Bad wheel bearing or ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad wheel bearing or ?

First post here, looking for some help. My wife drives an 04 G35x, currently 115k on it. I rarely drive it, so getting any detailed info about potential problems is difficult. A couple weeks ago we drove the car from VA to SC and I did all the driving. The problem I found is the left front tire is really loud, none of the tires are quite, but the left front is terrible. I also noticed a pulsating sound from that tire when braking, and I noticed the brakes vibrated on high speed braking. Tires are 6 months old with little wear and look to be wearing evenly with no noticable feathering. For reference, on the highway this thing is as loud as my Dodge hunting rig with 35" mud terrains.

Today I replaced the rotors and put new pads on to fix that problem. . Took it out for a quick run to seat the pads, did a few 30mph stops and everything was fine, then aproaching a corner I experience really bad brake fade and drove right past my turn. Brought it home and pulled it back into the garage and the brakes where extremely hot.

While letting it cool down I put the spare on the left front to rule out the tire being the culprit for the noise, after 30 minutes or so I took it back out and brakes worked fine although I didn't push it. I could still hear the pulsating sound coming from the left front when coming to a stop.

Pulled it back in the garage and this time the left front was very hot but right side was ok, warm but not sizzling when I spit on the rotor like the left.

I checked the bearing for play when I got back from the SC trip, and again today when I had it apart, no play at all in the bearing. Hard to tell if there is any roughness in them because the axle is attached and when you turn it your turning the axle.

The old brake pads where evenly worn, so I don't think it's a caliper problem.

I'm thinking wheel bearing even though theres no play.

What do you guys think?

Old 03-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
My coupe started making this vibrating pulsing sound when making slight turns at speeds 45+ mph. The sound is also noticeable during deceleration. A shop informed me they are about 90% sure it is the front wheel bearings. I will be replacing them myself so I don't know for sure yet if that is the problem. I know the sound the car makes from tire feathering and decelerating and it is not the same as this. Like you said, its more of a pulsating sound. To really test the bearings you will need to remove the wheel and/or even the brake calipers and start pulling at the hub assembly to see if there is any play. Also you can rotate the assembly and listen carefully for grinding. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2010, 09:37 AM
I pulled the hub yesterday, in fact pulled the entire spindle since the hub would not come loose. I ended up having to press the hub out of the spindle. There is no play in the bearing, but it is very tight and I can feel a slight bit of roughness in it so I'm replacing it today. I called the Infiniti dealer and the hub and bearing are seperate parts on the X, so I pressed the bearing out this morning and will head across town for parts shortly.

Anyone no where I can find part numbers? I think the bearing is the same as a rear 350z bearing, and with part numbers the Nissan dealer can cross reference. Nissan dealer is 15 minutes away, Infiniti close to an hour.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:26 AM
The rear bearing is the same for the G35 coupe and sedan as well as the 350z. As for the front I think you need a different bearing only made for the G35 AWD Sedans. But I'm not 100% sure on that. Call infiniti dealership and ask for the part number on their front wheel bearing for the AWD sedan.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:55 PM
I got the part from the Infinity dealer this morning and then called the Nissan dealer for reference, they didn't have the part # in their system.

I got the front end back together and problem is solved, when I pressed the bearing out of the hub the race came apart and there was a spot on it that was all chewed up. Not really sure how it would get chewed up on one side only, but that was the case and noise is now gone.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:05 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
When was the last time you changed your shocks/struts?

for your parts number reference look in here http://www.infinitipartsonline.com/

and to purchase actual part contact one of the riverside guys. They got the best prices (most of the time) http://www.riversideinfiniti.com/j/i...rtsCenter.html Rick or Tony will able to help you out.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:04 AM
Originally Posted by JOKER
When was the last time you changed your shocks/struts?
They are original

Old 04-12-2010, 09:38 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
having the same problem. tking it to the dealer for warranty claim.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Dealer told me heelllll naaahhh when they saw I was lowered...and I have wheel spacers lol

Old 04-13-2010, 12:00 AM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
lol, im at stock height and switched back to my oem winter wheels.
all rdy for dealer.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:08 AM
O yeah thought I would update everyone. I swapped out my bearings last week and solved the problem! car feels better than ever!

for reference:
http://www.my350z.com/forum/brakes-a...nt-how-to.html