Front strut bar = more understeer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front strut bar = more understeer?

Doesn't front strut bar increase understeer because it only tightens a car's front?
Or does it only tighten chasis of a car so it would not affect the steering characteristics of a car?

Old 12-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
strut bar's only help rigidity of the vehicle. Understeer and oversteer are changed by sway bars.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:32 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
The front strut bar should only affect response, but the Relentless front strut bar seems to give the car a bit of oversteer. It's the front sway bar that gives you more understeer.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:03 AM
Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts
G35 Coupe
well logically, if the front strut bar improves the grip in the front of the car (as it should, otherwise money wasted) , then the balance of the car should be altered. The front will gain mechanical grip within corners while the rear will remain the same and I would think this would create an illusion of more oversteer. I say illusion because your not loosing grip in the back which would create the usual effects of oversteer, but simply gaining grip in the front.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm. if tightening front provides more grip, and give more tendency to oversteer(because front grip is strengthened),

why is strengthning rear springs give oversteer too? it should give understeer if more grip is added to the rear.

I thought strenthened side would have less grip, but it is confusing.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:06 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Row2k
well logically, if the front strut bar improves the grip in the front of the car (as it should, otherwise money wasted) , then the balance of the car should be altered. The front will gain mechanical grip within corners while the rear will remain the same and I would think this would create an illusion of more oversteer. I say illusion because your not loosing grip in the back which would create the usual effects of oversteer, but simply gaining grip in the front.
In a car that's stock or even mildly modded, this may be the case. But the strut bar I have is a bit different than your average two point, although it's not a three point either. And my suspension, chassis, and steering is no where close to stock either... maybe it's the combination of everything that makes the front strut bar a bit overkill, but I'm thinking I need to tighten the rear with a rear strut bar too if I'm going to use it. Let's put it this way, I would have changed the bushings too if they weren't so damn expensive and painful to do.

Originally Posted by hyunkoon
hmmm. if tightening front provides more grip, and give more tendency to oversteer(because front grip is strengthened),

why is strengthning rear springs give oversteer too? it should give understeer if more grip is added to the rear.

I thought strenthened side would have less grip, but it is confusing.
Springs, technically, do nothing for more traction. What stiffer springs can do is eliminate some sway, like using a bigger sway bar. So what it does at most is change the energy transfer, changing which side gets more traction, as you go into a turn. Standard strut bars don't tighten the chassis at all. What they do is hold the movement of the top of the struts together, so I can see where a lot of people feel it's tightening the front of the car. In a sense, you are getting a bit better traction, but it's more for better response in my eyes. Now if you have a three point I can see how it's actually tightening the front of the car, if not at least fender braces to go with it, which would be the alternative to a three point strut bar (and having fender braces with a three point strut bar would be more than a bit overkill in many people's eyes).

Last edited by dofu; 12-02-2009 at 02:17 AM.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The reason for a front strut bar is to minimize the tiny camber changes caused by the bending/flexing of shock tower metal which adds negative camber so depending on the exact point in camber curve it could add or subtract the natural understeer built in to system.

Easy to measure the bending forces absorbed by bar..........just put an electronic stress gauge between bar and mount and drive to peak G.

Lot's of testimonials to sell products but few actually PROVE the bend moments.

http://team99ers.2.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=702

The heavier the front the more the force 333>500 pounds and the greater the spread distance 0.2"> ?.