyperblinking is when the LEDs combined to have less resistance than the halogen bulb, the OEM flasher relay detects this as a blown bulb and blinks fast. To fix this you will have to either replace the oem flasher relay or simply add load resistors across the + and - of the blinker wires.
Ok, this makes sense if I were using LED's in the 2006 headlamps - but I'm not - so why am I getting this "hyper flashing"?

Thanks Guys!
-WoW

Old 08-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Best guess is its probably because you do not have the city light plugged in while you have the turn signal connected to it. I'm wiring up my setup now with a autolumination 7443 plug, so hopefully I get the wires right.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Well i got the wiring all finished up, I tested numerous times before finishing up the wiring to make sure it would work. Hit a few snags with the autolumination 7443 sockets, but all I had to do was mess with how the contacts engaged with the bulb and it sorted everything out. Ended up being 1.5-hrs of panic-diagnosing before I figured out it was just the contacts.

So the 7443 socket is wired in and secured to the city light power lead as well. Hopefully I will have them in friday evening and hopefully my bulb combinations work out like I want (yellow fogs and yellow city lights)!

Whiteonwheat, as far as your reverse blinking issue goes (bright sidemarker, dim flasher), after doing my setup with the same sockets and using 7443 bulbs (I'm not using led bulbs) I would have to say that maybe you have the wires reversed for the two different filaments. I attached the bright filament lead from the 7443 socket to the 7440 OEM harness because that is the one that is supposed to activate during blinking action. I took the dim power lead from the 7443 socket and connected that one to the city light socket. On the autolumination harness that would be the red/blue wire connected to the city lights yellow/green wire. So maybe look into that when you check out your set up again. otherwise I still think you are getting the hyper blinking because you do not have a bulb in the city light position.

Here are the photos of the wiring:

Again, I took the autolumination's 7443 teal/yellow-stripe wire and connected that to the OEM green/yellow-stripe wire and obviously the black ground to black ground. I then took the extra 7443 socket red/blue-stripe wire and a snap connector clip to splice into the OEM city light's yellow/green-stripe wire.

We'll find out Friday night if this all worked I suppose.

Last edited by idrive_MD; 08-04-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Great Info Lester!

I'll have to wait until the weather cools down some to correct my issues.

Which 7443 bulbs did you get the:
Natural Glass Xenon - Natural Glass Never Fades
or
Glass Filament Bulbs

?

I contacted autolumniation and they said the Glass has a more "rich" amber color, but in time will fade. The "natural glass xenon" was said to be not as "bright" or "rich", but the amber color will never fade.

-Wyatt

Old 08-07-2010, 12:50 PM
i just went with the chrome covered amber turn signal bulbs

Old 08-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Sweet - maybe post some pics of the lights off and on when you get a chance would be awesome. Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Thanks Guys!
-WoW

Old 08-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im a douche sorry ha but what is this mod? whats it do for our 06's? im a douche for asking idc i know

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: 7443 Turn signal mod for 06 housings