Diy: Sticky For Window Motor Repairs/door Panel Removal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Received 295 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by g35man04
you are welcome! I am working on a couple of other rights up on the car....If anyone has any ideas on what they are looking for I can do another one.
i haven't completely read this whole thread, but how about a write up in replacing a door lock actuator. not the $5 fix.. but the actual OEM door lock actuator and removal of window to do so...?

lmk

Alf

Old 07-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the post, I found it useful in taking my door apart.

The issue I am having is the driver side window (on a 2003.5 sedan) goes down a few inches after doing the auto up. So I thought I would fix this by reseting the motor. Unfortunetly, resetting hasn't worked, the window still does the same thing as before. Any other ideas on what might be causing it?

In terms of the reset procedure... I did read the FSM on how to do it but just want to double check... when you do the whole sequence, press and hold the down button while pressing the reset, then let go of the reset and press and hold the up... I am wondering am I supposed to do this without a pause in between (that is go right away from down to up)? The instructions in the FSM are super simple but now I'm just trying to think of any other reason why it might have not worked for me.

On a positive note, there was a rattle in the front door that is now gone as a result of taken off the panel, so it wasn't a fully wasted effort.

Thanks,
Alex

Old 07-18-2009, 05:37 PM
I took apart the driverside again, used fine sandpaper (2000 grit) and cleaned the rotor which contacts the brushes. The brushes look worn, and I think that is where the problem lies - does anyone know if the brushes are replacable? Or does the whole damn thing need to be replaced? Its working again - for how long though is the real question....

Old 07-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Kingrukus, was yours not working at all before this or the just auto up wasn't working properly?

Old 07-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very helpful took me about a hr and a half dam screw was stripped. But easy to do thanks...

Old 07-27-2009, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by G35fromTO
Kingrukus, was yours not working at all before this or the just auto up wasn't working properly?
Basically, it would go up/down only when I would hold the up/down button whiles shaking the door...after that it would work fine.

I cleaned the motor again, this time with fine grit sandpaper, brake cleaner and even MAF cleaner. However now, the window will go up/down again only when I shake the door AND when it goes up, it will come back down unless I keep the button held down. I guess I need to do a reset?

Any ideas here?

Thanks

Old 07-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Originally Posted by G35fromTO
Thanks for the post, I found it useful in taking my door apart.

The issue I am having is the driver side window (on a 2003.5 sedan) goes down a few inches after doing the auto up. So I thought I would fix this by reseting the motor. Unfortunetly, resetting hasn't worked, the window still does the same thing as before. Any other ideas on what might be causing it?

In terms of the reset procedure... I did read the FSM on how to do it but just want to double check... when you do the whole sequence, press and hold the down button while pressing the reset, then let go of the reset and press and hold the up... I am wondering am I supposed to do this without a pause in between (that is go right away from down to up)? The instructions in the FSM are super simple but now I'm just trying to think of any other reason why it might have not worked for me.

On a positive note, there was a rattle in the front door that is now gone as a result of taken off the panel, so it wasn't a fully wasted effort.

Thanks,
Alex
I am having the same issue

Old 07-28-2009, 12:04 AM
Great write up...I just finished cleaning and reinstalling everything...works better than ever...Thanks

Old 07-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by topprospect16
I am having the same issue
Here is an idea... lower the windows by about 1-2 cms which are coming down after you use the auto-up function and have a look if they are parallel to the "sash" which I believe is just the weater stripping/rubber thing that the window slides into (as opposed to being slightly uncentered and pressing against one of the sides when it goes up). If they aren't then an adjustment of the glass position is required on the window regulator.

The FSM suggests performing the above inspection anytime the glass has been re-installed, motor replaced, etc. I could see overtime the glass moving away from its proper position as things loosen up and so that's why the auto reset isn't working on our windows because the window's anti-pinch system detects hitting the sash even if you do a reset.

Let me know what you see on your car. I will have a look later today at mine. I can't really think of anything else because my window motor is working just fine.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:11 AM
I'd like to warn everyone to be very careful when taking the motor apart. I had both of mine apart for a cleaning and tune up and I ended up shattering the very very delicate pieces of soft metal that make contact with the motor (brushes). Just be very careful that the gear on the shaft comes out nice and straight and doesn't touch the sides when removing or replacing it. Now I have a $150 bill for a new window motor because of my stupid mistake!

Old 08-09-2009, 05:40 PM
I'm having a problem with my driver's side window, but it seems a little different than most I've read on here.

The other day I hit auto down on my ds window. Then I heard a crazy noise. It was def. the window motor, sort of a rrrrrrr pause rrrrrrrrr pause, and repeated about 5 or 6 times until the window went all the way down. Initially I was like, ****, my motor just went out. But it actually rolled right back up with the power switch.

I didn't think much of it until I tried to roll it down again, and nothing happens. It doesn't even roll down the tiny bit it normally does when you open the door. I've also tried the auto down with my remote to see if it would roll down, but no dice. It's basically like my driver's side is completely dead.

I was hoping to find someone with a similar issue. I haven't noticed the motor lagging or slowing down at all. This was very sudden. I'm trying to troubleshoot what the issue could be. At this point, I don't think it's in my door switch, so it's either a power supply issue to the motor, or the motor itself.

Also, is there a dedicated fuse for the motors? I suppose that's the first place I should start.

Thanks for the feedback ahead of time.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My passenger side was completely inop. Nowhere local had the motor in stock, so I decided to clean mine. After cleaning the motor was operational again. I put everything back together without doing the reset. Now my window doesn't do the sealing motion when opening and closing the door. I plan on taking it apart again tomorrow or tonight before I purchase a new motor.
Does anyone have detailed instruction on the reset procedure? I had the motor completely apart for cleaning and do not remember a reset button on it.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:17 PM
I haven't torn into mine yet, but the brushes are simply contacts and will wear over time. This is the downside to DC motors. The brushes alternate between positive and negative to enact the magnetic force on the motor necessary to make it move. AC alternates between postive and negative without the use of contacts, so you have no points of contact to wear out, except for bearings.

Assuming the issue is indeed the contacts, I think it's worth a shot to try to repair them. Radio shack might have something in stock, if not, google might be your friend. If your motor is shot anyway, you're certainly not going to hurt anything giving this a shot. I'm gonna try it myself if mine doesn't straighten up after cleaning.

The question I have for everyone is why does hitting the middle of you door cause the motor to function?

Old 08-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok mine is working like new again after doing the simple reset. I thought I was gonna have to take out all of the bolts again but Nissan/Infiniti made it easy to reset the motor.

I dont know if I missed it, but to do the reset remove the 3 bolts holding the panel and it is behind the smaller sticker on the metal door piece. Remove the sticker and its a little nipple poking out.

With the door open roll the window completely up without using the auto function. (Barely lift up until the window rolls up.
Close the door with you inside the vehicle.
Hold the reset button down while you press the window switch down to roll the window down. Do not use the auto roll down.
After rolling it completely down give it a couple seconds and then release both buttons.
Now you roll the window completely up without using the auto function and give it a couple of seconds before releasing.
Now you should be good. Roll down the window to open the door from the outside.

Thanks for all the help through this thread.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:44 PM
great write up bro, i was kind of stucked removing my driverside panel until i saw your post. thank you bro, hopefully ill be able to fix mines by tomorrow !!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Diy: Sticky For Window Motor Repairs/door Panel Removal