Anyone know what this is? Fell off my G35 Coupe Rear Brakes....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know what this is? Fell off my G35 Coupe Rear Brakes....

Anyone know what this piece is (pic attached)? It feel out of the bottom of my driver's side rear brake/parking brake mechanism on my 03 G35 Coupe 6MT as I was turning the axle (wheel off). I've got no clue what it is, what it does, or how to put it back on. The story is below, for those who care or just want to laugh at me.

Alright, so I had a major brain fart and forgot to snug down the rear lug nuts on the driver's side of my G35 Coupe when I was checking fitment on some new rims a few weeks ago. So yesterday I'm driving along at around 50mph and I hear a thud-thud-thud and feel a wobble. I pull over thinking that it's a flat only to find that my rear tire is cambered out like 20 degrees, with 4 of the 5 studs snapped off.

I decided that I wasn't going to pay the $120 that they wanted to tow my car 1.5 miles back to my house, so I went about fixing it in the church parking lot where I had pulled over. I got a ride up to O'Rileys and got 5 new studs (the 5th one broke as I was trying to remove it). Pulled off the tire, brake caliper and rotor. Drove the broken studs out with a hammer and put the new ones in place.

Now to seat the new studs, it is my understanding that the head needs to be flush with the back side of the hub. I put a lug nut on and used the lug nut wrench to tighten it down. The head of the stud was moving into the hub, but it wasn't fully seated yet. I gave the wrench a little more torque, and then it stripped. I thought I'd stripped the stud, so I tried to grab the head with channel locks, but there wasn't enough "meat" to grab. So with the lug nut stuck on, I had to use a hacksaw and cut it off. No fun.

I go back and buy an extra stud and put it back in. Put on a nut, this time, and as it sinking into the hub, it starts to turn again. It's at this point that I realize that it's not the stud that has stripped, but the HUB. I was able to back the nut off and figured I'd just get the car home on 4 studs.

Here's a second question though......

I put the nut on the other 4 studs and tightened them a little by hand to ensure that I could get the wheel on, but they're not fullly seated, meaning that the heads of the studs are not flush with the back side of the hub. I was afraid of stripping another one! So how do I go about properly seating the new studs without stripping out the hub again? A slide hammer?

I think I'm going to have that 5th stud welded back into place, unless someone else has another option for replacing the splines in the hub so that they'll grab a stud again? Like a helicoil or something???

Long story over....but now I'm rolling on 4 (semi-seated) studs and I've got this little bracket that I don't know where/how to put back.

So....anyone know what that bracket is or have any advice on the wheel studs for me??

Thanks.

- BigJason

Attached Thumbnails Anyone know what this is?  Fell off my G35 Coupe Rear Brakes....-g35-brake-bracket.jpg  
Old 04-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
that looks like its the spacer/bracket for the EM brake cable

Let me see if I'm able to find you pictures

Old 04-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That would be extremely helpful! Thanks!

- BigJason

Old 04-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
Old 09-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
^ thanks, will help me when u adjust my e-breaks

Old 09-26-2011, 12:01 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 239 Likes on 159 Posts
That little bracket falls off when you spin the axle/wheel without the stud fully seated.. it hits it.. it's common (especially on 350z forum) after people install extended studs. You'll need to pull the rear rotor to put it back.

Studs.. okay a good trick.. is to get any extra rotors and use those as "Washers".

So example:

Hub -> Rotor -> Rotor -> Wheel...

or if your wheel design is not really friendly for doing this..

Hub -> Rotor -> Rotor -> Rotor-> etc..

Use an impact gun and lug nut to 'pull' the stud into place..

If anyone has any questions let me know but that explanation should help since the OPs already taken and attempted the repair before.