Is My Brake Caliper Seizing ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes Is My Brake Caliper Seizing ?

Is my Brembo brake caliper seizing?

I am about 40k miles and 1/2 inch of brake pad life left all around. However, my driver side rear brake is rubbing when the wheel is turning. It has been getting progressively worse over the last week.

I removed the wheel and inspected. Disc rotor looks fine and is smooth. Brake pads look ok, and the caliper bolts are on tight. I also have recommended DOT 3 brake fluid filled to the line.

What could be causing the caliper to seize and not retract back like it's supposed to?

How can I alleviate this problem without taking it to the shop?

Thank you

Old 06-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Seems unlikely on such a young car, unless it's exposed to a lot of salt and moisture. If it is exposed to those elements, the piston could be corroded and/or the seal could be damaged, causing the piston to be stuck in the bore. Only way to know would be to remove the caliper and inspect the piston. Here's a procedure I came across on another site:

"Remove the bad caliper from the car but leave the hydrolic hose connected. Have a friend slowly push on the pedal to determine which side of the caliper the piston is seized in (maybe both sides?). Once found take a C-clamp and firmly compress the good piston tight in the caliper. Then (for safety sake) put a block of wood slightly smaller than the opening left in the caliper (3/8-1/2" smaller). Now have your friend push hard on the pedal. Watch and either the piston will move or not. Once it starts to move carefully push it out of its bore but remember NOT to push the piston completely out! (Hence
the wood block) Then use another c-clamp and compress the piston back in the caliper. Repeating this process several times can "free up" a slightly sticking caliper. BTW you can add a little WD-40 to help penetrate and remove any rust in the caliper bore.

If this doesn't free the sticking pistion then you must remove the bad caliper from the car and replace it.

I strongly recommend rebleeding the brakes after you do this procedure."

http://www.firstfives.org/wwwboard/messages/6537.html

There are options - i.e. replace with a new or reman caliper, or use a rebuild kit with new pistons, seals, etc. All depends on the shop you take it to.

Also, are you sure it's not the e-brake shoe rubbing?

Last edited by G35fromPA; 06-16-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
the most common issue would be that the caliper is not floating freely. remove the caliper mounting bolts and use high temp grease to lubricate all metal to metal floating parts.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:11 PM
if your pads are all even wear...its gonna be something minor, like speed mentioned before me...try and lube the caliper slides/pins..... i use di electric/brake grease...its one in the same......

Old 06-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Wow, thank you all for the replies. I have never never bled the brakes or performed caliper maintenance before, just replaced brake pads. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It's so embarrassing hearing the rubbing sound on such a nice vehicle. Going to work on it this evening or tomorrow. You rock!

I'll be sure to post an update on what works so maybe others may search and find this post someday.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
the most common issue would be that the caliper is not floating freely. remove the caliper mounting bolts and use high temp grease to lubricate all metal to metal floating parts.
I assume you mean the pads sliding freely over the pins, not the caliper. Brembos are not floating calipers.