My SPC A-Arm installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine never did.

Old 11-16-2006, 01:11 AM
guys i just sent my brackets. hopefully SPC will test them and get back to me soon. i think (if that overtightening is the problem) they should make the brackets out of iron or something, lol. something stronger than thin aluminum.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:38 AM
Originally Posted by aleok
guys i just sent my brackets. hopefully SPC will test them and get back to me soon. i think (if that overtightening is the problem) they should make the brackets out of iron or something, lol. something stronger than thin aluminum.
I talked to Doug (one of the techs) at SPC today and he told me they have a revised bracket and a new lock down screw. He told me the old design screw was difficult to tighten and when you did torque it down it would skew the bracket possibly doing damage to the sensor. The other possibility is that the bracket got so skewed that the sensor could never be in the correct location to pickup the magnetic signal.

Are you having problems with your camber arms hitting? I'm only dropped 1" and the adjustment bolt is hitting the top of the inner fender, which I find totally unacceptable. I was told to talk to customer service concerning a return although I'm also want compensation for my cost of installation and alignment.

There will be a thread started tomorrow for a poll to see how many ppl are having issues with the SPC front camber kit. If we can get enough ppl with issues together and bring these issues up as a group, my hope is that something will get done. They would have to address these issues rather than hoping we just go away. We in good faith paid money for their camber kit and if their kit fails to accomplish what it was designed to do then I feel they are the ones who need to make it right whatever that is.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:13 AM
Originally Posted by mark4x4
I talked to Doug (one of the techs) at SPC today and he told me they have a revised bracket and a new lock down screw. He told me the old design screw was difficult to tighten and when you did torque it down it would skew the bracket possibly doing damage to the sensor. The other possibility is that the bracket got so skewed that the sensor could never be in the correct location to pickup the magnetic signal.

Are you having problems with your camber arms hitting? I'm only dropped 1" and the adjustment bolt is hitting the top of the inner fender, which I find totally unacceptable. I was told to talk to customer service concerning a return although I'm also want compensation for my cost of installation and alignment.

There will be a thread started tomorrow for a poll to see how many ppl are having issues with the SPC front camber kit. If we can get enough ppl with issues together and bring these issues up as a group, my hope is that something will get done. They would have to address these issues rather than hoping we just go away. We in good faith paid money for their camber kit and if their kit fails to accomplish what it was designed to do then I feel they are the ones who need to make it right whatever that is.
thats exactly what i noticed, and i wrote doug a little note about in with my package. ha.
about the camber arms kitting, i'm not sure i'm i'm having the problem or not. i've been driving very carefully lately, and i've hit like 2 or 3 potholes since summer. and every time it was a really HARD hit, because i'm dropped so low. i'm not having any knocking, that i can hear with nomal driving. but i'm sure when i hit those bumps the arms hit, but the hit was so hard that i can't say that it was the arms or not.

oh, and something else, i'm worried about is this chit chit chit noise. like my tire is lopsided and rubbing my fender. but i know it not. and when i take off the tire on the passanger side, the rotors are pretty hard to rotate, it seems like my rotor is warped but i don't know how it happen. maybe the spacer un-install messed something up. guys got any ideas?

Old 11-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so are we getting new brackets?

Old 11-16-2006, 02:13 PM
Since the spacer is located behind the hub, the spacer should have nothing to do with causing that sound. The only way the spacer could cause a problem is if before the install your wheel fender clearance was already tight and by adding the 5mm spacer it would push the wheel out causing a clearance issue. Your rotors being warped could cause this noise although I would also check your calibers and brake pads. Do you feel pulsating when you brake? If you do, I believe that would be caused by the sensor not picking up the magnetic signal activating the ABS. If this has been going on for a period of time I don't know if this could cause the warping of the rotors but it might be something to look into?

Old 11-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by Aznteazer
so are we getting new brackets?
Let me know where and when you are going to start the poll.

I talked to Doug yesterday and he indicated that anyone that has problems with their sensors will get new brackets and new lock down screws.

SPC indicated to me to let forum members know who are having any issues to contact them directly.

SPC: 1-800-525-6505

Old 11-16-2006, 02:35 PM
Old 11-16-2006, 06:25 PM
"oh, and something else, i'm worried about is this chit chit chit noise. like my tire is lopsided and rubbing my fender. but i know it not. and when i take off the tire on the passanger side, the rotors are pretty hard to rotate, it seems like my rotor is warped but i don't know how it happen. maybe the spacer un-install messed something up. guys got any ideas?"

I was thinking that if your sensors are not working the VDC would activate which means it would show that your wheel or wheels are losing traction, which in turn would apply light braking to that wheel. Whether that light braking would be enough to cause the rotors to warp, it would be something to check into.

IMO, if you have issue with your sensors I would switch off the VDC.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:02 PM
if ur sensors are on, that means VDC is off, so i dont think there would be any braking there.
maybe ur bushings are making the noise?

Old 11-16-2006, 08:35 PM
well my shims and brackets are off the car right now. so it basically stock with the a-arms. i don't think i notice any pulsating when braking. how do i check my rotors and calipers? to see if there warped??

Old 11-17-2006, 01:13 AM
ok, i did some aggratative driving tonight. to stur up any car problems. i discovered that the chit chit noise is coming from both front sides, more on my passenger side, and is not very noticable when first starting to drive, but on the way home its pretty noticable. i am having no pulsating when braking, and braking is normal. i took a hard turn and experianced a "knock knock" from my passenger side (taking a left turn). i tried to replicate it, but i couldn't, so maybe it was a bump in the road. and i can see my steering wheel isn't straight, because i havn't gotten aligned yet.

Old 11-17-2006, 06:53 PM
i circled the area where the bracket screws on to the hub.
i have a washer that goes on the hub, and then the bracket, followed by the nut with a locking washer screwing on the bracket.
is that right, or shud that first washer not be there? seems like removing that washer before the bracket would move the abs sensor closer to the hub.

one more thing, do you guys have a hard time screwing down the abs sensor to the bracket?
not the screw that i circled, but the sensor that screws to the bracket itself.
even tho the abs sensor is loose, it's as if the nut isn't the right size or something. it takes quite bit of torque to get the nut off till the very end.

Last edited by cato; 12-19-2006 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:21 PM
^ where'd you get the washer that goes between the hub and bracket? i never had one. removing that would make it closer. and yea the nut holding down the sensor to the bracket is very hard to tighten down, i think thats the problem, which causes the bracket to bend.

Old 11-18-2006, 02:23 PM
oooooook so i just drove off with the wheel lock key on my wheel so i'm stuck for a week till i get a replacement.
sigh**

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My SPC A-Arm installation