Brembo brakes.. worth it? costly?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 01:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Brembo brakes.. worth it? costly?

The car im about to jump on is a 04 with brembos... i guess my first question is when it comes time to replace brake pads... what kind of pads are used with them? and how much do they cost?

My second question is do i have to replace the rotors at every brake pad change? and how much do the rotors cost?

Also, how often do you guys with the "brembos" have to change pads/rotors.

and lastly Are the brembos even worth it? or are the regular brake setups just as good and less $$ to upkeep?

lol thanks guys. i know thats alot.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:12 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Do some internet searching for prices...For the pads, you can buy the oem brembo pads. For the rotors, you dont have to replace them every brake change, but you can upgrade if you want to. I've had my car for 13,000 miles and havent changed the pads yet. If the dealer is raising the price for them, I'd pass. If the price isnt really affected, then theyre a nice extra to have.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, if you are planning on getting the 04 sport package 6MT, then you won't have a choice as Brembo's are already included (correct me if I'm wrong). So, it's kinda of a moot point if you have only 1 car in mind (or one type). Only way to get away from this is to buy an 05+ (they won't have the Brembos on the 6MT).

Old 08-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Yes Brembos are going to be more expensive to maintain than stock. The pads cost more than OEM and require a larger wheel so replacement tires will cost a bit more than OEM 17s.

Are Brembos better? Depends. For normal everyday (legal) driving, probably not. The OEM brakes are very effective. For the track, Brembos will be superior to the OEM setup.

But the Brembo brakes do look cooler than the stock brake setup.

BTW, I have an 03 coupe w/o Brembos.

Mabey someone with the brembo package can speak to their experience....

Old 08-21-2007, 02:33 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
I have the brembos, and i haven't drove any other G with the non-brembos so i can't really tell you the difference.

Couple things that bother me about the brembos are...

The pads cost more than non-brembos.
The brake dust is alot
and it squeeks like a mack truck.

However, i do like brembos...

cause of the looks
it stops the fat pig(G35) pretty nicely
and i believe the rotors are bigger in diameter, filling the space better in bigger diameter wheels.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Twinturbo2800
The car im about to jump on is a 04 with brembos... i guess my first question is when it comes time to replace brake pads... what kind of pads are used with them? and how much do they cost?

My second question is do i have to replace the rotors at every brake pad change? and how much do the rotors cost?

and lastly Are the brembos even worth it? or are the regular brake setups just as good and less $$ to upkeep?

you can either use oem pads, axxis pads, hawk, etc. search the brakes section and marketplace for prices...i changed my brembo pads at around

35,000 miles and i left the rotors alone...im at 44,000 now and no problems with the rotors...IMO the brembos are worth it...from what i read and heard,

alot of g's with the regular brakes have to replace pads every 20k miles average...the performance of the two are pretty similar during city driving but

at the track and hard braking there is a huge difference...you'll notice it when you slam on the brakes...my brembos saved me big two times, i'm sure if i had

the stock brakes it would've been different...also the brembos are rare, that's a big plus to me...

Old 08-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Who wants 17's on their G coupe anyway?

Yes, the Brembos are worth it. Pads aren't too expensive. You can get Axxis pads for less than $100 for all four pairs and they will dust less than OEM. The OEM Brembo rotors are fine and you have more upgrade options with the Brembos.

The disadvantage of going with Brembos is that if you buy aftermarket wheels, you need to make sure they will clear the Brembos.

The best reason to get the Brembo brakes on 03 and 03 is because they come with a 6mt attached to the car.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:46 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Gilley
The disadvantage of going with Brembos is that if you buy aftermarket wheels, you need to make sure they will clear the Brembos.
,+1

Old 08-21-2007, 03:23 PM
well worth it to have the brembos! even the hawk hps pads will save you with the brake dust situation... $160 for a set is not bad at all... and they do look 10x better behind aftermarket wheels as well! =)

Old 08-21-2007, 03:29 PM
i love my brembo's. i look at other g's without the brembo's and just think ''man, your missing out''. the brembo's have saved my *** from crashing a few times. i just did slotted rotors and endless pads a bit ago paid about 500 for everything. talk about stop on a dime. GET IT! click here for the install pics.https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...ight=g35ctuner

Old 08-21-2007, 04:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Brembos

I love my Brembos too. But even driving the loaner sedan it seems like the stock brakes are pretty good. When I was buying my '04 I figured the Brembos are a bonus. The pads life will depend on your driving style. People on here complain about changing them often, but I changed my rears recently at 41,000 miles and fronts I will have to change by 50,000 miles, but then again I don't floor it just to slam on the brakes a second later (I'm more of a responsible driver).
Anyway, mine squeaked for only few thousand miles since I got the car, and I haven't heard a sound from them for almost 2 years.
As for prices, pads you can get for less than $80 a pair, and rotors you should be able to rotate at least once. I've seen our Brembo rotors on sale for less than $150 a piece so it's not bad.
As for brake dust, it's true. They do make lots of it, but wiping it dry every few days and washing the car here and there takes care of that. Don't worry.
I'd get it all over again.
Good luck.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by Twinturbo2800

You can get great quality NON-OEM pads for Brembo's many many places now and have many choices as far as, wear\life, compound (noise\dust\etc.)... I use Hawks ceramic pads and the wheels stay clean; the performance is near OEM Brembo type but not quite as good (I don't think the average driver would even notice). I like these because I don't track the car, the wheels stay clean, they are quiet, and the life expectancy is good.

My first OEM pads were changed at 60K; the Hawks look like there are about 60% pad left after 15K. I had the original rotors surfaced and still have them so if you read that cannot be done; that is incorrect.

Brenbo's are definately worth it!
They look good!
They are fixed 4 piston front (no floating caliper).
They perform great with virtually no fading ever at any speed.
They raise the resale value of the car.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G Thing
Are Brembos better? Depends. For normal everyday (legal) driving, probably not. The OEM brakes are very effective. For the track, Brembos will be superior to the OEM setup.

But the Brembo brakes do look cooler than the stock brake setup.

+1...how many of the brembo owners really need to stop on a dime if your driving legally?

Old 08-21-2007, 04:36 PM
Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
To those of you that have not changed rotors when you changed pads: have you felt your rotors to see if there is a huge lip where the rotor is worn down?

If so, you should have had them replaced!!

My take:

Having driven an 05 and my Brembo 04, there is no comparison in the two set-ups at any speed, period. The pedal feel in the 05 is mushy and non-descript. The Brembos are nice and firm and even all the way.

Pads are only marginally more expensive to replace and these will take care of the dusting issue.

Yes, you will likely want to replace rotors, but you can get some awesome slotted/cryogenically treted rotors from Tirerack for reasonable cash. Just don't buy any of these parts from the dealer--even at my Nissam mechanic's cost, the prices were outrageous.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:57 PM
yea they are more expensive to maintain... also brake packages when service is required dont include the service on brembos unless the car which is 04 still has some kind of warrenty on it..correct me if im wrong idk

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brembo brakes.. worth it? costly?