Diy: Sticky For Window Motor Repairs/door Panel Removal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JPilla19
Newb question, but when performing the window motor reset, how do you get the window to go up or down when the door panel (and window buttons) have been taken off of the door?

I think my driver's side needs the reset, and my passenger side needs a new motor AND a reset. They should have made it so that you can do the reset without taking anything off!
remove door panel, pop the switch unit out of the door panel (it pops out easily), plug that into the door and let it dangle from the wires while you do the reset procedure.

Old 11-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window motor brushes

If window motor replacement companies ask for your used window motor cores to get your deposits refunded, then window motor cores can be rebuilt.

A few of the members on this and other Nissan forums e.g.350zdriver, say that they DIY rebuilds of window motors with RC brushes.

I can do this, pop out the worn brushes and pop in the new brushes. However, it is better to have the replacement brushes handy than running all over town locating a matching pair.

My question is: What are the size, weight, dimensions of the brushes for a 2003-2004 G35 Coupe window motor?

Anyone know? It would be a great help.

Old 11-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Ahnuld
If window motor replacement companies ask for your used window motor cores to get your deposits refunded, then window motor cores can be rebuilt.

A few of the members on this and other Nissan forums e.g.350zdriver, say that they DIY rebuilds of window motors with RC brushes.

I can do this, pop out the worn brushes and pop in the new brushes. However, it is better to have the replacement brushes handy than running all over town locating a matching pair.

My question is: What are the size, weight, dimensions of the brushes for a 2003-2004 G35 Coupe window motor?

Anyone know? It would be a great help.

i've rebuilt mine and wrote a thread on it.

I don't have the dimensions of the stock brushes because I haven't taken apart a new window motor that didn't have destroyed brushes.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Will this also work on a 2006 coupe drivers side door, I see most cars are 2003 - 2005? My drivers side window, goes up very slowly and I have to hit the door panel to get it up, and sometimes even pull the window up manually, so I'm thinking it maybe the motor, but also think it could be the regulator, just not sure. Doesn't make any strange nosies so I'm thinking most likely the motor, so I would like to try what you have suggested, but just want to make sure if this could work for a 2006? Thanks!

Old 12-05-2009, 02:15 PM
slow window movement or even stopped is usually the motor.

if it's popping or grinding (usually very loud popping) then the regulator is going bad. I had to replace both on mine. It was popping and grinding so i replaced the regulator then it just stopped going up and down so i rebuilt the motor. Faster and better than new now!

Old 12-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by binder
slow window movement or even stopped is usually the motor.
I have a 03 Coupe, the passenger side window usually goes up slowly, and at times very slowly. I am debating on tearing into the door to take a look. Could the motor simply need a cleaning? The car only has 38k on it. What do you guys think??

Thanks for your time!

Old 12-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by Footballmania32
I have a 03 Coupe, the passenger side window usually goes up slowly, and at times very slowly. I am debating on tearing into the door to take a look. Could the motor simply need a cleaning? The car only has 38k on it. What do you guys think??

Thanks for your time!
not likely. the brushes are probably shot. you'll find out when you open it up.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:22 PM
g35man04, Best DIY Sticky ever! Thank you! You saved me much more than the $200.00 motor replacement cost and labor.

In San Diego, dealership wanted $500 plus per door parts and labor - assuming, of course, that the regulator did not need replacement and since one of my door lock actuators was starting to act up, they would fix it "while we're at it" since the panel was off anyway.

If I may, here are my two bits from my experience doing this maintenance:
  • I own the 2004 coupe with 72,000 miles, although windows had been acting up on and off since 61,000 miles.
  • With sweat equity, I did it for $25.00 - $7.00 for a can of CRC Electronic Cleaner from Pep Boys, $10.00 for a spray can of 3-In-One White Lithium Grease, and $8.00 for a 5-piece kit Actron panel, trim and molding removal set. I got the grease and panel removers from Amazon with free S/H. Cool.
  • Learning curve on first door about 1-1/2 hours including coffee breaks. Second door under 45 minutes easily.
  • While at it, I cleaned off the old grease on the regulators and sprayed on the White Lithium grease. It sprays on as a foam and then gels up as a grease, wipe off the foam wherever you do not want grease, then it sets up. Also, perfect for the motor spindle and worm gear.
  • The most amazing item is the electron cleaner. Spray it onto and into the entire motor until the liquid runs clear. Every piece of crud dissolves and washes out and leaves no residue. No q-tips needed! Don't forget to do the brushes, too.
  • Then with a strip of fine emery cloth and some of the electronic cleaner as a lubricate, shined up the commutator. I did use a toothpick for good measure, although it turned out not necessary for me.
  • I found out at an RC site, remote control cars, that the biggest motor problem they have was brush dust closing the gaps on the commutator, actually shorting out the motor. That's why they are changing over to brushless motors. [Hear that Infiniti/Nissan?]
  • Finally - Reset the window motors - the how to's are all over this forum

Again, thank you. Both windows have been performing beautifully.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:34 PM
Update on my window issue, after doing troubleshooting, I finally decided to buy the motor, installed it and yes now the windows goes up and down. But the only issue now is if I do the auto up window goes up all the way and then comes back down a couple of inches. If I do not use the auto feature it works fine. If I do auto down it works just fine. So the next step is for me to do the reset programming, I will let you know if that works for me. Thanks for your info Binder really helped me figure out what part I needed!

Old 12-21-2009, 12:04 AM
After doing the motor reset programming, it works like a champ! I would like to thank Binder for helping me with the part troubleshooting which helped me figure out what part I needed. Thanks to Breftayka, you made it a heck of alot eaiser to do the reset, just by removing the sticker and not having to remove the metal door piece again, after I had already put back together the metal door piece. I did not want to remove it again, its a pain and saved me lots of time. And Thanks to Cassman, I followed the instructions for the motor reset and that fixed the auto roll-up issue I had. And thank you so much G35man04, if you would of not started this post and without the pictures you posted I would of been broke, thanks you saved me $$. Total amount I spend $113.41 for motor that was it. Thanks to eveyone else that posted here, you all helped me resolve issue much quicker.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:35 PM
thanks for the great write up, mine also would sometimes go down up or other wackyness and u'd have to hit the door while holding the switch for it to move.

tip: when cleaning the motor, to remove the brush assembly out of the base, unscrew it rather than just yank it out like i did. The big gear is plastic and who knows how much life left on those itty bitty teeth.

I also used a small piece of scothbrite to clean all the carbon buildup off the brushes, shiny clean and now the window goes up and down very fast.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:55 PM
glad you got it fixed jsanz

Old 12-24-2009, 02:57 PM
hopeful,

Great idea to clean and brighten up the brushes. Hopefully, I'll never have to clean my motors again. LOL. Yeah, like that will happen. I think the next time the motors go out it will be time to call into service binder's expertise.

BTW - my neighbor's Maxima's windows are acting up in that ol' familiar pattern. Do you think maybe...?

Thanks guys, and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:05 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
This worked perfectly! Thanks for the DIY advice!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Ahnuld
hopeful,

Great idea to clean and brighten up the brushes. Hopefully, I'll never have to clean my motors again. LOL. Yeah, like that will happen. I think the next time the motors go out it will be time to call into service binder's expertise.

BTW - my neighbor's Maxima's windows are acting up in that ol' familiar pattern. Do you think maybe...?

Thanks guys, and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.
i would be happy to help.

and yes, the maxima window motors probably have worn out brushes.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Diy: Sticky For Window Motor Repairs/door Panel Removal