Any one replace their lower ball joints?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:16 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Any one replace their lower ball joints?

I just had my compression rods replaced.
The guy who did the work pointed out that
both my lower ball joints were leaking and
probably need replacing. Has anyone had this
done to their G35? How much should I expect to pay?

The following 2 users liked this post by cato:
Dennis Donald (12-06-2020), Fastmodz (08-03-2017)
Old 07-07-2009, 11:05 AM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Mine are both torn as well...would have to find a replacement and have it pressed in. My searches have come up dry as far as a replacement piece by itself.

The following users liked this post:
Fastmodz (08-03-2017)
Old 07-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought my new compression rods and they came with ball joints. I also installed them myself, not to hard of a job.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ same here... Its not that hard. The only hicup is that you gotta take off the whole cross bar underneath in order to take off the compression rod. Still maybe an hour worth of work if you do it right. No big deal.

My searches have come up dry as far as a replacement piece by itself.
riverside infiniti - talk to tony, or search your local junkyards as they will probably give you a good price on used stuff.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by lionhb26
^^^ same here... Its not that hard. The only hicup is that you gotta take off the whole cross bar underneath in order to take off the compression rod. Still maybe an hour worth of work if you do it right. No big deal.

riverside infiniti - talk to tony, or search your local junkyards as they will probably give you a good price on used stuff.
Yea. I was like..crap...i gotta take this cross brace off just to get the compression rods off. And that thing isn't lite either. Lol

To the op, I would just buy new compression rods, got both mine shipped for about $427.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:10 PM
my driver side lower ball joint is torn as well. not the compression rod joints but the lower control arm ball joint that connects to the knuckle. still dont' know what to do about it. it's making alot of noise turning.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:17 AM
My G35 AWD front end is riding metal to metal sounds like it is ready to fall apart. I'm told by the dealer it's the compression rods. THey want $800 to replace. Anyone know where I can get the rods aftermarket. My from wheel bearing is also gone and I am looking for aftermarket bearing and hub assembly. Can't find the parts? Can anyone help? Bob

Old 07-12-2009, 04:04 PM
SPL parts is making a set of "solid" aluminum bushing for the front lower arm. Bit expensive, but excellent quality.

Last edited by mesias; 07-13-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Mesias, are those for where it attaches to the car or where the control arm attaches to the spindle/knuckle? it seems like the lower ball joint that is attached to the knuckle on my car is the one that is torn. but i can't seem to find just that ball joint. i believe it's called a king pin or something.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:20 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fast04G
Yea. I was like..crap...i gotta take this cross brace off just to get the compression rods off. And that thing isn't lite either. Lol

To the op, I would just buy new compression rods, got both mine shipped for about $427.
I did replace the compression rods with new ones. The lower ball joint I am referring to is not part of the compression rod. It sits underneath.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:49 AM
My bad... these are for the front lower arm not for the compression rods. Sorry about the confusion.

Riverside Infiniti sells in Ebay the revised bushing that attach the compression rod to the chassis but it says that the ball joint it's not sold separately. It only comes with the whole compression rod. Still, I'm sure I saw a thread here where someone posted the part numbers for the bushing and the ball joint. I'll look for it later and I'll post them here.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:56 AM
The only lower ball joint I see is from the compression rod:

Old 07-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by bpoltzer
My G35 AWD front end is riding metal to metal sounds like it is ready to fall apart. I'm told by the dealer it's the compression rods. THey want $800 to replace. Anyone know where I can get the rods aftermarket. My from wheel bearing is also gone and I am looking for aftermarket bearing and hub assembly. Can't find the parts? Can anyone help? Bob
Yo man... I looked and looked and looked for aftermarket suspension parts when I tore up my suspension and you aren't gonna find upgraded hub assemblys or comp rods. Really the only performance/upgrades you are gonna find is an adjustable upper a-arm, struts/shocks, and bushings.. so your only good option is to find the oem or junkyard parts somewhere

However if you do wanna save some money, just replace the parts yourself... I did it with the help of a friend and it took like 6 hours to do the complete passenger front suspension (knuckle, comp rod, lower control arm, shock/strut, hub, brakes, and the tie rod).. so only doing the comp rods and hub might take 3 hours... if you take a lunch break haha

Last edited by lionhb26; 07-14-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by mesias
Riverside Infiniti sells in Ebay the revised bushing that attach the compression rod to the chassis but it says that the ball joint it's not sold separately. It only comes with the whole compression rod. Still, I'm sure I saw a thread here where someone posted the part numbers for the bushing and the ball joint. I'll look for it later and I'll post them here.
bought mine from riverside and it looks exactly like your picture... install was easy if you just follow common sense and the service manual's torque settings

Old 07-14-2009, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by mesias
this picture

The following users liked this post:
demented (06-09-2015)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Any one replace their lower ball joints?