Rebuilding Your Coilovers.... suspension pros, please chime in!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2006 | 11:40 PM
|
Rebuilding Your Coilovers.... suspension pros, please chime in!

i'm trying to deside if i want a full coilover kit or d-specs and springs. i want a pretty slammed look. i'm already on 350z s-tech (1.2-1.5 in) and its not enough.

My friend told me that coilovers have to be rebuild ever year or so. what does that mean? what does it consist of and how much does it cost?

Main questions is what would last longer coilovers or tokiko s-specs with tanabe gf210 (something with a drop around 2"), for just simple daily driving and no tracking?

is it worth paying twice as much for the coils, just to have height adjustabilty???

Old 07-20-2006 | 01:05 AM
I say go with coilovers. any good coilover will do...tein, swift, silk, zeal, agarosta or KW. make your ride height adjustments and order another set of springs with the rates you want to best fit your comfort...possibly something with progressive rates. swift may have springs...KW coilovers springs have progressive rates, might wanna check them out too. coilovers may need rebuiling, though, it's somewhat cheaper than buying another set of shocks and struts...the only downside to it is, downtime.

Old 07-20-2006 | 01:44 AM
THE BATMOBILE
def go with coils.........hks or tanabe

Old 07-20-2006 | 01:50 AM
if u want some Tanabe GF210s, I'm taking them off my car pretty soon. if u want slammed, these springs are for you.

It's up to your budget - if you aren't going to be tweaking your height that much and not changing the dampening, coilovers are probably not worth it. You can't go with the Tein Basics because the rear won't drop it as much as you are looking for it sounds like.

Old 07-20-2006 | 05:59 AM
|
yea, i am on a budget. its hard for me to drop 1800 for just coilovers, and another 4-500 for camber kit.

how much exactly did the tanabe gf's drop your ?coupe??

Old 07-20-2006 | 04:02 PM
you could go the ghetto way. heat the coils up with a torch.

Old 07-20-2006 | 04:21 PM
|
what does that do?

Old 07-20-2006 | 04:37 PM
Coilovers do NOT need to be rebuilt every year unless you are putting them through some very hard abuse and/or have cheap coilovers. I've had Tein FLEX on my track car that sees a lot of track time for over 2yrs, and have had ZERO problems with them.

For rebuilding, when the time does come to get it done. Tein is the only manufacturer I know that does rebuilds in the US. Which means faster turn around times, and no expensive shipping to Japan. If you go to the post office or try to calculate shipping on a box that weighs 60+lbs and insure it for over a grand, its going to be EXPENSIVE both ways.

Old 07-20-2006 | 08:30 PM
|
ok so what last longer, coils (on there lowest, probably softest settings) or tokiko d-specs with a spring that drops 2"???

Old 07-20-2006 | 10:13 PM
aleok - coil overs would be the way to go to get the lowest stance and performance. They'll be way more than you would need for street use, and you can get the car lower than just springs.

As for rebuilds every year, no, that's not true and not necessary. Even under road racing conditions, coil overs do not need to be rebuilt every year. They would actually last you longer than the stock setup since the components are typically engineered to be stronger than OEM.

Old 07-20-2006 | 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by partshipperdave
"I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol!"
wtf? ahahahaha!

Old 07-20-2006 | 11:28 PM
The softer the setting you leave the coilover on, the quicker it will need an overhaul.

If you are never going to track, and comfort and being slammed is all you care about, springs will probably suit you needs better. But then why not just stay on stock shocks? The cost of shocks + springs, I would just get coilovers.

Old 07-21-2006 | 08:04 PM
|
^ i don't want to stay on stock shocks, becasue i don't what them to blow. the cost of shocks + springs is half the price of coilovers.

tokiko d-specs - 500
tanabe springs- 200

HSK RS, tein cs, flex, - over 1500!!

Old 07-23-2006 | 11:36 PM
Thing is, a 2" drop is going to be short on suspension travel or bump travel, even if you trim your bump stops. And your looking at springs that are barely stiffer then oem plus their progressive, two tings that won't help keep yo off those bump stops. Because of your desired drop height, that's where I see coilovers being a better idea for you.

Old 11-17-2006 | 06:24 AM
Lex
Originally Posted by GReddySetGO
Coilovers do NOT need to be rebuilt every year unless you are putting them through some very hard abuse and/or have cheap coilovers. I've had Tein FLEX on my track car that sees a lot of track time for over 2yrs, and have had ZERO problems with them.

For rebuilding, when the time does come to get it done. Tein is the only manufacturer I know that does rebuilds in the US. Which means faster turn around times, and no expensive shipping to Japan. If you go to the post office or try to calculate shipping on a box that weighs 60+lbs and insure it for over a grand, its going to be EXPENSIVE both ways.

As far as "I know" for a fact, Tein is NOT the only manufacturer that rebuilds in the US. Please don't give false informations because it could lead someone into going for Teins just based on the wrong information. Tein products do not have the greatest among the owners, and I don't understand why you're literally making comments that forces someone into buying it over better products out there. I don't know if you're sponsored by Tein or something in similar, but Zeal can be rebuilt in US, HKS as well, and JIC also.
I know you did write "only manufacturer *I know*" in your post above, but one can clearly tell that you're favoring Tein over other manufacturers. It could also be easily be overlooked and be the deciding factor if one doesn't do further researching.
Another thing to mention is that the original poster doesn't intend to track the car. Maybe recommending the Comfort Sport model of Tein's lineup could better point him in the correct direction rather than just sharing your experience on the FLEX. I mean, you do seem to favor Teins, so why only advertise FLEX? You wouldn't want someone who has no intention of tracking to get FLEX model and complain after, right?
I had a chance to drive friend's G coupe with HKS Hipermax RS, and have ridden in LS+. In my honest opinion, they're both very comfortable. Both were not harsh on streets at all on medium setting. If you want street coilovers, the HKS Hipermax RS is a great choice since HKS doesn't warranty any other models currently. I do not favor HKS over any manufacturers for any reason. They're the only coilovers on G that I personally felt and I'm just sharing my experience with them compared to the stock sport suspension (6MT). This is strictly my opinion on HKS RS/LS vs. stock with sport suspension (never felt non-sport). Some may find them too stiff, or too soft. But I really wouldn't call them to be on the stiff side. On the other hand, I'm pretty positive Tein FLEX would be a little too stiff for your taste. It all depends on what you are going to be doing with your vehicle, and what type of ride you like.
I haven't had much experience with other manufacturers, but according to many people I've spoken with so far, JIC, Buddy Club, Tein FLEX, Cusco, Tanabe, Zeal (except for Xs but zeals actually have very good ride quality compared to others at similar setting), and D2 coilovers tend to be more track oriented and are known to be noticeably stiffer than stock ride quality. Many fellow G/Z drivers I've talked to are very satisfied with their HKS Hipermax line of coilovers, and do not have complaints. I've heard complaints from a few that the RS or LS line of HKS are too soft for them because they track/drift the hell out of their rides and these "more street oriented" setup won't give them what they need.
Another awesome thread posted by Gsedan35 above (thanks!): https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-suspension/65190-g35-350z-aftermarket-coilover-springs-shocks-spec-s-w-updates.html. This post has many useful unbiased (I believe so at least) information.
If you really want to feel how these coilovers ride, post in the regional forum and see if you can fetch a ride by a fellow G owner in your area with any particular setup you're interested in. About the rebuilding and overhaul concern, the best thing to do is just call the manufacturers and ask them in details about rebuilding, the costs, warranties, etc.
Good luck with your decision! And tell us what you went with, and your opinion it!

PS: I should be picking up a set of Tanabe Sustec Pro-Seven (with 10kg/10kb, not the Hard springs) this morning and installing them. If everything goes well, I will post how they feel in my point of view in the correct section of the forum where I think it belongs in. Maybe you can find some of the information useful. Personally, I was going to go for the HKS RS because they felt perfect for daily driving while delivering VERY nice cornering but I've been hearing only good things about Tanabe Seven and was told that the RS might turn out to be a little too soft when I want to drift sometimes. But Tanabe Seven also costs about $500 more than the HKS, and I wasn't sure if it's worth it for those rare track occasions (Still not sure and it's driving me crazy!). I guess I'll find out how streetable/comfortable the Tanabe is tomorrow.

Last edited by suhochunsah; 11-17-2006 at 04:51 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding Your Coilovers.... suspension pros, please chime in!