brembo rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 02:09 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
brembo rotors

anyone on here have to replace there front brembo rotors? im tryin to find diy instructions so i dont go into in blind done rotors befor on older cars should be pretty close any tools i need to get the calipers off? the rotors are floating so once i get teh caliper off rotors shoudl just slide off and on and the pads i will be changing also anything i need to know about that?

any help is good help!

Old 07-22-2006, 02:27 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
HOWTO: Change Brembo Rotors

I just replaced mine last week and was looking for the same thing. It is actually quite simple and I will do up a DIY when I get back from Seattle. A bunch of people have been asking how to do it. To get you going here is a start...

For the rotors all you will need is the list below (this is plus whatever tools you would use to take out the pads, which, once you get the wheels off, is really just a pair of needle nose pliers)

1 - Power handle
1 - Big socket wrench
1 - Socket extension.
10, 19 MM and 22 MM sockets

FRONT
----------------
For the fronts just jack the car up and take off the wheel. You will now be staring at the caliper and old rotor. At this point, I found it was easiest to remove the old pads from the caliper to give myself some "wiggle room" when taking off the old rotor. Just follow the faqs on the site (I used the video from MALX, as it rocked). On the back of the wheel hub are 2 X 22MM bolts that hold the caliper to the wheel hub. Just take those off. You will need the power handle as they are on there extremly tight. Once they are off, your caliper is free to remove. Just support it from the suspension with zip ties, or use a bungy cord but DO NOT let is hang free as you will damage the lines. You will probablly need the extension for the socket to remove the bolts because there isn't much room back there to put the socket on the bolt.

Others have stated that they have found their rotors have rusted onto the hub. If this is the case, just use a rubber mallet and some WD 40 to get the rotor off. Just gently tap the rotor all the way around and spray the WD 40 until it comes loose. Mine came off without any work at all.

Once you get the rotor off there is a bolt that is on the front rotor hub that you need to remove and put on the new rotor. It is a sleeve and the bolt goes through it and attaches to the front of the rotor. I think it is wheel key so you can't put the rear rims on the front of the car. Just use a 10 MM socket (I believe it was 10 MM but it may be 12MM I just can't remember right now but will verify when I do the DYI) and attach it to the threaded hole in your new front rotor.

Now just put the rotor on the hub. Clean everything thouroughly with break cleaner. This includes both side of the rotor and the caliper to get any grease or dirt of them before you put the pads back in. Also note that there is no set screw to hold it in place, and it is just held on by the wheel. Put the caliper over the new rotor and attach it back in place with the 22MM bolts. They must go on there really really tight (113-114 ft lbs). You can use a torque wrench to verify, but if you are using the power handle to attach it, you can generate that much force pretty easily.

Now that the caliper and rotor are back together, just replace the pads as you would normally.

REAR
----------------

These are just the same procedure for the fronts with one caveat. The parking brake for the Brembos is actually a Drum brake inside the rear brake disc up (very ingenious). The means that you will need to release the parking brake when you are doing the rear rotors as both sides have the drum brake configuration inside the rotor hub. Make sure you secure the wheels with wheel wedges and use jack stands to ensure that the car is secure.

Now do the same thing as the front - jack rear end up, take off wheel, stare at sexy brembo caliper and remove the pads. On the rear of the calipers the bolts holding the caliper on are 19MM. Just remove those (again with the power handle as they are tight as all get up as well), and secure the caliper with Zip ties or a bungy cord, or a buddy who can hold it for you while you work. Again, remove the old rotor as there is no set screw for it. This one will require a little work to get off, as before, just use the rubber mallet and some WD 40 to get it off. Clean the inside parking brake with brake cleaner as before and put the new rotor on. On the rear rotor there is a little rubber plug. Remove it from the old rotor, and put it in the hole in the new rotor (it just slides into place and "snaps" into the groove in the rotor. Clean the rotor and the caliper with brake cleaner as well and reinstal the caliper with the rear bolts and torque them really tight - 53-71 ft lbs. Reinstall the pads as you would according to the other FAQs.

You have now just installed your rotors and pads. Install the wheels, lower the car and stare at it for a while and drink some beer.

Last edited by elrooko; 08-24-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The front calipers call for 113 to 114 lb.ft. The rears call for 53 to 71 lb.ft.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good info....i will need this when i do it this weekend (especially the "beer" part )

Old 08-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Angry doh!

well, just did my swap-out today. wow, what a b*tch those rears were to get off.

anyway, i need to re-torque the front and rear caliper bolts. when i was looking at the service manual, i used the figures labeled as newton-meters, rather than ft-lbs. in other words, i'm an idiot and torqued down the front caliper bolts to 153 ft-lbs and the rear to 85 ft-lbs. looks like i gotta get under the car tomorrow and do it again

will post pics soon!

Old 08-20-2006, 12:59 AM
Thumbs up Pics!!

here's some pics just to expound on some of the info that has already been given....just as an FYI

sorry for the crappy text...i didn't think red wouldn't show up well, and i had already saved it before i finally saw it. but it should give you an idea. hope it helps!

Old 08-24-2006, 08:47 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
This is great, MOD, can you please stickey this or move it to the DYI section? Thanks

Trending Topics

Old 03-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the DIY, greeeeaaattt STUFF!!!