Bilsteins and springs installed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 05:17 PM
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
My approach is simple-I do not waste my time on all that pretentios scientific crap. I know that if I spin the **** on the shock, car handles and rides differently. I spin it until I like the results and sleep well.
I spend my time enjoying my car, not testing shocks and writing articles on the web.
It is definitely an overkill to be so **** about 40 second autocross run...but hey, some people eat their own boogers....

Old 05-29-2008, 05:19 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by obender66
My approach is simple-I do not waste my time on all that pretentios scientific crap. I know that if I spin the **** on the shock, car handles and rides differently. I spin it until I like the results and sleep well.
I spend my time enjoying my car, not testing shocks and writing articles on the web.
It is definitely an overkill to be so **** about 40 second autocross run...but hey, some people eat their own boogers....
exactly. This is not a formula one race car, it is just a sporty coupe/sedan.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by obender66
Yup, Tokico might not be that great and adjustable might be bull, but my car handles 10x better than stock and the tighter shock settings keep the springs from bouncing all over the place.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
First of all, let me correct my jiberish writing in the first paragraph...

Jeff92se all the adjustable shocks' job is, is to allow the amount travel the actuall spring does. When u adjust it to stiff it allows less travel for the SAME spring therefore giving ur the impression that the car is stiffer. That is all there is.

Now to answer ur question... Without a shock, the spring is useless. If u run ur car 1000lb springs without any type of shocks, hit a pig pothol and u will go up and down like a 100lb spring without a shock absorber. For a 1000lb spring u need a shock that can sustain the energy that the 1000lb spring might have after compressing and such... same goes for springs that are rated 100lb.

Hope it made sense.
This is completely false. Like Jeff stated, adjusting a shock's compression/rebound(rebound for the d-specs) does not change how much total spring/shock travel there is AT ALL. The only thing it does is changes the force required at which this travel occurs. Using the same spring, changing the d-specs from soft to hard is a very minimal effect on initial spring compression, what is changes is how fast the spring uncompresses, like Jeff stated, "control". The total amount of travel possible remains the same though, it just takes more spring compression/release for it to counteract the compression/rebound control. The reason it feels stiffer as you crank the **** is due to the suspension traveling less due to the spring's movement being limited more by the shock control.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
First of all, let me correct my jiberish writing in the first paragraph...

Jeff92se all the adjustable shocks' job is, is to allow the amount travel the actuall spring does. When u adjust it to stiff it allows less travel for the SAME spring therefore giving ur the impression that the car is stiffer. That is all there is.

Now to answer ur question... Without a shock, the spring is useless. If u run ur car 1000lb springs without any type of shocks, hit a pig pothol and u will go up and down like a 100lb spring without a shock absorber. For a 1000lb spring u need a shock that can sustain the energy that the 1000lb spring might have after compressing and such... same goes for springs that are rated 100lb.

Hope it made sense.
Exactly what I have been saying. But others claim stiffening up the shocks = better handling. At least that's what I THINK someone is claiming. Who knows what cryptic language he's trying to speak

Adjusting shock to match the spring rate = fine.
Adjusting shock to way beyond that match = not the correct way. Others will disagree

Making the shock stiffer/softer doesn't affect the travel length of the spring or shock. Given enough force, it WILL compress/decompress to it's full alloted travel length. But if you are saying that stiffening the shock will reduce the amount the spring compresses on a given downward force, yes that might happen. BUT that's not what the shock was desgined for. that's what the spring is desgined for.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 05-29-2008 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by redlude97
This is completely false. Like Jeff stated, adjusting a shock's compression/rebound(rebound for the d-specs) does not change how much total spring/shock travel there is AT ALL. The only thing it does is changes the force required at which this travel occurs. Using the same spring, changing the d-specs from soft to hard is a very minimal effect on initial spring compression, what is changes is how fast the spring uncompresses, like Jeff stated, "control". The total amount of travel possible remains the same though, it just takes more spring compression/release for it to counteract the compression/rebound control. The reason it feels stiffer as you crank the **** is due to the suspension traveling less due to the spring's movement being limited more by the shock control.
Well according to Jeff and You, shock has nothing to do of how much the spring compresses. Now u are contradicting urself.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by Nickk6
Discussion? I was never discussing anything,
That much was very clear.

I simply asked a question
That's what I thought I was asking. A question to quantify your answer.

and had a bombardment of quote replies with my name with false accusations.... wow.... guess I win
Whether or not any accusations were false or not, will continue to remain a mystery. Luckily, it ain't that a big of a deal.

Win? Congrats on being the most evasive?

Old 05-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Red Card Crew

Well according to Jeff and You, shock has nothing to do of how much the spring compresses. Now u are contradicting urself.
No. We are saying the shock SHOULDN'T have a bearing on how much the spring compresses. (correct way of tuning)

Not that the shock CAN'T have the ability to do this. (incorrect way of tuning)

Just because you are able to adust it one way or the other, doesn't mean it's okay or recommended. For example, anyone is welcome to lower their car down the weeds and not use any camber correction. They will end up with 3-4 deg of neg camber? They might even swear up and down their car handles like no other now. But in reality, is that the proper way to lower the car?

Last edited by Jeff92se; 05-29-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Where did I say it has nothing to do with how much the spring compresses? I stated that it changes the force required for that to occur, but the TOTAL travel hasn't changed. You stated that by adjusting the the shock stiffer(compression or rebound? you never stated) that the travel would be less for the same spring. The TOTAL travel is still the same. This is especially true for shocks that only adjust rebound. It will be just as easy to compress the shock at soft or hard because you aren't changing this characteristic, you are changing how much the shock resists being uncompressed(rebound). This translates to a a "stiffer" feel because when cornering, one spring compresses while the other uncompresses, increasing the rebound effects this tendency, but your fundamental reasoning is wrong.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
No. We are saying the shock SHOULDN'T have a bearing on how much the spring compresses. (correct way of tuning)

Not that the shock CAN'T have the ability to do this. (incorrect way of tuning)

Just because you are able to adust it one way or the other, doesn't mean it's okay or recommended. For example, anyone is welcome to lower their car down the weeds and not use any camber correction. They will end up with 3-4 deg of neg camber? They might even swear up and down their car handles like no other now. But in reality, is that the proper way to lower the car?
So are u saying by stiffening the shocks all it does is lagg the rebound of the shock therefore giving u the impression the car is stiffer???

One thing about lowering/camber kits etc... Yes more negative camber means more grip also faster tirewear in normal driving condition. I personally care about grip therefore as long as my toe is withing specs i could care less about a camber kit. I am okay going through tires every year.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:35 PM
Where did I say it has nothing to do with how much the spring compresses? I stated that it changes the force required for that to occur, but the TOTAL travel hasn't changed. You stated that by adjusting the the shock stiffer(compression or rebound? you never stated) that the travel would be less for the same spring. The TOTAL travel is still the same. This is especially true for shocks that only adjust rebound. It will be just as easy to compress the shock at soft or hard because you aren't changing this characteristic, you are changing how much the shock resists being uncompressed(rebound). This translates to a a "stiffer" feel because when cornering, one spring compresses while the other uncompresses, increasing the rebound effects this tendency, but your fundamental reasoning is wrong.
Ok, now i see what u are saying...

Old 05-29-2008, 06:35 PM
So are u saying by stiffening the shocks all it does is lagg the rebound of the shock therefore giving u the impression the car is stiffer???

One thing about lowering/camber kits etc... Yes more negative camber means more grip also faster tirewear in normal driving condition. I personally care about grip therefore as long as my toe is withing specs i could care less about a camber kit. I am okay going through tires every year.
What do you mean by stiffer, are you adjusting rebound or compression?

Old 05-29-2008, 06:38 PM
What do you mean by stiffer, are you adjusting rebound or compression?
what do those ***** adjust on top of the shock? Do those clicks adjust the rebound or the compression. By reading this thread im guessing it adjusts the rebound.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:41 PM
what do those ***** adjust on top of the shock? Do those clicks adjust the rebound or the compression. By reading this thread im guessing it adjusts the rebound.
It depends on the shock, some only do one or the other, some can do both

Old 05-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Red Card Crew

On the issue of camber the point is to maintain as much tire on the road as possible. There is a law of diminishing returns as it pertains to camber(and shock stiffness). More is better to a point. After that point more is worse.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bilsteins and springs installed...