I think I Ducked it up! Air in Master Brake Cylinder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2008 | 08:21 PM
|
Florida G35 Club, General Member
Air in Master Brake Cylinder - I Ducked it up!

So, I happen to be the jackass that messed up and got air into my master cylinder.

Long story really really short, I was installing my BBK, parts were wrong , I ordered, 5 days passed and when I finally got everything in hand, it was late Thursday night...DOMO I had to drive 1200 miles for the weekend and needed to get it working, made the mistake and pumped the brake too many times and here I am.

Friday morning, I limped the car over to a mechanic and they bled the brakes again, got a lot of air out.

The car stops, but the brakes are not nearly as responsive as they were before I removed the OEM's. I only expected them to be almost as responsive as OEM during normal driving but when stomping on them, I would stop faster.

I have an 05 coupe 6mt. What should I do? Do I have to have the ABS module bled as well? If I just keep adding fluid and flushing, will I get the air out?

From the design (or at least what I can see on the outside) of the ABS module, the exit points are on top, so I would expect the air to be forced out the top into the lines.

Looking at the design of the master cylinder, Im not sure if just bleeding would get all the air out :-( b/c it's on a slant and the exit tube may not be at the height of the cylinder.

to note: I never disconnected any lines on the cylinder itself, never disconnected any on the ABS module either, I only pulled the stock brake lines at the hardline/rubber OEM line junction to replace them with SS lines and I switched them quickly so I wouldn't let much air up in the system.

Help, someone with experience!

Adrian

PS I searched and never really found anything specific about bleeding the master brake cylinder or ABS module.

Last edited by Jamaica2G; 11-11-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-11-2008 | 09:47 PM
what makes you think you got air in the abs? if the resoviour was fill even if you pumped the brakes you shouldn't have gotten air into the master cylinder. I put a bbk in 2 weeks ago with lines all around and I pumped the brakes(didnt really read up prior) because there was zero pressure. long story short I bled them and the fluid came out intially a custard color(probably from pumping) but after a few inches of brake fluid was bled it was clear. anyways I got the lines flushed again and the brakes work awsome and feels like I'm pushing a brick oppose to an airpump. gl

on my old car I had a mercedez benz tech put in new rotors, pads, and flushed the lines and the pedal was softer than oem at least in my head. maybe your expectations were too high

Old 11-11-2008 | 10:52 PM
The goblin resurrection
Premier Member
what bbk did you get?

Old 11-11-2008 | 11:48 PM
|
the reservoir was almost empty if not empty. There was an area closer to the passenger compartment that still had fluid in it, but the main container was so low I couldn't tell if it even had fluid in it.

a Wilwood 6/4

I couldn't afford Gilley's 8/4 Rotora hahahaha!

Old 11-12-2008 | 01:15 AM
Canada, eh?
Premier Member
Just keep bleeding the brakes. I bled mine about 3 times until it felt perfect.

BTW you won't stop any quicker with a BBK. Chances are, you may actually even stop slower as with the bigger calipers you will engage ABS a lot quicker with the added braking force. If you can stop without engaging ABS, you will stop quicker.

Old 11-12-2008 | 07:23 AM
|
Late last night drove home from the library... went 100mph and slammed on the brakes.

ABS engaged but everything felt solid. I was very happy.

I think the problem was that initial bite sucks, I didn't like the change in the pedal feel but as i've been getting used to it, it slowly feels more and more comfortable.

Originally Posted by Canadian
Just keep bleeding the brakes. I bled mine about 3 times until it felt perfect.

BTW you won't stop any quicker with a BBK. Chances are, you may actually even stop slower as with the bigger calipers you will engage ABS a lot quicker with the added braking force. If you can stop without engaging ABS, you will stop quicker.
Well, I just have to adapt to the new pedal height and feel so I dont automatically hit ABS.

Another question, how much volume of motul 600 is needed to completely switch fluids?

Adrian

Last edited by Jamaica2G; 11-12-2008 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-13-2008 | 01:14 AM
When switching out to a BBK its very important to bed the brakes properly. Transfering the pad material to the rotor is crucial to getting the most out of the stopping power/friction performance.

As Canadian stated, do a few rounds of bleeding (if you are doing it alone). With new calipers and lines, you will need to fill those up with fluid which will in turn push the air out of the brake system.

Old 11-13-2008 | 01:30 AM
1.5qt is all thats needed to flush the system

Old 11-13-2008 | 05:16 AM
|
so basically, the more bleeding, the better chance of getting it where I expect... There has to be an efficient way of doing this lol. I'm gonna order one of those pressure pumps

Old 11-13-2008 | 12:47 PM
Well, you really only need to bleed the brakes once if you get all the air out of the system. I just did a BBK over the weekend with a friend and we got all the air out of the system in one sitting. Since it was a completely new install all the way around we had to fill everything backup with fluid and remove all the air.

Old 11-14-2008 | 04:11 AM
take it to sears and they charge $35 to do a complete flush, its a bitch trying to do on jackstands and 35 isnt anything to stop properly

Old 11-14-2008 | 09:42 AM
dam hope everything works out bro

Old 11-15-2008 | 01:25 AM
|
Originally Posted by terps
take it to sears and they charge $35 to do a complete flush, its a bitch trying to do on jackstands and 35 isnt anything to stop properly

So you emptied the entire system before refilling it?

Old 11-15-2008 | 02:44 PM
|
Originally Posted by escobar929
dam hope everything works out bro
Egh, it could be a false alarm and I might just not be used to it yet. I have to find someone who has a kit and switch cars for two minutes.

Adrian

Old 11-16-2008 | 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by Canadian
If you can stop without engaging ABS, you will stop quicker.
That should be stickied on the top of the brake forum. I am glad I found that out the safe way on a long open road. I slammed the brakes on thinking ABS would stop the car like no other. It was horrible, felt like it was sliding, when you just press them hard enough, you seem to just suck down and stop quicker than you can imagine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I think I Ducked it up! Air in Master Brake Cylinder