Cracking Crossdrilled Rotors!>

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 1SUPERG
My Centric brand rotors cracked, but it was after a track day (4 runs x 20 minutes each) and these were cheap rotors. https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-suspension/176647-dba-rotors.html

In retrospect, my guess is they would probably be OK for daily driver use. owever, if one was to crack, you might not ever see it until too late. But has anyone ever read a thread where some rotors failed in a street application and they blew their wheel off and crashed? I haven't. But I don't want to buy new rotors if they do start cracking either.

For me personally, I will not be using cross-drilled unless it is a known reputable brand such as Brembo or Stoptech etc. I will pretty much be using slotted, I don't think the gains (if any) from drilled are worth any chance of failure. They look nice though...
Centric owns StopTech. http://www.stoptech.com/company_info..._Centric.shtml

Old 10-22-2007, 12:07 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Not sure how to take this. Is my opinion wrong? If so, then sure, please correct it.

IMHO, I "guess" if you want to street use your x-drilled (not cast) rotors, it's probably fine. To ME, the unnecessary risk of cracking and the near nil benefits of such rotors doesn't outweigh the "look" of having them. But looks are subjective so for some, it's worth it.

Racing teams that use x-drilled rotors heat them up to the point of actually making use of them. But that also introduces more possibility of cracking due to the less mass and stress risers the holes make. Then again, if the rotor breaks, they just slide onto a run off area. Or if they are cracked at the end of the race, they simply replace them.

Someone recommended to call stoptech. No need, it's on their site:

Which is better, slotted or drilled rotors?
StopTech provides rotors slotted, drilled or plain. For most performance applications slotted is the preferred choice. Slotting helps wipe away debris from between the pad and rotor as well as increasing the "bite" characteristics of the pad. A drilled rotor provides the same type of benefit, but is more susceptible to cracking under severe usage. Many customers prefer the look of a drilled rotor and for street and occasional light duty track use they will work fine. For more severe applications, we recommend slotted rotors.
It would seem that x-drilled are fine for the street because most won't even work the rotors hard enough to crack them. But as the conditions get worse, they don't recommend them.

Originally Posted by Triple8Sol
And how many people that posted their "opinion" in this thread actually hit the track with any regularity (including you and I)? Not very many, if any at all...