Air Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Do you guys have any pictures of how its setup in the trunk? Would you still be able to fit a normal size baby stroller in the trunk with this setup?

Old 10-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by CreativeDesignZ
i want these! any good place in NJ with REASONABLE prices? or is this something i can do if i could install coilsover, im good with wiring, and im pretty sure i can put the fittings together as im not a complete retard when it comes to mechanics lol. Can an intermediate/novice person do this in a day/weekend?
ill tell you what i tell everyone that is bagging something. do not try and do it quickly. make it clean and sleek the first time around. take a whole day to run all the electrical for them and als the air management. meaning the tank, compressor, airline and valves. then the next day you can simply just pop in the bags and hook the airline up to it.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by beezy619
Do you guys have any pictures of how its setup in the trunk? Would you still be able to fit a normal size baby stroller in the trunk with this setup?
you can set it up in the trunk however you want. you can mount the tank and compressor all the way in the back which would give you the most room. or you could mount the compressors on the sides of the trunk and the tank towards the seats. it doesnt matter.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kennymo
thats the reason you should get a water trap. there is no need to get fancy with some heater or a solinoid operated valve. thats just doing to much.a water trap cost 20 dollars and they work great
A solinoid valve could be had for about the same amount. Industrial applications I have been involved had water traps that tended to fail often enough that timed solinoids were installed around them. They proved to be a very reliable and cost effective system.

Another fairly simple system for mobile air systems relies on keeping the water from causing issues as much as removal and those employ a relatively small alcohol reservoir.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:16 PM
yea but where are you going to have the water that comes out of the valve go?
you could run a valve if you want. i just find the water trap to be a lot easier and less wires. i ahve never had one fail

Old 10-24-2009, 10:18 PM
yea but where are you going to have the water that comes out of the valve go?
you could run a valve if you want. i just find the water trap to be a lot easier and less wires. i ahve never had one fail
A lot less wires would be 4 less wires. Simply vent the air via the starter circuit. The water goes to the same place without issue that the AC condensate goes to. Start your car and your tanks are burbed and you are good to go.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:31 PM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I miss my bags. At least I'm on the UAS website.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by waijai
I miss my bags. At least I'm on the UAS website.

Bagless is a terrible condition to be in!

Old 10-26-2009, 01:51 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i want bags!

Old 10-26-2009, 04:28 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
instead of draining the tank. which is going to be a pain in the *** since you would pretty much have to take the tank out of the truck or put a little bucket under the tank when draining. you could get water traps. which run in line between the compressor and the tank. this will keep damn near all of the water out of the tank. when i build bagged trucks i run 1 water trap per compressor. and the owners have to drain the tank maybe once a year.
Typically you don't worry about the water unless you’re where it gets very cold during the winter months. If so, then you want to drain the tank, add some air brake antifreeze to prevent the valves from being frozen shut. Other then that it doesn't really matter... our solenoid valves are designed for water to flow through them, so it’s not going to hurt them even if it was straight water.... Also with the aluminum air tank, it’s not going to rust out.

Or, you can run another valve plumbed off the bottom of the tank and "purge" it ever once and while to blow any water out.

Personally I am not a fan of water traps because its only a band aid on a gun shot wound. In order to remove the water from the air, you have to cool the air down first. Then pass it through a trap/filter to condense it. So no matter what you’re going to get water in your tank because in a car application you can't really put a ref. dryer like they run for your standard industrial application. Will it collect some water, yes... But its not going to be all of the water, so in my option its always best to make the system handle the water. Not to mention, if the customer forgets to drain the trap, then its just passing through it...

the package that zack is offering here is a VERY good package. viair 480 compressors are in my opinion the best compressors you can get. and especially with 2 of them. you will have very fast fill times. also they are 100% duty cycle so they can be on a lot of you get switch happy. also lance the guy that pretty much runs viair is a very cool guy and if for any reason (which you probably never will) lance is very helpful with hooking people up when they need it.

zack i hope you do not mind that i keep chimin in on your thread. im just trying to help out. if you want me to stop just let me know. no offense will be takin
Thanks for the support, I am not offended, i am honored that you like our package. We have put alot of effort into the system to try and make it as bulletproof as possible.

Thanks for the wealth of information and being honest about both systems. Why would one choose to run coilovers instead of just regular shocks? Wouldn't it be a little redundant to have the ability to adjust the ride height with coils when you already have bags? Sorry for all the questions. Trying to learn as much as I can because this will probably be my next big purchase, but not for a while.
I was simply trying to state if your already budgeted for the 5-6k, might as well throw coilovers on the car too. The main advantage to the coilover over the OEM shocks is the adjustable dampening. But, Personally I would pick up a set of adjustable dampers instead (Say like a set of Koni Yellows)

Originally Posted by silencer_0
Can you raise and lower the car while you're moving? Or do you have to be at a complete stop?
Yes you can adjust it while driving, however its not "recommended". Main reason is if your driving down the fwy at 80 mph and drop say the right side, the car will pull to that side. As far as driving upto a driveway, getting ready to turn in, hitting the switch to raise the car to pull all the way in, the chances of something happening is very slim....

yes you can raise and lower the car while moving. but it is not legal.
the laws say that air ride is for off road use. but a cop (unless he is a *****) is not going to hasle you for airing up in a parking lot to be able to drive off from your parking spot. and if you want to play it safe. you can run a switch inline with the power wire that goes to the switch box so that you can turn the switch box off just incase you do get pulled over. and then you can say look officer i was not playing with them they do not even work with the car on
The problem with this one is that the laws are written very tricky. To my understanding there is no "code" against putting air suspension on a vehicle like there is for hydraulics. But, it’s at the cop’s judgment and a lot of the time, he can write you up for a handful of tickets just because.

There are codes for "modified suspension, unsafe vehicles, too low" etc. So technically it’s illegal to put a set of aftermarket struts, lowering coils, even changing the wheels to any part that is not on there from the OEM. But, if you’re driving down the local spot, hitting switches while driving down the road, don’t be surprised when he writes you up. But, if you’re acting like a “reasonable” adult, they won’t even be able to tell that the car is on air.

I personally have had a few friends (mainly back in truck days with big ole holes cut out) that have been caught and have received these tickets. One of them was written up for hydraulics, went in and saw the judge, and he simply said “I don’t have hydraulics; I have air suspension, just like the factory Mercedes, Lincolns etc”. The judge asked him “what the difference is”. He said, “Hydraulics, you have flammable fluid running through at extremely high pressure that if a line brakes, it goes everywhere, not to mention the extra 1000 lbs in the trunk for the batteries to run the system. I have a small air compressor that fills the bags up to about the same pressure as a lot of tires run at, and if I was to have a damaged line, it would leak out air, not fluid to ruin the environment” With that, the judge dismissed his ticket

Another friend received a ticked for driving too low. He took his fix-it ticket down to the police station, aired the truck up, and said now its not too low… Ticket signed off…

So to make a long enough story already short. If they want to, they will give you a ticket, because they can.

Originally Posted by CreativeDesignZ
i want these! any good place in NJ with REASONABLE prices? or is this something i can do if i could install coilover, i'm good with wiring, and im pretty sure i can put the fittings together as im not a complete retard when it comes to mechanics lol. Can an intermediate/novice person do this in a day/weekend?
We don’t recommend shops usually because we can’t see their work etc. I can give you some shops to check out, but its upto you to take the car to them. To be honest with you, the install isn’t hard… it just takes time running the hoses/wires and mounting everything down. I have A LOT of customers that do their own installations in a weekend. I always suggest to do the tank/compressor/valves/wiring etc first, and then pressurize the system, check for leaks and make sure everything is working before you take the springs out and put in the bags. Mainly because that is the most time consuming part, and if it takes longer then you expect, your still able to fully use the car.

I usually say, if you can install a set of lowering springs, and wire up a car stereo amp, you can do the install. Question of the day… If you take it to a shop, and they haven’t done any air before, what is the difference between them learning on your car, and you learning on your car? But, honestly on the G35/350z platform it’s really simple on the install. Personally I went down to Nicaragua and did an install down there in a full day.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
The tank is 7" x 24" long. Alot of the time you can fit it down in the spare tire well if your ok with taking it out, other wise you can just tuck it in the corner, or against the front of the trunk

ill tell you what i tell everyone that is bagging something. do not try and do it quickly. make it clean and sleek the first time around. take a whole day to run all the electrical for them and als the air management. meaning the tank, compressor, airline and valves. then the next day you can simply just pop in the bags and hook the airline up to it.
very good advise... Last thing I like to hear, is when someone gets in a rush because he put his bags in first, and he has to go somewhere, so he just throws everything else in and he has issues because he didn't secure anything or even bolt down the tank/compressors and they run into installation issues...

Old 10-26-2009, 05:04 PM
I have a few questions as well:

1. Since it's "Universal" air suspension, I should be able to take this same system and use it on my next vehicle, correct? You mentioned that the Z/G platform was different so I just want to clarify this.

2. What are the things that could possibly go wrong with this set up. I say this for those of us who may purchased a pre-owned system not knowing how it was used before. Any ways to check for abuse?

3. For members who have/had this set up, could you post them up so we can see how they were mounted (Shane, Waijai, etc).

I'm also going to assume from those pics that the system comes with pretty braided lines

Old 10-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Originally Posted by xjonmo
I have a few questions as well:

1. Since it's "Universal" air suspension, I should be able to take this same system and use it on my next vehicle, correct? You mentioned that the Z/G platform was different so I just want to clarify this.

2. What are the things that could possibly go wrong with this set up. I say this for those of us who may purchased a pre-owned system not knowing how it was used before. Any ways to check for abuse?

3. For members who have/had this set up, could you post them up so we can see how they were mounted (Shane, Waijai, etc).

I'm also going to assume from those pics that the system comes with pretty braided lines

1. the G & Z's are generally the same, however we do some slight different backets depending on the exact car and which damper the customer is going to use.

2. Generally speaking, usually the compressors will wear out after about a year and half to 2 years for someone that beats on them pretty good. As far as being able to "tell" you can look the front of the compressor behind the air filter and see the date code printed on the pump. It goes year/month of production. Usually its about 1-3 months from the time of manufacture, to the date we ship them out. Next thing to check is on the bags, make sure there is no abrasion marks from rubbing against something.

3. Z's - http://www.universalairsuspension.com/on-road/gallery.php?sid=9&cid=11

G35 - http://www.universalairsuspension.co...?sid=61&cid=28

G37 - http://www.universalairsuspension.co...sid=153&cid=28

The "pretty" lines are the leader hoses that comes in the compressors

Old 10-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Received 158 Likes on 108 Posts
xjonmo, I'll try and answer your first question and I'm sure Zack will clarify if I'm incorrect. The way in which the bags for the G/Z differ from other setups is that it uses the bag in the rear on the spring mount, whereas many others use it on the shock itself, however with our cars we cannot do that since the wheel well obstructs the area for the bag.

All other components would be just fine and you could swap, you would just need to get different bags (ones that fit the particular vehicle you get).

Old 10-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Would the G37 kit be the same as 07+ G35 sedans?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Air Suspension Questions