Sedan - when did you replace rear brakes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sedan - when did you replace rear brakes?

i have a 04 with 53k and i just replaced the rear rotors and pads. i have already replaced fronts before. that seem about right? he said i needed it, it was getting thin

Old 02-25-2009, 01:46 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Not unusual. Remember the VDC operates by activating the rear brakes. So rear wear is not dictaticed by amount of brake activation via the brake pedal.

But I have 60,000 and my rear pads looked worn. But I went ahead and put 06 Z brakes all around.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
not bad at all if those were the original pads and rotors in the rears, but likely you were on the second pair of pads at least.

Not uncommon for the fronts to outlast the rear, mine did. I resurfaced my original rears at 36K miles. Have 43K now on original fronts and still have some decent pad left.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my rear pads were worn down to the backing plate. fronts had at least another 7.5k-10k miles left in them. I'm at 62k but thought i change them out (including rotors) anyway due to pulsing ("warped") feel.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
normal. I Just replaced my rotors and pads at 61k

Old 02-25-2009, 06:13 PM
re : "the VDC operates by activating the rear brakes" Can you explain how that works ?

I didn't know that. So if my VDC comes on a lot I will have to replace my back brakes before my front brakes? Makes sense.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 Sedan: replaced rear pads at 30K and they were thin.
fronts are OK, but going to turn the rotors and replace pads this weekend to hopefully get rid of the pulsating.
The sedan has never been run hard and I keep my wheels torqued to specs.
G35 brakes SUCK!!! (at least mine does)
But, rest of the car is

Old 02-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by SVTCOBRA
05 Sedan: replaced rear pads at 30K and they were thin.
fronts are OK, but going to turn the rotors and replace pads this weekend to hopefully get rid of the pulsating.
The sedan has never been run hard and I keep my wheels torqued to specs.
G35 brakes SUCK!!! (at least mine does)
But, rest of the car is
actually g35 brakes are one of the best in business. The braking power is unheard of for a car in the price category. Just remember the most powerful the brakes the more they wear out

Old 02-25-2009, 07:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have an 04x with 53k and just had the front/rear brake pads and front rotors replaced. The back rotors were resurfaced instead of replaced.

After having all this fixed, I cannot believe how powerful these brakes are (especially for a sedan)!

Old 02-26-2009, 10:56 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
the brakes on our cars are very good for a sports sedan. Only downside is the increased wear.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Received 121 Likes on 113 Posts
My front brakes dust like crazy, the rotors are made in China so I'm sure that doesn't help. I'm using OEM break pads, Chinese rotors, and brand new shim kits. Anything I can do?

Old 02-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Back wearing faster than the front? I find that REALLY hard to believe. Most of the braking force comes from the front brakes, not the rear. This is true for almost EVERY car in existence. When you brake, all your momentum shifts towards the front of the car, making the front brakes work harder than the front. This is also why almost every car has larger front brakes compared to the rear.

I'm right around 50k, fronts need replacing soonish (on second set of pads) and rears still have plenty of pad left (also second set).

The VDC only working the rear brakes is only partially true. The traction control part of it this is true, but not true for the stability control. See below from the service manual:

TCS Function AFS0003Z
1. VDC/TCS/ABS control unit detects a spin at drive wheels by comparing wheel speed signals from all 4
wheels. At this time, output from control unit controls brake fluid pressure to both LH and RH rear wheels
while cutting fuel to engine and closing throttle valve to reduce engine torque. Furthermore, throttle position
is continuously controlled to insure appropriate engine torque at all times.
2. Depending on road circumstances, driver may have a sluggish feel. This is normal, because optimum
traction has highest priority under TCS operation.
3. When vehicle is passing through a road where surface friction coefficient varies, downshifting or depressing
accelerator pedal fully may activate TCS temporarily.
4. During TCS operation, it informs driver of system operation by flashing SLIP indicator lamp.
VDC Function AFS00040
1. In addition to TCS/ABS function, VDC detects driver's steering operation amount and brake pedal travel
from steering angle sensor and pressure sensor. Using information from yaw rate/side G-sensor and
wheel sensor, VDC judges driving condition (conditions of under steer and over steer) to improve stability
by controlling brake application to 4 wheels and engine output.
2. SLIP indicator lamp flashes to inform driver of VDC operation.
3. During VDC operation, body and brake pedal lightly vibrate and mechanical noises may be heard. This is
normal.
4. If vehicle is rotated on turn table, or rolled and rocked on ship, ABS warning lamp, VDC OFF indicator
lamp, and SLIP indicator lamp may turn on. In this case, start engine on normal road again. If ABS warning
lamp, VDC OFF indicator lamp, and SLIP indicator lamp turn off after restart, it is normal.
5. When driving in steep slope such as bank, ABS warning lamp, VDC OFF indicator lamp, and SLIP indicator
lamp may turn on. In this case, start engine on normal road again. If ABS warning lamp, VDC OFF indicator
lamp, and SLIP indicator lamp turn off after restart, it is normal.

Old 02-26-2009, 12:09 PM
I'm at 37k and my rear brakes are just about ready for pad replacement. I'll get it done during my next service at 40k. Apparently my front brakes are still fine.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:35 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm impressed yours are lasting that long!

Old 02-26-2009, 01:39 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
IMHO, in order for our Gs to get the world class braking, the rears are much more involved with the braking process than in previous nissans/infinitis. Thus accelerating it's wear. IMHO of course.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sedan - when did you replace rear brakes?