Compression Rod Install for a Coupe, need Help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Compression Rod Install for a Coupe, need Help.

Hi, I have searched this forum and Have not found any DIY for replacing compression rods. I received the rods yesterday, and I would really like to install them today. It seems like it will be easy enough but I know it would be a lot easier if there was a write up on this. If not I may do one.

I know its a good idea to get an alignment anytime you change or upgrade your suspension. But will I have to get an alignment after i replace these?

I also plan on changing my springs fairly soon. So should just wait to get an alignment when I do the springs?

Old 07-04-2008, 11:56 PM
bump. anyone?

Old 07-07-2008, 02:38 AM
I have started this install and I cant get the left compression rod off. The Bushing seems to be rusted to the stud. Does anyone have any suggestions. The right side was hard to get off but much easier then this one. I pounded on it a few times with a hammer and it seemed to break free fairly easily. The Left side is a different story. I have pryed it, pounded on it PB blastered the hell out of it. and repeated each of these over and over again. I cant seem to find a puller that will work either. everything that I have tried will not work.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Attached Thumbnails Compression Rod Install for a Coupe, need Help.-dsc_3755.jpg  
Old 07-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem as you except on both sides. Unfortunitly I posted and no one offered me really any substantial help. But let me give you a hand. It wasnt the easiest process but it worked.

1.I had to tourch the metal around the bushing until the rubber inside started to smoke. I then used a pry bar and pried down on the compression rod, this allowed me to get the arm off but left the big rubber bushing still stuck on the bolt under the car.

See Pics from my previous thread
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...31#post3168531

2. I then used A dremmal to cut two slits from top top to bottom of the bushing about a half inch apart and used cutters to snip away the rubber in between exposing the metal shaft that is stuck to the bolt.

3. Now that the rubber was out of the way and then took a dremal and cut the shaft in half this took a while but I was able to get it off.

Hope this helps

Old 07-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Thank you for your help!! This was then next thing I was going to try. Im probably going to go and buy a torch after work and burn that **** off!
I have a dremel so hopefully I can get it off tonight!!!!!!!

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by nemises
I had the same problem as you except on both sides. Unfortunitly I posted and no one offered me really any substantial help. But let me give you a hand. It wasnt the easiest process but it worked.

1.I had to tourch the metal around the bushing until the rubber inside started to smoke. I then used a pry bar and pried down on the compression rod, this allowed me to get the arm off but left the big rubber bushing still stuck on the bolt under the car.

See Pics from my previous thread
https://g35driver.com/forums/showthr...31#post3168531

2. I then used A dremmal to cut two slits from top top to bottom of the bushing about a half inch apart and used cutters to snip away the rubber in between exposing the metal shaft that is stuck to the bolt.

3. Now that the rubber was out of the way and then took a dremal and cut the shaft in half this took a while but I was able to get it off.

Hope this helps