GTSpec Aluminum Mid Chassis Reenforcement Brace for G35 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 03:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This thread is rediculous now. It is quite obvious what the braces do if you ever bothered to look under the car.
The suspension braces in the rear especially are suring up the mounting points which are an aluminum open-box design. I could easily deflect these areas with a pry bar and about 50 ft. lbs. of force.
The X-brace requires no explanation if you've even put a unibody car on a lift or even jacked one side up.

Old 08-19-2006, 07:01 PM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I was speaking with Ken at GTSPEC the other day about the failed 4-point chassis brace install on my G35 sedan. He said the brace does inseed fit the G35 coupe. They made the sedan different from the 350Z, but not the G35 coupe.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:49 AM
Thanks for the information cato.

Old 08-21-2006, 04:51 AM
you could probably mark, drill, and tap new locations to mount the gtspec brace on a sedan. I know there's more to it that just that as far as reinforcing the mounting points. but it's not impossible...it's just what extents you want to take to make it possible.

Old 08-21-2006, 08:09 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 636Racer
you could probably mark, drill, and tap new locations to mount the gtspec brace on a sedan. I know there's more to it that just that as far as reinforcing the mounting points. but it's not impossible...it's just what extents you want to take to make it possible.
Yeah, but if it dosn't fit my sedan, I don't want it. No reverse engineering here...

Old 09-13-2006, 07:26 PM
Hahaha... you can always count on SixFive IQ to wage a logicless imaginary argument against comments of his own design. The lack of reading comprehension is scary really.

As I originally stated, I'm still interested to hear people's experiences with these bars. Clearly adding bars to various locations can have effects ranging from absolutely nothing to huge improvements in structural rigidity, and there's more to it than just finding a pair of nuts between which you can fit a bar under the car. But in SixFive IQ's world, you can't even talk about the possible structural rididity benefits of adding a TypeR badge to the back of your car without actually having one on your car.

Old 09-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by SixFive
Go back to myspace and argue with the teens TROLL
What's wrong, can't find where I ever suggested that these bars were a joke and didn't work?

You should start making it a habit to actually read and comprehend posts before you start your flame wars.

Old 09-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by badco
I'd buy it if it would make my G stop creaking like an '82 Camaro with T-Tops when I back out of my driveway.

Do these things work, or what?
Personally I'd be very surprised if the effects of adding the upper rear bar were noticeable. If you look closely, the bar mounts in parallel with a much larger parallel aluminum cross beam structure integrated in to the body. The added stiffness of this little bar relying on a friction bolted joint for coupling would seem negligible.

Last edited by MechEE; 05-02-2007 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:07 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
It is probably the case when complicated teminology("finite element analysis") will not work.Did anybody tried to apply "finite element analysis" to backscratcher? I bet no, but it still works.
Rule of the thumb is -the stiffer the better. Look at WRC teams who re-weld all car seams. "They are already welded", you may ask, "what's the point?"

So the more stiff stuff, (hard liquor and wood in your pants included), we have in the car the better.

I convinced myself about usefulness of STB long time ago-took one off so I could clean throttle body in one of my old cars and went for a drive. Car felt very flimsy and unstable. I never felt that before I installed STB and was always happy with the handling....
I don't have GT Spec bars yet, but I am definetely getting them.

Be simple, man.

Originally Posted by MechEE
Personally I'd be very surprised if the effects of adding the upper rear bar were noticeable. If you look closely, the bar mounts in parallel with a much larger parallel aluminum cross beam structure integrated in to the body. The added stiffness of this little bar relying on a friction bolted joint for coupling would seem negligible.

Sure, I may have designed and constructed stiffness-optimized vehicle frames and suspension components with finite element analysis and analyzed changes in stress and strain distribution in detail for research during my work with a vehicle dynamics research group, but hey, I don't actually have the bar on my car, so my comments mean nothing in comparison to the "dood, I can totally feel the difference!"

Old 09-16-2006, 12:01 AM
Originally Posted by obender66
It is probably the case when complicated teminology("finite element analysis") will not work.Did anybody tried to apply "finite element analysis" to backscratcher? I bet no, but it still works.
Rule of the thumb is -the stiffer the better. Look at WRC teams who re-weld all car seams. "They are already welded", you may ask, "what's the point?"

So the more stiff stuff, (hard liquor and wood in your pants included), we have in the car the better.

I convinced myself about usefulness of STB long time ago-took one off so I could clean throttle body in one of my old cars and went for a drive. Car felt very flimsy and unstable. I never felt that before I installed STB and was always happy with the handling....
I don't have GT Spec bars yet, but I am definetely getting them.

Be simple, man.
Sure, you can say the more stiff the better, but what price are you willing to pay per % increase in stiffness? $1/%? $1000/%? $100000000/%? The problem with the "I can feel it before and after" tests is that you're aware of what you're looking for, and you'll find it... you need to have many blind before / after trials where you don't know when the bar is installed or not, and you label which feels better.

Again, I am not claiming that they don't work, only that it's not obvious that they do. What would be nice is some average before and after track times that showed consistent improvement.

Last edited by MechEE; 09-16-2006 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:59 AM
$150-200 seems to be very reasonable for GT spec bars.
Rewelding entire chassis would be just stupid

Old 09-16-2006, 05:18 PM
$150-200 seems to be very reasonable for GT spec bars.
Rewelding entire chassis would be just stupid
Reasonable based on what? The cost of manufacturing? Sure. The $ per stiffness increase? That's indeterminate.

Old 09-17-2006, 06:14 AM
Anybody know how much the mid chassis brace weighs?????......And I know Tanabe has a mid chassis brace also but I believe I read that it hangs a little lower than the GT spec mid chassis...thanks

Old 09-17-2006, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by MechEE
Reasonable based on what? The cost of manufacturing? Sure. The $ per stiffness increase? That's indeterminate.
No, it seems reasonable as per member's reviews. Everybody who installed them noticed improvement in handling and reduction in interior creaks.

Old 09-17-2006, 07:37 PM
No, it seems reasonable as per member's reviews. Everybody who installed them noticed improvement in handling and reduction in interior creaks.
Sounds promising. Anybody who tracks their car have a set of these that could do some time trials with the only change being the bar?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GTSpec Aluminum Mid Chassis Reenforcement Brace for G35 Coupe