Creaking noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 07:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creaking noise

Posting about a noise may be interesting, but it seems like it may be common place on the G35 so I thought I would get someone's take on it.

I never hear anything when driving, even hitting railroad tracks, everything sounds good. I'll notice a slight creaking, sounds like up front driver's side when going up and down driveways (nothing steep at all). I'll also hear the creaking if I'm pulling a tight turn in a parking lot.

Relatively minor, but it's definitely there. Any thoughts to what the most likely cause is? Or how expensive? The Infiniti dealer is about 100 miles away, but I have a Nissan dealer a block away that will work on it...just not warranty work. Thanks!

2005 G35x - 27K miles

Old 02-21-2007, 09:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a different creaking noise.

Mine creaks when ever I am putting a load on the rear end. Like when I step on the gas or let out the clutch in a garage the back of the car creaks. It doesn't take much pressure - sounds like theres a frog trapped inside.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:40 AM
i have 2 guesses

1. the ground and tires might be making the noise. it depends on what type of surface you're on. if you are on a slippery surface and turn the wheel, the friction will make a noise.

2. the springs are making the noise.

i think when it's cold out, the springs make a noise when compressed. for example if you're a hefty fellow getting into the car there will be a slight sqeak. i don't think it's anything to worry about

Old 02-21-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys. I too am not real concerned about it. I'm not a big guy, but it has been plenty cold here in WI Thanks.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:05 AM
Mine does that to sometimes and Im in Los Angeles. I got use to it now.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:09 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanvt
... I'll notice a slight creaking, sounds like up front driver's side when going up and down driveways (nothing steep at all). I'll also hear the creaking if I'm pulling a tight turn in a parking lot.
The symptoms you are describing are almost certainly caused by the well-known Compression Rod issue. The noise you hear is a result of the rod bushings (not the beefy aluminum rods themselves). It is a very annoying problem, the likes of which you might expect on a old Buick, but certainly not on a premium Japanese brand. Do a wide search on the forum here for "Compression Rod", and you'll find dozens of threads.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:24 AM
Agreed! No way should there be that many "creaking" issues on a premium brand.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by trueskillz12
i think when it's cold out, the springs make a noise when compressed. for example if you're a hefty fellow getting into the car there will be a slight sqeak. i don't think it's anything to worry about
That's an interesting comment to make. I just happen to have that issue.

I'm a hefty fellow...6'4" around 275 lbs. and my 06 Sedan creaks when I get into the car and out. I just lowered the car an inch with the 350z springs and the creak is still there (not like I expected it to go away...but for some stupid reason I was crossing my fingers like a goof ).

I don't have creaking issues in steering or going over bumps like other members do...just the getting into and out of the car noise.

My question is this...if this is normal...isn't that kinda suck for a premium car?

If it's not...does someone know what it might be? I don't want to diss on the Service advisors at Infiniti...but sometimes it's like going to the doctor...they don't know what's wrong unless you can explain what ails you...

I'm still under warranty...but I want to know if I'm gonna get flack from the service advisor about the lowered profile. It seems like everytime someone here makes a modification and then brings a problem to a dealership, the dealership is quick to automatically attribute it to the mod. Any ammunition I can carry with me should I go?

Thanks in advance for the advice!