I replaced my own brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced my own brakes

Well, I have been on the forum for quite a while, but this is my first post. I bought my 2004 G35 Coupe 6MT Diamond Graphite around the beginning of December. It had 19k miles on it and was in really good shape. The first mod I started out with was the brakes. I wasn't about to pay a $1000 or more for the dealership to replace the brakes with factory parts. So I ordered a PowerSlot Rotors all the way round and Hawk HPS pads all for about $550. I have the owners manual on CD already and that helped out a lot, especially with torque specs. Well, I was reading in the manual that it called for Poly Butyl Cuprysil (PBC) grease to be used on the back of the pads. Let me tell you, that stuff is really hard to find. The Infiniti dealer had it for $65 for a 16oz bottle. A little to expensive when the manual only calls for .018oz in the front and .056oz in the rear. It only has to go between the shim and the pad and on the side of the pad. Plus the stuff contains lead, which can give you cancer. Well, i didn't want to go deal with that stuff, so I went on a search to find a replacement product. I finally came across a product by 3M. It is called Brake Lube/Anti-seize and has almost all the same ingredents as PBC grease; it just substitutes graphite for lead with is much safer to deal with. Well, the 3M stuff has been working great. I followed the brake in procedure for the pads and rotors and they have been working great. Excellent pedal feel and no noise. It took several hours to complete but it wasn't that hard of a job. Here are a few lessons learned:

1. Remove the underspoiler plastic in the front for easier placement of the jack and jack stands.
2. Use an old toothbrush and brake cleaner to really clean the inner area of the calipers.
3. Be very careful take off and putting on the wheels, it didn't happen to me, but a friend chipped some of the paint on his Brembos.
4. When you take the old rotor off, use a wire wheel and drill to clean up the wheel hub before putting the new rotor on.
5. Brake cleaner and metal paint scraper take the adhesive film off the old shims really well.
6. Have a metal file handy, I had to shave a little off the sides of the front pads to get them to slide in easily.
7. While you have the wheels off, take a few minutes to wash the inside, it really helps make them shine.
8. Use wheels lugs to hold Powerslot rotors in place while you are putting on the new pads.
9. Use a cloth between your c-clamp and the brembo or you will damage the paint.

Well, that's all I have so far.

Here are the pics:

I'll add some better ones the next time I have the wheels off.

Last edited by gpracer01; 03-07-2007 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Added pics
Old 03-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
the rears are pain in the *** to do.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really, I thought the fronts were harder than the rear. My fronts wouldn't fit hardly at all. I had to shave the paint off with a metal file before they would fit in nicely. I literally couldn't push them into the front caliper. Of course, as long as you don't mess with the parking brake pads, the rears shouldn't be hard.