Rear klumping noise, compression rods?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:25 AM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Rear klumping noise, compression rods?

For the last month or so I have been getting a klumping noise from what sounds the rear passenger wheel well area of the car when going over bumps (but possibly sometimes from the front passenger side as well). This past weekend I brought it to the dealer and they said it was possibly the rear endlinks, well they replaced them but I am still experiencing the noise. So instead of wasting more money while the dealer plays trial and error to isolate the noise I figure I would turn to the collective knowledge on the board.

I've pushed down on each corner of the car and it seems pretty stiff and don't I feel any bouncing when going over bumps, so is it safe to assume that its not the shocks?

I have read through about 20 pages regarding compression rods, but most seem to point to front suspension and there is some confusion whether the noise is a creaking or a klumping noise.

1. Does this compression rod issue apply to the rear as well?

2. If it is the compression rods should I get both sides replaced at the same time?

3. I am in Canada the land of expensive parts, which online site should I order from to get the best price.

Thanks guys,

Old 03-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts
i have the same noise also, my friend works at a nissan dealership and got the car on a lift and look to see if we can find the source. we had no luck, he thinks it may be me exhust moving around, i want to check the bearings in a few weeks when i get the time.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Check your sway bar end links as well.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwilly
For the last month or so I have been getting a klumping noise from what sounds the rear passenger wheel well area of the car when going over bumps (but possibly sometimes from the front passenger side as well). This past weekend I brought it to the dealer and they said it was possibly the rear endlinks, well they replaced them but I am still experiencing the noise. So instead of wasting more money while the dealer plays trial and error to isolate the noise I figure I would turn to the collective knowledge on the board.

I've pushed down on each corner of the car and it seems pretty stiff and don't I feel any bouncing when going over bumps, so is it safe to assume that its not the shocks?

I have read through about 20 pages regarding compression rods, but most seem to point to front suspension and there is some confusion whether the noise is a creaking or a klumping noise.

1. Does this compression rod issue apply to the rear as well?

2. If it is the compression rods should I get both sides replaced at the same time?

3. I am in Canada the land of expensive parts, which online site should I order from to get the best price.

Thanks guys,
1. No
2. No, drivers usually goes first.
3. Don't order anything until issue is properly diagnosed. The front sound is quite possibly the compression rod but not likely the rear. Both front and rear end links can make a similar sound.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah I was just going over the service manuals again, and after speaking with some people I now realize that there is no compression rods in the rear. So having driven the car around today, I am finding it is difficult to pin point if its coming from the front or the rear. I am leaning towards the front now.
Maybe rear noise has gone away after the new endlinks were installed on the weekend.
I've sprayed some silicone lube on the rubber / plastic bushings in the front suspension and there seems to be less noise. I'm going to have to drive it around some more to be certain.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:26 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I think you're right about the front. G/L

My compression rods are good but sporadically I get some noise over speed bumps that seem to be from my sway bushings. It could be the end links. Apparently the '05+ ones are beefier.