Whine when cold on 04 6MT Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ changing mine with Royal Purple 75W-90 this weekend. i'll let you all know when i do.

ALSO: Update from the guy i've been emailing back and forth with about the issue - Got a cold spell here so took the car in last night and had it sit at the dealer overnight. They did some work this morning and were able to replicate the howl. Their best guess after using the stethoscope is a failed output shaft seal. They have ordered the part and will have it in by early next week. I don't have any more details on whether that's the output shaft coming from the rear diff as I only got a voicemail from them early this afternoon. I'll attempt to get more info when i pick the car up. I'll also let you know if this solves the problem.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
Thanks for the reply! Please keep us updated!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by maxuz
^ changing mine with Royal Purple 75W-90 this weekend. i'll let you all know when i do.

ALSO: Update from the guy i've been emailing back and forth with about the issue - Got a cold spell here so took the car in last night and had it sit at the dealer overnight. They did some work this morning and were able to replicate the howl. Their best guess after using the stethoscope is a failed output shaft seal. They have ordered the part and will have it in by early next week. I don't have any more details on whether that's the output shaft coming from the rear diff as I only got a voicemail from them early this afternoon. I'll attempt to get more info when i pick the car up. I'll also let you know if this solves the problem.
Excellent. Looking forward to hearing that. I would love to be able to go into my dealer and tell them what the problem is.

EDIT: I was thinking about this and wonder why it would cause that noise and wouldn't it allow leakage we would notice? I guess maybe we'll know more soon.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:03 AM
i was thinking the same thing. i don't know the area all that well though, maybe it's not sealing fluid, just sealing from the outside world. still, if that were the case, you'd think they'd just be able to tear something down and see it.

who knows. getting the royal purple today and changing the diff fluid out (god willing. theres so much **** to do to get ready for a weekend, it's a miracle i get anything done at all ) tomorrow's high is supposed to be ~30* so i should be able to let everyone know whether it had any effect tomorrow sometime.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:53 PM
after i put my CAI in, mine Whistler's, but only until it warms up

Old 03-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Rated M

^this thread isn't related to the known CAI noise.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:19 AM
there's a known CAI noise too? Grrrr.

Oil change got pushed back a day. Doing it this afternoon. Will know Monday.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:40 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by maxuz
there's a known CAI noise too? Grrrr.

Oil change got pushed back a day. Doing it this afternoon. Will know Monday.
Yeah, don't get one. You'll have both a whistle and a power loss.

Waiting to hear more.....

Old 03-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by RBull
Yeah, don't get one. You'll have both a whistle and a power loss.

Waiting to hear more.....
yea i know there is a known CAI noise, but im talking about something different, when i start my car in the morning when it's cold, it makes a noise like the guy in the first post was describing,

and i'v got no power loss

Old 03-01-2009, 08:26 PM
ok, changed the diff oil today with Mobil1 Sythetic 75W90. don't know if it's going to fix the wine or not, but holy crap the car needed it anyway. it feels like i shed 100+ lbs its so much more willing to go.

also did normal oil and just got to give the car a solid once-over, which i hadn't done since i got it. found couple little dings in it that i didn't notice before, and it was obvious the previous owner had just been taking it to a jiffy-lube or something with random generic oil filters, so that was a little irksome, but i'm nursing her back

it's supposed to get down to 14 tonight, so i'll know about the whistle for sure tomorrow.

on the CAI, mine already came with one unfortunately. i plan on running stock class in autoX this season, so i'm going to have to get the stock intake from a buddy of mine and swap it out in the next couple months.

got this from my other contact after telling him that we'd had a couple people get their transmissions fixed and hadn't been hearing the noise anymore: "Were these auto transmissions or manuals? I had my manual tranny replaced a few years ago under warranty and the problem went away for a short period of time, but then came back." so that doesn't bode well...

i'll let you all know about the noise as soon as i get to work tomorrow.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:26 PM
NOISE

STILL

PRESENT

F********************************.

no change in behavior, frequency, or duration. if anything it lasts a bit longer now.

i'm so over this car. i didn't really even think this was gonna fix it, but it's still f***ng frustrating.

hows everyone else doing?

Old 03-02-2009, 01:53 PM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
This is pretty much only a summer car. My clutch pedal wasn't clicking in the warmer weather last week.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:00 PM
hows everyone else doing?[/QUOTE]

F******************************** doesn't even begin to describe my feelings with the noise.

Did you get the output shaft seal replaced?

Old 03-02-2009, 02:24 PM
that's a contact of mine that's getting his output shaft seal replaced. He's not on the forum so i've been relaying anything useful back and forth whenever it comes across. I heard from him just a couple days ago and he didn't mention it, so i imagine it hasn't happened yet.

seriously though. considering just trading this car in at this point. i'm starting to think that this is just a design flaw that nissan hasn't yet addressed because there hasn't been enough pushing on it. if it gets warm there's no way i'll be able to get it addressed before my warranty runs out. im starting to feel like it's just not worth it.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts
The new trans is in and the noise is gone. I'm pretty happy after driving it today, so far nothing out of the ordinary. The shifter feels a lot tighter and for the record, I believe they put in a redesigned version of the transmission. It ends with 009

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Whine when cold on 04 6MT Coupe