best steps to make a good handling car??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Wouldn't the need for camber correction be dependant on how low you set your coilovers?
Yes and no. I would say it depends on how much camber you want to run. Otherwise, I'd be more worried about toe.

And what exactly makes one set of sway bars superior to another? Most have overlapping setting across their adjustments to negate that line of reasoning so.... what's the reason again?
Quality, thickness, adjustablility, density?

Old 03-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Actually he said we had LSD. I'm sure he's aware that it's a VLSD with a power transfer of about 20-30%. He didn't mention the total amount being transfered, only that it was. And his statement is still true and valid.

I don't see how his explaination is contrary to the definition of how our VLSD works:

Viscous

S13 Viscous LSDThe viscous type is generally simpler because it relies on hydrodynamic friction from fluids with high viscosity. Silicone-based oils are often used. Here, a cylindrical chamber of fluid filled with a stack of perforated discs rotates with the normal motion of the output shafts. The inside surface of the chamber is coupled to one of the driveshafts, and the outside coupled to the differential carrier. Half of the discs are connected to the inner, the other half to the outer, alternating inner/outer in the stack. Differential motion forces the interleaved discs to move through the fluid against each other. In some viscous couplings when speed is maintained the fluid will accumulate heat due to friction. This heat will cause the fluid to expand, and expand the coupler causing the discs to be pulled together resulting in a non-viscous plate to plate friction and a dramatic drop in speed difference. This is known as the hump phenomenon and it allows the side of the coupler to gently lock.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:51 PM
Actually he said we had LSD. I'm sure he's aware that it's a VLSD with a power transfer of about 20-30%. He didn't mention the total amount being transfered, only that it was. And his statement is still true and valid.

I don't see how his explaination is contrary to the definition of how our VLSD works:
And your post shows what? Our VLSD doesn't kick in unless you've lost traction... that doesn't necessarily help your car go through turns faster... it helps keeps your car pointed in the correct direction once you've f'd up. If you rely on your vlsd that much, I think it's time for you to start learning how to drive.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:08 PM
Red Card Crew

Please inform all of us how the VLSD isn't a "true" LSD in technical terms. I've posted the technical definition of VLSD above.

If it doesn't "necessarily" help, please definate that more clearly.

I wonder why Infinti decided to put offer the LSD option in their sports tuned versions? That's an expensive marketing ploy if it's just for straight line traction (given that the G35 is marketed/designed to square off with the then reigning handling benchmark for it's class, the 330i (which also offers a VLSD type differential)

Nissan did reconize the limitations of the VLSD and went with a Torsen type. At least for the new maximas they did.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:16 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think any BMW was offered with LSD in any year except the M models.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Red Card Crew

You might be correct. I think I read a comparision of a LSD equipped G to a bmw. The article stated that lack of a LSD in the BMW hindered it's sporty driving ability. And it was a non M being used for the article. (but a G35 sport was used)

Old 03-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Please inform all of us how the VLSD isn't a "true" LSD in technical terms. I've posted the technical definition of VLSD above.

If it doesn't "necessarily" help, please definate that more clearly.

I wonder why Infinti decided to put offer the LSD option in their sports tuned versions? That's an expensive marketing ploy if it's just for straight line traction (given that the G35 is marketed/designed to square off with the then reigning handling benchmark for it's class, the 330i (which also offers a VLSD type differential)

Nissan did reconize the limitations of the VLSD and went with a Torsen type. At least for the new maximas they did.
Either way, despite your argument about how LSDs work and what not, the entire point is to keep proper traction throughout the turns, so what type of LSD, etc... does not matter.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by dofu
Either way, despite your argument about how LSDs work and what not, the entire point is to keep proper traction throughout the turns, so what type of LSD, etc... does not matter.
And Nissan/Infiniti's VLSD doesn't accomplish this? Especially in the spirit of the other gentlemen's reply? If you are now lumping all LSD type differentials together and stating they have the "point" of keeping proper traction thoughout the turn, wouldn't that be more to the side of agreeing with me vs not agreeing?

Old 03-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
And Nissan/Infiniti's VLSD doesn't accomplish this? Especially in the spirit of the other gentlemen's reply? If you are now lumping all LSD type differentials together and stating they have the "point" of keeping proper traction thoughout the turn, wouldn't that be more to the side of agreeing with me vs not agreeing?
VLSD becomes open diff after certain miles of hard driving.... Mechanical doesn't but it does require maintenance, hence the reason it is only available on serious sports cars.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by Klubbheads
VLSD becomes open diff after certain miles of hard driving.... Mechanical doesn't but it does require maintenance, hence the reason it is only
Actually I believe a clutch type will eventually operate like an open diff when the clutches wear out. But we aren't necessarily talking about the pros/cons of each type's operation.

Last edited by Jeff92se; 03-20-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
i love these threads ..

soooo much information ...........

that i have to write it all down to remember it ..

thanks guys you all rock !!!!

this is why i log onto g35driver everyday ...

:clap:

Old 03-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ +1!!

Old 03-21-2009, 08:44 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
All I know is, with what I have done so far, I have improved my car a bunch. I have the most neutral stance through a corner as any car I have ever owned, including my mid engine Fiat X 1/9 which is about the best handling car you can find for the money (just no power )

Old 03-21-2009, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
including my mid engine Fiat X 1/9 which is about the best handling car you can find for the money (just no power )
Boost it for a quick fix!

Old 03-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fudge. you guys must be auto cross legends.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: best steps to make a good handling car??