Diy: Sticky For Window Motor Repairs/door Panel Removal

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CRyan
I just performed this DIY. Thanks for posting it.

The motor now has a LOT of power again (not slow and not getting stuck midway anymore). So cleaning it really worked!

However, if I put the window ALL the way UP or ALL the way DOWN, it gets stuck there and I have to beat on the door to get it to go. I did the reset but that hasnt helped this problem. Actually, I had a hard time doing the reset because almost every time I put the window all the way up or down it gets stuck.

Any ideas on what I need to do so it doesnt get stuck in the extreme up or down positions??? Is there some adjustment I am missing? Thanks for any help.
the motor is shot. cleaning wont fix the fact that there isn't enough pressure to make a good contact on the armature. Needs new brushes/new motor.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys im have a problem here... I took everything apart just fine and cleaned my motor but for some reason the golden metal part i cant seem to close it so that its flush so i can screw it back onto the motor... any ideas?

Old 05-29-2010, 11:53 PM
hey guys, so i did this today because my window has been acting up, go up too much or etc.. my motor has no problems but just didnt know the limit where it should stop moving up or down (so i think it just needed the limit reset). my window was always closed and up all the way with and a little down (automatically). When i took the plastic door panel off (not the metal panel), i loosened the screws holding the window motor.. (i forgot), and i attempted to put my windows down, so then it made this cranking noise and it stopped moving..so i stopped trying to move it, i went ahead and cleaned the motor anyway. I left the motor on, but took out the cover and cleaned the inside.. the copper is clean and shiny, the part where the turbine sat in went from black to white.. i put everything back in and now my window doesnt work at all.. any suggestions? maybe the contact points? did i mess up the motor somehow when i tried to put it down when the motor wasn't tightly screwed in? or could it be the regulators?

i'm going to take it apart tomorrow again, and actually remove, check and remount the motor.. what should i be aware of and checkin to make sure it works?

thanks

Last edited by DigitalMaxz; 05-30-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by MrPooN
Hey guys im have a problem here... I took everything apart just fine and cleaned my motor but for some reason the golden metal part i cant seem to close it so that its flush so i can screw it back onto the motor... any ideas?
i'm confused on what you are talking about so post pictures.

Originally Posted by DigitalMaxz
hey guys, so i did this today because my window has been acting up, go up too much or etc.. my motor has no problems but just didnt know the limit where it should stop moving up or down (so i think it just needed the limit reset). my window was always closed and up all the way with and a little down (automatically). When i took the plastic door panel off (not the metal panel), i loosened the screws holding the window motor.. (i forgot), and i attempted to put my windows down, so then it made this cranking noise and it stopped moving..so i stopped trying to move it, i went ahead and cleaned the motor anyway. I left the motor on, but took out the cover and cleaned the inside.. the copper is clean and shiny, the part where the turbine sat in went from black to white.. i put everything back in and now my window doesnt work at all.. any suggestions? maybe the contact points? did i mess up the motor somehow when i tried to put it down when the motor wasn't tightly screwed in? or could it be the regulators?

i'm going to take it apart tomorrow again, and actually remove, check and remount the motor.. what should i be aware of and checkin to make sure it works?

thanks
it sounded like you just needed a reset. I'm not sure how you put it back together, maybe you put something together wrong. I'm confused why you didn't just take the motor out to clean it. That would be the smartest move so it would be put back together the proper way.

for future reference, the regulator is just the cables and gears that move the window. It doesn't have anything to do with electronics.

i'd have to see how it was put together to make sure it is together correctly.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:04 AM
So I did this DIY and it worked like a charm. Now I have a problem where I can't get the bolts to tighten up that hold the actuator to the metal frame. More specifically the left bolt on the driver side door.

I have already opened up the door twice to find that the left bolt is completely off and falls down when I take apart the door. I know it is loose because the window has a rattling noise.

Is there anyway I can get the metal frame closer the bolt so that I can make it tight?

Old 05-31-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Bigtime
So I did this DIY and it worked like a charm. Now I have a problem where I can't get the bolts to tighten up that hold the actuator to the metal frame. More specifically the left bolt on the driver side door.

I have already opened up the door twice to find that the left bolt is completely off and falls down when I take apart the door. I know it is loose because the window has a rattling noise.

Is there anyway I can get the metal frame closer the bolt so that I can make it tight?
sounds like it's stripped. It's very thin metal there and strips easily.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by binder
it sounded like you just needed a reset. I'm not sure how you put it back together, maybe you put something together wrong. I'm confused why you didn't just take the motor out to clean it. That would be the smartest move so it would be put back together the proper way.

for future reference, the regulator is just the cables and gears that move the window. It doesn't have anything to do with electronics.

i'd have to see how it was put together to make sure it is together correctly.
Hi Binder,

it sure sounded like i just needed a reset.. but i went the extra step since i already took out the door panel and thus i took the motor out and cleaned it.. so yesterday I took it apart again.. found out that the turbine won't move.. the regulators are fine (the square hole where the motor feeds into the regulator) since i was able to manually put the window up by turning the turbine myself. So, the turbine just won't move. My speculation is that i blew a fuse somewhere when I tried to pull the window down halfway when taking apart the metal panel on my door.. could that be a problem? I'm beginning to think it's an electrical issue.. my motor wasn't sluggish when it was working 3 days ago and just needed a reset. I have no clue where to find the fuse or anything.. :\

Can someone tell me more about the electrical fuses/connections for the window motor? and also, if there's a specific way I should put the motor back together

Last edited by DigitalMaxz; 05-31-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THanks OP, this works out for me too!!!

Old 06-22-2010, 12:42 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by ILuvMyG35
THanks OP, this works out for me too!!!

glad I could help!

Old 07-29-2010, 09:36 PM
This thread is great! Now I know what to do in order to really get the Window Motor to be repaired. I might change up my Power Window Switch in order to really have a good overall performance in my repair. Thanks for this one! Really helped me a lot!

Old 08-02-2010, 05:56 PM
I'd forgotten all about this thread. It's been over a year since I repaired my window motor and it's worked perfectly ever since. This is a great, lasting fix!

Old 08-09-2010, 10:20 AM
I did this last night on my 2004 6MT Sedan, driver's side front window. For parts and labor, dealer quoted $500, my local mechanic quoted $320. I bought an OEM motor brand new from ebay $80 shipped, but I was going to let the mechanic do the job and just pay labor. I'm about as far away from being a mechanic as I am from being a pro hockey player. I went there on Saturday morning to drop off the car, but he didn't have room to take me that day. Best thing that happened all weekend!

The dis-assembly of the door was pretty easy. I finally got down to the motor, and as mentioned here and elsewhere, the screws on the motor were a pain to remove! I got one out, but the other two would not budge. There was no way to get torque on the screws. I actually ended up stripping the heads of both, so I used a screw extractor to remove them. This was the hardest and longest part of the entire job for me.

I put the door back together, which was not as hard as I thought it would be. It took some dexterity and fiddling to be able to get the holes to match up correctly, but I was able to get it done.

The window worked well, except that when I did Auto-Up, it would go all the way up and then come back down halfway as if it had detected a blockage. I followed the reset procedure from the first page, and it worked like a charm!

Because of this DIY, as well as bythebay's video on the subject, I saved between $240 and $420 to get this fixed. Not only that, I gained an education, a sense of accomplishment, and confidence in the task the next time it happens. Thank you to all who have contributed to this DIY! Plus, no more opening doors to go through the drive-thru or badge into my work's parking garage!

Old 08-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Thumbs up This DIY saved me

So I went out for a nice day of cruisin' with a buddy and got home and the passenger side window wouldn't go up.

I found this DIY, removed the door panel, disassembled the inner door, opened up the motor, cleaned it all up... and it all works now! Had to rush because I was an hour away from home and a major storm was on its way.

Put the door all back together and everything works fine, just in time for that rain storm to hit and drive home in the rain with the window up and working!

Thanks to all for this thread, saved me heaps!
Cheers

Old 09-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Had my driver's side window motor replaced when the car was still under warranty and my passenger side just quit recently. Thanks to this DIY I cleaned it and it works, not good as new, but faster than the driver's side which is starting to give up the ghost again.

Decided to go ahead and clean the driver's side and broke one of the brushes on reassembly. Doh. Guess its time to replace the brushes thanks to Binder's DIY.

One question, anyone have a trick to help hold the brushes back during reassembly to keep from snapping them off?

Old 09-12-2010, 09:17 PM
I saw a few people asking about where the reset button is if they've already put the door panel back on and I didn't see any pics of it so here goes. The actual reset instructions are back in the thread.

First one shows the correct sticker to remove to access it (red circle).

Second one shows the actual button with the door panel removed (blue circle).

Attached Thumbnails Diy: Sticky For Window Motor Repairs/door Panel Removal-door-panel-reduce.jpg   Diy: Sticky For Window Motor Repairs/door Panel Removal-motor-reduce.jpg  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Diy: Sticky For Window Motor Repairs/door Panel Removal