GTSPEC STRUT BAR...read here

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 01:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
lol... Norb, Scott is a professional driver, used to race Nascar, he tests everything you can throw at him in real world situations (the Track) so i'd have to say he knows his ish!
-GP-
I know he is (I think you're the one who told me)... But the mechanical engineer in me just couldn't help it.

EDIT: On a side note, who was that guy from LV who got turbo-ed by Scott, the one with the black G? (I'm so bad with names.)

Last edited by nooooorb; 05-30-2007 at 01:58 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:24 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by nooooorb
I know he is (I think you're the one who told me)... But the mechanical engineer in me just couldn't help it.

EDIT: On a side note, who was that guy from LV who got turbo-ed by Scott, the one with the black G? (I'm so bad with names.)
jordan - aka canadian

scott has tested plenty of strut bars for our cars.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:30 AM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, noooorb.

That guy with the black '06 G35 is Jordan (Canadian on here)

I have an aerospace engineering background and education, and a degree in Mech. Eng. (to name one) So I do understand your quest for more data. (Its like a sickness we have, Hahaha)
Unfortunately I have not (nor do I see the need to) actually beta test these "strut tower braces" in a lab condition for structural, stencil, and torsional rigidity strength, etc. I feel that is a bit overkill on such a part as this one But I do appreciate your point. And thank you too Grant (and Cal) for looking out.

I have tested several renditions, versions, and materials used in my quest for an actual functional STB. I was shocked to find out just how much these FM designed cars flex under torsional load (especially when the car is in YAW)
To make a long story short, after some failed attempts and some more material and design changes this is what I have came up with. It is made of 4130 and is of a design that has been torture tested to death. Sorry for the lack of scientific data to support this part, but I neither had the time, energy, or resources to get that carried away on a product like this one......maybe next time

Old 05-30-2007, 02:41 AM
Originally Posted by wa2good
So I do understand your quest for more data. (Its like a sickness we have, Hahaha)
Hey Scott,

Ah, so you do understand. It's so hard to let go sometimes, isn't it? LOL.

In any case, maybe one of these days I'll do some simple load cases, but not really knowing the tube structure would make it kind of hard to come up with any sort of useful data. Knowing more of your background now, I'd probably just take your work and word for it.

Norb

Old 05-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Knowing more of your background now, I'd probably just take your work and word for it.

Norb
You can believe hime:bowrohim I'm glad I did. His is the only STB that really works

Lou

Old 05-30-2007, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by lowrider
You can believe himbowrofl: I'm glad I did. His is the only STB that really works

Lou
Lou - Don't get me wrong, I do believe him. I am one who'd rather over-design than risk failure near the failure point (+FOS). Just on material selection and UTS data alone, you can tell his STB is much more solid than any of the others out there. That being said, I am also someone who likes to stir the pot a little... .

Scott - On a different note... I've never been to your shop and I'm sure not a lot of folks here have since you left VRT. Any chance you can get a little meet/tour of your shop one of these days?

Norb

Old 05-30-2007, 12:38 PM
wa2good -

How do you qualify your design? What makes it better or worse than all the other STBs out there? Was any sort of FEA done on it (or even a run-to-failure test) and compared to the other STBs (material-wise and strength-wise)?

Yes. 304SS is stronger than AL6061T6 but for our application, going with SS may be overkill (and at the same time going with AL may be insufficient). So without any real comparative testing with all of the STBs in the market one can't really say that one STB is better than the other.
In regards to aluminum being insufficient i can say from personal experience that it is. I have had 2 different aluminum STB's on my G and both have either bent/torqued themselves. The design of a bent alu stb compounds the weaker material. It may be possible to have an aluminum if is a straight bar but even then i would expect it to fail under high stress.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:44 PM
G35driver Addict
Originally Posted by wa2good
Too bad this Stillen version (and all the other bent aluminum ones) are just that aluminum
Damn, looks like I still have to keep on making my (very first one out) version of these STB's, untill someone steps up and makes a worthy one. Oh well..........
How much will your's cost?

Old 05-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by izmir41500
How much will your's cost?
450 + shipping

Old 05-30-2007, 01:59 PM
does your strut bar fit with a vortech???? i been asking for sooo long!

Old 05-31-2007, 06:25 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by johnjayb
does your strut bar fit with a vortech???? i been asking for sooo long!
'
Besides you, I have not had anyone looking for this STB to fit with the Vortech SC or the ATI Pro Charger. I have already, and will still offer a deeply discounted one to anyone (semi-local) with one of these SC's that can spare their car for a couple days for us to develope one that fits with these centrifigal type SC's. Any takers??? (just PM me)

Old 05-31-2007, 06:39 AM
Banned
Scott - On a different note... I've never been to your shop and I'm sure not a lot of folks here have since you left VRT. Any chance you can get a little meet/tour of your shop one of these days?

Norb
Yes, I am looking to move into a more suitable location here in a while when things slow down a little and some money can be banked. We have just been real busy and there is a lot of new expenses for a start up company here in Cali. Hahaha. But things are going very well none the less, and our location (although NOT to my likeing) is adaquit enough (for now) to handle anything that can be thrown at us. I am just kind of a perfectionest and I would just rather have a better shop and location before too long, then maybe have a grand opening / open house type thing. I will keep everyone posted.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:59 PM
someone with a vortech find out!!!!.... i want a strut bar now... and want the vortech later.