Bilsteins and springs installed...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
On the issue of camber the point is to maintain as much tire on the road as possible. There is a law of diminishing returns as it pertains to camber(and shock stiffness). More is better to a point. After that point more is worse.
+1, The only way to determine this is with a tire pyrometer. Simply stating more negative camber is better is completely ignorant.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
On the issue of camber the point is to maintain as much tire on the road as possible. There is a law of diminishing returns as it pertains to camber(and shock stiffness). More is better to a point. After that point more is worse.
As far as the camber issues goes, generally more camber means more grip, more g-forces through a corner. Everyone is amazed about GTR's road holding capabilities but they don't realise that AWD and over -3.0 camber will result in exceptional road holding capabilities yet u will go through tires every 10-15k miles.

Now as far as suspension stiffness goes, stiffer does not mean better road holding capabilities in fact if u have too much stiffness and ur road holding capabilities will diminish dramatically and u will be driving a very unstable car.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
As far as the camber issues goes, generally more camber means more grip, more g-forces through a corner. Everyone is amazed about GTR's road holding capabilities but they don't realise that AWD and over -3.0 camber will result in exceptional road holding capabilities yet u will go through tires every 10-15k miles.

Now as far as suspension stiffness goes, stiffer does not mean better road holding capabilities in fact if u have too much stiffness and ur road holding capabilities will diminish dramatically and u will be driving a very unstable car.
Do you understand why this is the case?

Old 05-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Do you understand why this is the case?
Yes.......

Old 05-30-2008, 05:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Jeff, relax, I was joking as in I won nothing but wasting my time. All I know is, I bought the damn shocks, if the settings are to soft the car bounces all over the road. When they are all equally firm, the car has great handling characteristics. Its firm and comfotable but handles freeway on ramps with ease. I took a turn so fast today on the on ramp, I scared my self for the first time ever in my car, and I have had this thing at the limiter on a few occassions. If I didn't have the adjustability on the suspension and it was too soft as in not enough dampening for the current spring, I would bounce like hell and it wouldn't be safe. My ride has remained unchanged for nearly 30,000 hard miles. I actually think these are a pretty good shock. I am probably cursing myself by writing this but the car handles so good I was never inclined to do more suspension mods as I had no need for the car to handle better on the streets.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Holy chit...I cannot believe this turned into 1 huge argument.

Adjustable shocks=junk unless the valving is matched, which will never happen straight off the shelf.

Camber=good to a certain extent. Pretty sure this has already been discussed. Pyrometer on the tire, cold spot means that part was making very little or no contact, adjust camber accordingly.

Why is it that caster was never discussed while we were at it? I would say caster is probably one of the biggest characteristics of your handling, as far as initial turn-in and control goes. Think of it like this: You're pushing a 2-wheel dolly/moving cart/whatever you call them. Stand it straight up and try to turn; the turning is uncontrolable for the most part. Now, tilt it 45* and do the same, you get much better control over how far the initial turn-in goes.

Honestly, I think this thread needs to end...I smell a flame war coming..........

Old 05-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally Posted by Lucky-G
Holy chit...I cannot believe this turned into 1 huge argument.

Adjustable shocks=junk unless the valving is matched, which will never happen straight off the shelf.

Camber=good to a certain extent. Pretty sure this has already been discussed. Pyrometer on the tire, cold spot means that part was making very little or no contact, adjust camber accordingly.

Why is it that caster was never discussed while we were at it? I would say caster is probably one of the biggest characteristics of your handling, as far as initial turn-in and control goes. Think of it like this: You're pushing a 2-wheel dolly/moving cart/whatever you call them. Stand it straight up and try to turn; the turning is uncontrolable for the most part. Now, tilt it 45* and do the same, you get much better control over how far the initial turn-in goes.

Honestly, I think this thread needs to end...I smell a flame war coming..........
Really everyone should relax. As far as caster goes, I think keep everything relatively straight is for best tire wear. Not every degree counts for daily driving unless you drive like you are in daytona 500. If you were that serious as needing to set up your caster, you'd be adjusting for what type of driving you are doing that day, auto x, circuits, drifting. Thats why I didn't understand why this thread got off topic. It was originally about Bilsteins and OP installing them.

Old 05-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Relax...don't do it....when you wanna don't do it lol name that song!

Old 05-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Nickk6
Jeff, relax, I was joking as in I won nothing but wasting my time. All I know is, I bought the damn shocks, if the settings are to soft the car bounces all over the road. When they are all equally firm, the car has great handling characteristics. Its firm and comfotable but handles freeway on ramps with ease. I took a turn so fast today on the on ramp, I scared my self for the first time ever in my car, and I have had this thing at the limiter on a few occassions. If I didn't have the adjustability on the suspension and it was too soft as in not enough dampening for the current spring, I would bounce like hell and it wouldn't be safe. My ride has remained unchanged for nearly 30,000 hard miles. I actually think these are a pretty good shock. I am probably cursing myself by writing this but the car handles so good I was never inclined to do more suspension mods as I had no need for the car to handle better on the streets.
I'm over it. As long as you stay off the stiffer settings, you are fine.

Not to add fuel to the fire but look for an used set of swaybars. I went bars, 19" coupe wheels then Koni shocks/G-Coupe springs. The bars made a big diff with my stock suspension (premium=softest of all G/Z oem suspensions)

For $200 used, you can't beat the value. Especially when they are adjustable. You will be able to dial out the shocks to a softer setting and use the bars to tune the handling.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm over it. As long as you stay off the stiffer settings, you are fine.

Not to add fuel to the fire but look for an used set of swaybars. I went bars, 19" coupe wheels then Koni shocks/G-Coupe springs. The bars made a big diff with my stock suspension (premium=softest of all G/Z oem suspensions)

For $200 used, you can't beat the value. Especially when they are adjustable. You will be able to dial out the shocks to a softer setting and use the bars to tune the handling.
Not adding any fuel, I'm here to learn to. Why do you say stay off the stiffer settings? Honestly the car bounces like a 1995 caprice with blown shocks when they are soft. Its really not comfortable or stable. I've been wanting to add some suspension upgrades...I am just undecided as what I am doing with the car. Trying to get a 4 cylinder tacoma ATM for a daily driver and turn the G into a track car since I only have a 1 mile commute from home to work.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:15 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Depends

Last edited by Jeff92se; 05-30-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Because running them on full stiff = tuning the suspension the wrong way. As per the last 4-5 posts by me and Redlud97
Yeah, I am not full stiff, its got 3 clicks before full hardness. That sounds pretty homo, but hopefully you catch the right drift.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Depends
Gettin slow in your old age eh? jk