d-spec differences?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
d-spec differences?

Hey peeps,

I'm getting to ready to lower my '05 sedan. I'm planning to drop the cash on Z/coupe springs (unrevised) and a set of d-specs.

I've been searching the forums for a while but I've been unsuccesful in finding the answer to one elusive question: it appears that there's two versions of the d-spec shocks out there, DSP-7's for G35's and DSP-9's for 350Z's. Apparently the G35 versions are roughly 1" longer in the rear - but if I'm outfitting my sedan with z/coupe springs, should I still be using the longer version of d-specs? I've read a couple posts that indicated the shorter DSP-9's should work better on a lowered car, but nobody has really verified it.

Any help appreciated from sedan owners that have done this!

Old 05-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know the exact answer, but I'd imagine you're correct & would want to use the shorter ones...hopefully someone will know.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:17 PM
I hope so, too. I've done some more searching today and it's actually kind of amusing... I've found posts from people who went either way. It almost doesnt seem as if it matters unless I was doing a REAL slam-job, in which case I'd definitely want the shorter shocks.

I'm leaning towards the longer DSP-7's at this point, but I'll probably hold off for a couple days just in case someone chimes in.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:20 PM
i have eibach pro kit for 350z and the d specs for the G.. no problems with it. you can get either one.

Old 05-04-2007, 04:38 PM
^ ya you can go either way but, if im not mistakin if you get the Z's your rear will be a little lower then the front. I also did a search on D-spec's and from some of the pic's ive seen the Z D-specs Rear look's lower. hope that answers your Quest.
-Loc

Old 05-04-2007, 04:38 PM
I asked this same question to "Gsedan35" (one of our forum suspension gurus who has tested firsthand many different suspension setups). I don't think he would mind me quoting his response. His replies were based on the following options I gave him for my set-up:

1. Z springs front, revised (427 spring rate) coupe springs rear, coupe sport shocks (from an 05-06 coupe) all around,
2. Z springs front, revised coupe springs rear, d-specs
3. Z springs front, unrevised (342 spring rate) coupe springs rear, d-specs

Gsedan35's response:
Option 1: I went out and drove the 05 coupe with the sport suspension when it first came out and I really liked it, I wasn't moved at all by the regular coupe suspension in comparison. It would be a great upgrade. Thing is, your willingness to pay for D-spec shocks mean's your other option's are going to be better option's.

Option 2&3: That would be great. Though only you can decide about how much rear spring to run. They do have different at the limit feel. The 427lbs rear spring equipped car did feel more entertaining, i.e. more willing to rotate. But it was also less forgiving to what you were doing with the throttle and I had to wait longer before I could roll into the throttle coming out of corners. Some will prefer one over the other. I like more fun, but prefer less sensitivity to the throttle and more traction for coming out of the hole, besides I replace my rear tires enough as it is.

G vs Z D-specs mean's the Z version are the same exact thing except the Z version has 1" shorter rear shocks. If you have absolutely no intent of going lower then the coupe springs in the rear, I'd go with the G D-specs. Though Z D-specs would fair better at resale time IMO.

I ended up with z springs front, unrevised coupe springs rear (already on the car with OEM sedan sport shocks). I just bought the DSP-7 (G35) D-specs and will be installing them this weekend as long as time permits. I will let you know how they are compared to OEM sedan sports shocks.

I hope this helps.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:21 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have tokico D specs for the 350z and they fit perfect. I'd recommend getting them no matter spring you get. They are 15 way adjustable and you notice the adjustments. I had them set at 5 and turned them down to 1, my car feels completely different. It feels much more stiff and handling is amazing. I won't leave it like this because its just too rough for my likings and I don't need super handling all the time. You can also dial it in to be as comfortable as OEM.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
You can go with either one. As the other guys have said the Z ones are a little shorter but will work well on lowered G's.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by jameyb
I ended up with z springs front, unrevised coupe springs rear (already on the car with OEM sedan sport shocks). I just bought the DSP-7 (G35) D-specs and will be installing them this weekend as long as time permits. I will let you know how they are compared to OEM sedan sports shocks.

I hope this helps.
Awesome, thanks for all the information. Your configuration is precisely what I'm looking to put in place on my sedan. I'm *very* interested in your opinion on the d-specs, especially since you've already been running with the spring combo and OEM sport shocks. (i'll be getting the d-specs regardless, but I'm definitely hungry for input)

Based on everything I've read (and since have no intention of lowering the car beyond the Z/coupe spring combo), I think I'll stick with the DSP-7 d-specs.

Now all I gotta do is find some of those unrevised coupe springs. They've got suprisingly scarce, it seems.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:16 PM
Good luck finding unrevised. Since those were the hardest for me to find and I live in Hawaii where there are more coupes than any other infiniti model combined. I have been looking for G35 D-specs for a long time I'm waiting it out until I can find them for $500 or less until then my sport shocks will due.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:19 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by perry05G35
Good luck finding unrevised. Since those were the hardest for me to find and I live in Hawaii where there are more coupes than any other infiniti model combined. I have been looking for G35 D-specs for a long time I'm waiting it out until I can find them for $500 or less until then my sport shocks will due.
Good thing I had a set of unrevised Z springs and G coupe springs for you.

When I lowered my coupe on 350Z S-Techs, I went ahead and installed the DSP-9's for the Z. I figured the shocks might last a little longer not being as compressed as the longer DSP-7's. But you can go with either one and you'll be fine.

On the other hand, if you ever decide to return the springs to stock height, the longer DSP-7's could still be used.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Dsp-9

Old 05-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by jameyb
Well? Did you get those puppies installed? Do tell!

I've managed to get my hands on Z springs for the front and unrevised (03) coupe springs for the rear. I've decided that I'm going to order up the DSP-7 d-specs today, too... which should complete the set.

My sedan has just passed the 29k mark and needs to be taken in for the 30k service. She direly needs some new brake rotors and pads, as I'm still on the original set and they're pretty badly warped. I figure I'll take the G in for service next week while it's still stock (perhaps i can get them to replace my creaky-*** compression rods easier that way) and then spend a weekend installing some fresh brakes and the new suspension after I get the car back.

Now, to go search for some replacement brakes...

Old 05-10-2007, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by infocalypse
Well? Did you get those puppies installed? Do tell!
I did, I installed them on Saturday but because it was raining I didn't get a chance to take them out and put them to the test until Sunday. I went out for about a 2 hour drive just to play around with the adjustments. With the reclining seats, it is a breeze to adjust all 4 shocks/struts. I ran them at different settings starting at hard and gradually moving toward soft. In the end, I settled on 3.5 turns from full hard. This seemed to provide the best setting for my driving style.

Overall, the shocks are great. With the OEM shocks, my main issue was that my car's rear end felt bouncy under medium to hard cornering. With the D-specs, it is no longer a problem.

Last edited by jameyb; 05-10-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

I just installed the DSP-7's on mine and am very happy. I have the H Tech Z springs.

I called Tokico and got one of their engineering guys on the phone. (Not a salesman) He said the the D Specs are really designed to be used with their springs (they sell the entire package) and are already sized for approx 1 inch lower than stock. He suggested that I stick with the DSP-7's for the G unless I was a lot lower than 1 inch.

We went with the DSP-9's on my buddys G that has the Eibach springs and is a good bit lower.

Just relaying what I was told directly by the manufacturer.