My SPC A-Arm installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boooked*

Old 11-14-2006, 04:14 AM
There was a thread i saw maybe a week or 2 ago, about having to mod the top of the fender because the SPC, and SPL arms would hit the top. i looked at the top of mine, and i see what they were talking about, but my arms cleared...

Old 11-14-2006, 07:09 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm dropped on 350Z S-Techs, which is over an inch. I don't hit or scrub or hear any noise and I'm running 20x9 and 20x10.5 with 255/30 and 285/30 tires. It's amazing to me that you guys are having issues. My install was easy and I have had no problems or noises.

For you guys that hit, Jack up the front and see if you can see where it is hitting the body. Post up, with pictures if possible, where you are hitting and what is hitting. There is a possibility that it isn't the A-arm, but something else hitting because of the drop. That will help diagnose any issues.

Richboy, I was half kidding with my last post. You could be so low that any a-arm (or another part because of the drop) will hit. Look under there and see where it is hitting.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gilley
It's amazing to me that you guys are having issues. My install was easy and I have had no problems or noises.
LMAO. Easy for you to say when ur car has no problems.

Old 11-14-2006, 12:28 PM
MORE POWER PLZ!!!
Originally Posted by mark4x4
I'm dropped almost 1" and I'm having the issue with the arms hitting when I hit a bump. I don't feel a 1'" drop is that significant where I should be having this problem. You get a camber kit because you are dropped and what good is it to have tons of positive camber adjustment if your arms are going to hit the fender walls.

Sean, since you didn't install the spacers are you having any issues with the arms hitting the fender walls? My thought is to take out the spacers hoping that I can get it back into spec although I can see any reason why the spacers would cause this problem.

Hindsight, I should have gotten the SPL's but I just want to move forward. It's really irritating to hit a bump and the sound just resonates throughout the car. I hope SPC has a fix for this otherwise, I will be one unhappy camper.

I will talk to Peter asap and let him know of my displeasure and also call SPC as well.

Mark
I feel u man...I dont really care when it hits but it gets annoying when like over bumps it just keeps on hitting the fender wall. I wonder if SPC tested over bumps and pot hole or anything when they released it.

Old 11-14-2006, 12:30 PM
MORE POWER PLZ!!!
I'm dropped on 350Z S-Techs, which is over an inch. I don't hit or scrub or hear any noise and I'm running 20x9 and 20x10.5 with 255/30 and 285/30 tires. It's amazing to me that you guys are having issues. My install was easy and I have had no problems or noises.

For you guys that hit, Jack up the front and see if you can see where it is hitting the body. Post up, with pictures if possible, where you are hitting and what is hitting. There is a possibility that it isn't the A-arm, but something else hitting because of the drop. That will help diagnose any issues.

Richboy, I was half kidding with my last post. You could be so low that any a-arm (or another part because of the drop) will hit. Look under there and see where it is hitting.
i know its the camber kit cuz my installer looked at it and said..yeah its the camber kit thats hitting the fender wall. He told me the same thing that u told me only way to fix it is to raise up the car.

Old 11-14-2006, 12:32 PM
MORE POWER PLZ!!!
Do any of you guys think this is happening cuz u didnt get the car align yet im going to get my car align today so ill see whats up.

Old 11-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
What part of the cobtrol arm is hitting? The arm, top nut, the end of the outer end?

Old 11-14-2006, 01:02 PM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
What part of the cobtrol arm is hitting? The arm, top nut, the end of the outer end?
Sounds more like the outer end.
The top nut is pretty flushed.
the more your dropped the more of that end is exposed causing clearance problems with the fender wall.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally Posted by richboy
Do any of you guys think this is happening cuz u didnt get the car align yet im going to get my car align today so ill see whats up.
I got an alignment and I still hit so that won't solve the problem, sorry to say.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:49 PM
For me, it appears to be the top of the A arm that is hitting the underside of the engine bay wall. The metal of the engine bay is formed with a downward buldge above the firewall side of the A arm. This is where the hit occurs on my car. I honestly don't see a way around this. I think all camber kit manufacturers are using tubular metal contruction for their A arms which is taller than the OEM cast peices. Cast aftermarket kits would be cost prohibitive.

If a fix can be made for this, I'd love to have it, but it seems that firming up your shocks is the only quick fix at this time.

Old 11-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Kenetix camber kit I considered buying although I declined after my research because of all the squeaking issues. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Kenetix have 2-3 degrees of positive adjustability and I've never read where their arms hit but their issue was again squeaking from the bushings? I was just curious because their arms look very similiar to the SPC's and was wondering why they don't have the same issue.

I'm taking my car back where I had the camber kit installed and had the alignment. I spoke with him briefly to setup the appointment and he said that the amount of drop has nothing to with the arms hitting. He explained why but till I see it I didn't fully understand but I will post the results tomorrow.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:00 PM
MORE POWER PLZ!!!
Kenetix camber kit I considered buying although I declined after my research because of all the squeaking issues. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Kenetix have 2-3 degrees of positive adjustability and I've never read where their arms hit but their issue was again squeaking from the bushings? I was just curious because their arms look very similiar to the SPC's and was wondering why they don't have the same issue.

I'm taking my car back where I had the camber kit installed and had the alignment. I spoke with him briefly to setup the appointment and he said that the amount of drop has nothing to with the arms hitting. He explained why but till I see it I didn't fully understand but I will post the results tomorrow.
keep us posted man

Old 11-15-2006, 06:32 PM
First let me say that in the Bay Area, Auto Innovations are first rate. They do many spring installs, alignments and come highly recommended by the members on this forum who has used their services.

I went back today to have Orlando take a look at the noise issue. There were no markings on the camber arm that we could see. The only little mark that was visible was at the top of the adjustment bolt and a small mark on the top of the fender. He thinks that is where my noise is coming from although because all cars are not created equal that there is a possibility that on some cars the arms could hit the inner fender lining. That would be a better case, has he says the lining can be trimmed away to give more clearance. We went for a ride and he could tell that it was metal against metal although in 2 instances it sounded like the arm did brush against the inner fender lining.

I asked him about the sensor because I had the same issue with the light and my brake pulsating. He said the bracket is pretty flimsy and it was fortunate that he didn't torque it down, so he was able to reposition the sensor and everything was fine. He said that being that the sensor arm is so flimsy that if it was over torqued that it could do damage to the sensor.

I believe we all need to put a complaint into SPC and to Peter. We all bought in good faith that their product was as stated but even if they correct the problem (in my case I don't see how) I'm going have to pay for another install and another alignment, which I think they should be liable for.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:58 PM
MORE POWER PLZ!!!
First let me say that in the Bay Area, Auto Innovations are first rate. They do many spring installs, alignments and come highly recommended by the members on this forum who has used their services.

I went back today to have Orlando take a look at the noise issue. There were no markings on the camber arm that we could see. The only little mark that was visible was at the top of the adjustment bolt and a small mark on the top of the fender. He thinks that is where my noise is coming from although because all cars are not created equal that there is a possibility that on some cars the arms could hit the inner fender lining. That would be a better case, has he says the lining can be trimmed away to give more clearance. We went for a ride and he could tell that it was metal against metal although in 2 instances it sounded like the arm did brush against the inner fender lining.

I asked him about the sensor because I had the same issue with the light and my brake pulsating. He said the bracket is pretty flimsy and it was fortunate that he didn't torque it down, so he was able to reposition the sensor and everything was fine. He said that being that the sensor arm is so flimsy that if it was over torqued that it could do damage to the sensor.

I believe we all need to put a complaint into SPC and to Peter. We all bought in good faith that their product was as stated but even if they correct the problem (in my case I don't see how) I'm going have to pay for another install and another alignment, which I think they should be liable for.
So now when you go in R u dont have the ABS lock up anymore?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My SPC A-Arm installation