suspension noise help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
suspension noise help

I have some rattle that I hear coming from the front passenger side. Sound like coming from the suspension and it rattles when I go over uneven pavement. Not sure what it is. I do feel some of the rattle vibration through the passenger floor, at least the part of the floor that angles up.

I have some Megan racing coilovers, SPC camber kits, Stillen sways, and SPL endlinks. I just put in the endlinks yesterday thinking (and hoping) that was the cause but it didn't help any. I have checked most of the nuts and bolts and they seem to be tight.

Any ideas what else I should check or what it could be? Any suspension gurus in Norcal wanna check it out for me?

Old 07-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Is it a good possibility there is something wrong with the coilover? It seems to rattle most when driving casually on a rough road in the city but not really when going over speed bumps.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:19 PM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts
how do the megan's adjust height and preload? is it one in teh same or are there different lockin nuts that adjust it? if it is adjusted with only 1 locking nut then you might have lowered the car too far and there might not be enough preload on teh spring and so the spring can move around and rattle.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an idea of what noise you are talking about... Your coilovers have pillow ball mounts right?

Old 07-05-2007, 10:51 PM
[SFLG35]
I doubt that I have lowered it too far. The car is only lowered less than 2". I have a 2 finger gap between the tire and the wheel well.

[Endless Shock]
The do have pillow ball mounts. What are you thinking?

Old 07-05-2007, 11:32 PM
How many miles have you had your coilovers on? After time pillow ball mounts will make a clunking sound... I run Cusco Zero 2's... I have changed the pillow ball mounts twice cause of the noise now I have had rubber mounts and the sound is gone...

Old 07-05-2007, 11:43 PM
it has about 10000 miles on them. Thanks I'll look into that. Where do you get pillow ball mounts from?

Old 07-06-2007, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by erdog
it has about 10000 miles on them. Thanks I'll look into that. Where do you get pillow ball mounts from?
That depends on what coils you have... I know that Cusco had an option of getting them... Im not sure about the ones you have... There is no harm in asking though... I for this reason I have 2 sets of rear shocks (pillow ball and hard rubber)...

I wish you lived closer to me so I can tell you if thats where it coming from... Its a very distinguished sound and you cant mistake if for something esle...

Good luck with the trouble shooting...

Old 07-06-2007, 05:09 PM
The sound is like a loose rattle, metal on metal. I can't really hear it from outside as much as I do from inside the cabin. I hear it the most going slow over uneven pavement and not so much when going faster. Are these the same symptoms?

I am running on Megan Racing coilovers and will see if I can get some replacements from Megan Racing but not sure how to convince them that it is the pillowball mounts without having to take it apart. I don't want to put my stock suspension back on.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:44 AM
Fromt what you are telling me it sounds like the problem that I use to have... Let me guess you hear it really well going down the driveway? Im not familiar with Megan - Are they full coilover rears? Or are the springs in the stock location... If they are like stock - replace the shocks with your stockies... JUST THE SHOCKS... 3 bolts arent that bad... Should take you less than an hour with the right tools...

Old 07-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Check the things I mentioned in my pm from my350. Your issue is most likely a tightening up of something loose issue.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Gsedan35
Check the things I mentioned in my pm from my350. Your issue is most likely a tightening up of something loose issue.
That and/or your system isnt seated properly...

Old 07-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Just checked the passenger front coilover and the collars seem to be tight, both the top and bottom ones. I didn't check the other corners because I am positive that I hear it coming from the front passenger side. The endlink looks pretty much fine especially since I just switched to the beefier SPL ones last weekend. The coilover seems to be seated correctly. Maybe I should have taken a photo. I'll do that the next time I take the wheel off.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Received 35 Likes on 12 Posts
Any updates?

Old 07-11-2007, 02:25 AM
Well after I checked to make sure the collars were tight and they were, at least in the right front, I couldn't find any problems with them. I didn't really check the camber kit much though so maybe its that but I don't have much experience taking apart suspension so I haven't really gone in too deep into the suspension. I already rounded off a nut in changing out my endlinks cuz they are torqued down pretty good.

I increased the dampening to stiffer and as one would expect, the rattling seems to be louder and to me, it is definitely coming from the front right area of the car.

If you are interested in looking at it maybe I can take a roadtrip out to you, Gsedan35, one day cuz its annoying the hell outta me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: suspension noise help