Whine when cold on 04 6MT Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 02:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dtg35
I had the transmission whining noise at cold temperature also back in January 08 when I lived in So Cal.

The noise began a couple of days after I had my oil, coolant, diff fluid, and manual transmission fluid changed at a shop called Oil Stop in Costa Mesa early Jan 08 (the car had 79k miles at the time).

A day or two after I had the work done on my coupe, i started to get the same noise that i see many of you on this thread are having. It was a whistling/whining/howling type noise that only would happen in the morning when the car was cold and when it was cold outside. Once the car warmed up a bit, the noise was gone. There didn't seem to be anything wrong with the way the car was driving, just that annoying noise.

Anyway, i looked at the list of fluids that Oil Stop put in my car, and noticed that they put a 80/90 gl4/gl5 (some kind of multipurpose oil i guess?) manual transmission fluid in my tranny. Those weights didn't match infinity's recommended fluid of 75/90 gl4.

To go into a bit of detail, I finally brought my car back in early March 08 to Oil Stop with some 75/90 gl4 Motul manual transmission fluid I picked up at Autobachs and had them swap the MTF at their cost due to their negligence in putting the wrong fluid in. Motul has a couple options including the gl4/gl5 approved oil, however, i made sure i chose the one that showed ONLY gl4 rated. I didn't want to have anything to do with gl5 in my tranny.

I've never had the whining noise since and that was 20k miles ago! I really think that anyone with this problem might want to try having their transmission fluid changed.. maybe even use the exact MTF that i used. Its worth a try. Just my 2 cents.

Since making the switch to Motul at 79k miles (in 2008), I haven't had the Whistling/whining/howling noises in my transmission.

At 105k in 2009, I did another Motul manual transmission fluid change (Motul 300 75w 90) and I'm currently at 118k miles without any signs of the Whistling/whining/howling noises.

Last edited by dtg35; 01-30-2011 at 02:51 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Over the summer I had switched to Amsoil transmission fluid. It made the whining noise from my transmission much worse.

I recently switched to Nissan OEM transmission fluid. I still get the noise occasionally, but it's not as loud or as often as before. Maybe I will try Motul before next winter.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^this is exactly what I have! good video! at least now we can explain what the sound is like.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Eyes
Over the summer I had switched to Amsoil transmission fluid. It made the whining noise from my transmission much worse.

I recently switched to Nissan OEM transmission fluid. I still get the noise occasionally, but it's not as loud or as often as before. Maybe I will try Motul before next winter.
I put in Motul tranny fluid and also Diff fluid. It doesn't make the sound go away but it did make it a bit quieter than OEM. Maybe it's psychological...

I wouldn't recommend changing it if the fluid is new just because it will not fix the issue.

I tried one thing.

I put my gear in neutral when the noise is heard and it goes away. Hmmm...

Everyone should refer to the video above so we are talking about the same issue

Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 PM
[QUOTE=kidtronix;5677527]I've captured this howling phenomena on video. You'll first hear it at 0:09/0:10 and for both long and short durations throughout the clip.

Great video. That's exactly the noise I had been getting.

Old 02-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I noticed that when the temps get close to freezing or below my car makes this noise as well. I just recently switched to Motul gear/diff oil and the sound occurred after the switch. Im wondering if its due to the Motul fluid just not being completely warmed up. The OEM fluids never let the gears make this type of noise. Once the Motul fluid is warmed up to normal operating temp it definately allows for smoother shifts compared to the OEM stuff.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:10 PM
To all of those posting here with the noise, have you had any clutch/flywheel work done? i.e. replacement, upgrade, removal of some sort?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:49 PM
I'm 99% sure i bought this car (hope your enjoying the STI!) just had the tranny replaced under warranty for the 6-5 grind. I had heard this noise first thing I will listen for it with the new trans and report back if the car is still doing it.

Originally Posted by louielou
Ok, I'm having the same problem as everyone else with this whinny noise until the vehicle warms up. This is the first winter I had this and it didn't start till recently; I had this car for 5 years and it only has 34k on it.

Here is the history of my tranny:
I burnt my clutch out a few years back and had it replace with a stillen clutch (ACT) and lightweight flywheel.

Everything was fine and dandy until I took it to Jiffy lube and had the transmission fluids replaced, radiator fluids replaced, and a oil change. They did not do the differencial as I recall.

Now my car make a wierd noise when I start to drive for the first time in the day. It makes a horny moaning whiny sound or something like that for about a 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile. The distance is never the same. Sounds louder if I roll down the windows. Then completely disapears down the road. My tranny is still shifting smooth and working better than the factory installed clutch and flywheel but this noise it annoying.

This car is almost out the door (i'm done with the G even though its been faithful except with for the crappy factory clutch which smelled like burnt popcorn all the time), but I don't want to trade it with that noise. I see a 2011 WRX STI Hacthy in my horizon.

Just adding my 2 cent to see if it helps toward a definite solution. I will be going to JiffyLube to find out what type of fluid they used.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by kidtronix
As noted above, the forward movement while out of gear no longer exists. That definitely was a transmission issue.

However, the howling noise persisted—so back to the dealership two days ago on 3/29. Had to postpone my original appointment by a week.

Just got a voicemail today. They believe they have isolated the howling noise to the rear differential. While I have not spoken to them personally, based on the voicemail and their prior proactive stance on warranty issues, it sounds like they're replacing it.

More to come.
good luck hope it solves the problems

Old 04-03-2011, 11:51 PM
I also have this exact same problem with my 03 6mt coupe. I just got a few weeks ago and am pretty much experiencing the exact same thing you stated about the transmission. I'm really in no position to replace anything on the car considering i just paid cash for it.

I noticed the whistle right after i brought the car to my local mechanic to have the fluids changed and topped off. I really dont think its that big of a deal considering it goes away and it only occurs on cold mornings when I first start it up.

Good luck with everything and I hope you figure it out !

Old 04-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
[QUOTE=kidtronix;5677527]I've captured this howling phenomena on video. You'll first hear it at 0:09/0:10 and for both long and short durations throughout the clip.

Exact same sound my car is making.
My mechanic just changed my diff & Trans fluid (oem for both) on my 6MT but for the life of me I can't remember if the noise was there prior to fluid change.
He actually buys then oem fluids directly from the local Infiniti dealership.
I will say this that the transition from each gear is a little notchier.
Not as smooth as before the fluid changes.
I get it on cold starts @ around 30-40 mph as stated before,
but it hasn't been really cold out her in SoCal. Around 70 degrees.
I'll try to keep an ear open to see if it goes away and after how long of driving.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:53 PM
i have a 03.5 6mt sedan and i thought it was my throw out bearing. only when its cold out too.

heat shield? hmmm

Old 09-08-2011, 12:10 AM
I have a 2006 G35 sedan with 6M transmission. I took it to the dealer several times during the cold months. Similar symptoms as described in several threads. The mechanic at dealer first could not hear the noise so I left the car overnight in sub-freezing weather and went for a test drive in the morning with the mechanic and low and behold...now they could hear it. They looked into it and never called me back, by the time I got through to them off we were until the next winter. Moral of the story....According to Infiniti, it's normal but I have driven several manual transmission over the years and I do not find it normal. So let's talk about what it may not be: transmission type makes a difference, I have not read any reports of this issue on AT
G35s, if it's something related to rotating parts such as bearings, tires etc. the car warming up should not make a difference. Now I do not believe it may be engine or intake related, warming up the engine does not seem to make a difference since it is by driving it for a few minutes that the sound goes away. My suspicion is in that it the problem may be in the differential, I heard in some threads that by going to synthetic fluid the problem appears to go away but the issue here is that Infiniti does not recomend synthetic differential fluid and that may void any potential warranty. It is possible that the fluid used in the differential may be of a heavier weight which may tend to congele in sub-freezing weather but once the gears start turning and the fluid heats up the issue goes away. This is strictly an educated guess since I have not been able to confirm this and I have yet to be bold enough to try replacing the differential fluid. I just learned to deal with the annoyance although my biggest concern has been about the potential lack of proper lubrication to the differential while the fluid is still thick. I still love the car inspite of its quirckiness, the dealer...well that is another story. I forgot to mention that I finally got a hold of the area manager and I was told by her that this condition was normal.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by edrag1
I have a 2006 G35 sedan with 6M transmission. I took it to the dealer several times during the cold months. Similar symptoms as described in several threads. The mechanic at dealer first could not hear the noise so I left the car overnight in sub-freezing weather and went for a test drive in the morning with the mechanic and low and behold...now they could hear it. They looked into it and never called me back, by the time I got through to them off we were until the next winter. Moral of the story....According to Infiniti, it's normal but I have driven several manual transmission over the years and I do not find it normal. So let's talk about what it may not be: transmission type makes a difference, I have not read any reports of this issue on AT
G35s, if it's something related to rotating parts such as bearings, tires etc. the car warming up should not make a difference. Now I do not believe it may be engine or intake related, warming up the engine does not seem to make a difference since it is by driving it for a few minutes that the sound goes away. My suspicion is in that it the problem may be in the differential, I heard in some threads that by going to synthetic fluid the problem appears to go away but the issue here is that Infiniti does not recomend synthetic differential fluid and that may void any potential warranty. It is possible that the fluid used in the differential may be of a heavier weight which may tend to congele in sub-freezing weather but once the gears start turning and the fluid heats up the issue goes away. This is strictly an educated guess since I have not been able to confirm this and I have yet to be bold enough to try replacing the differential fluid. I just learned to deal with the annoyance although my biggest concern has been about the potential lack of proper lubrication to the differential while the fluid is still thick. I still love the car inspite of its quirckiness, the dealer...well that is another story. I forgot to mention that I finally got a hold of the area manager and I was told by her that this condition was normal.
For me going to synthetic (Amsoil) for the transmission and differential seemed to make the the whine worse.

I don't think there should be any warranty issues if you go synthetic for the differential as long as you use the appropriate weight oil. The only issues I have heard for warranty issues is using non-Nissan transmission oil on the Automatics.