Sick of squeal ready to smash car with bat!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sick of squeal ready to smash car with bat!!!!

Ive already spent about $1000 on the brakes of my 03 coupe and I have just about had it! so much money and the problem is still there I would have rather gave the money to some random bum, seriously what gives??

I have read an re read everything with search and research and it seems that 03-04 g's are made whit this permanent defect, resurfacing rotors, buying thermo quiet ceramic pads, and lubing the crap out of the shims tamed the problem temporarily but it quickly came back and now I am foaming at the mouth.

I could live with it if it was normal squeak but the thing is embarrassingly loud an annoying, this car should not sound like this period. Im so frustrated that I am considering trading my beloved G for a diffrent car.

My last and only hope is to upgrade to 2005 G35 OEM calipers/rotors/pads but before I even waste more money I want some helpful people to let me know if this is the route to take to finally solve this problem?

Old 08-17-2010, 07:58 PM
I had the same problem and I resurfaced my rotors and changed my brake pads which did nothing. Finally I decided to just buy a new set of rotors and the squealing went away for good. This has happened to me on multiple cars with the latest being my g35. New rotors has been the only consistent fix for me.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
resurfacing the rotors didn't work for you? i had the same problem when i just changed my brake pads 3 weeks ago.the dealership told me its because i didn't resurface my rotors.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How did you spend $1000 on the brakes? And by that i mean what parts did you buy?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe he had the brembos and top of the line stuff.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I doubt he had brembo's since hes talking about upgrading to 2 piston fronts. Sounds like the OP overpaid.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh ok.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:13 PM
True I do not have brembos, I purchased two new aftermarket rotors for my rear, 2 sets of aftermarket pads, labor time at brake check cost an estimate of $1000 in numerous trips to fix a simple squeak. On my third visit I was pissed and stood in front of the mechanics and made them explain the whole labor process to me as I overlooked them at some point I got really desperate and they took advantage of that as I was to blind and angry with the squeak I finally agreed to resurface the rotors, lube up the shims really good(I made sure) and install a fresh pair of front pads(thermoquiet) needless to say the squeak went away for two months and I was happy but now it came back and its frustrating.

I will try purchasing new rotors as the fronts are OEM and I suspect there the culprit can anyone recommend some decent good quality ones?

Old 08-22-2010, 07:43 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
My breaks are squealing too. Previously, my car was making an annoyingly loud squeal every time I brake. I replaced the pads today with brand new OEM ones, and I can still hear a very faint squeal. When I examined the old pads, I noticed they were barely worn down compared to the new ones, the wear indicator on the pads could have never touched the rotors. Could not find anything on the calipers that seemed to be making the noise either, WTF?

I have an 06 coupe.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:20 PM
I decided to purchase some copper anti seize lube and apply it myself after reading this

Guys and Girls,

Here's the final word on brake squeal!!

Get a can of copper-based anti-seize lubricant. I believe Loc-tite makes some. Take your pads off and brush some on the backs of the pads and anywhere the pad contacts the caliper.

Just make sure you don't get any of the grease on your rotors or the face of the pads!

The "metal-based" grease absorbs the minor pad vibrations that lead to that annoying squeal.

The stuff works wonders for about 20,000 miles before repeated washing of the calipers begins to wear it off. The you can just apply some more.

By the way, most quality brake jobs include the application of some type of high-temp lubricant to the back of the pads. The only draw back is that these lubricants wash off or wear quickly.

Copper lube is better because it lasts longer. You'll know once you get some on your fingers!

Take care and good luck.
I remember last time I took the car to the shop I made sure they lubed it real good and the squeak went away for 3 months(the longest ever in my ownership) but the stuff they used did not last long and with further inspection figured out they did not let it dry to the touch behind the pads rendering the lube pretty much useless, when the caliper pressed on to the pads the lube spilled out and you could tell the stuff was just not going to absorb vibrations in the long run.

So when the copper lube I ordered arrives I will clean the brakes myself and reinstall everything properly. I am pretty much sure this will fix the squeak problem so I will report back herrschaft and let you know if this works believe me I know the stress with this car squeaking its

Old 08-23-2010, 12:11 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
^Thats the first I've heard of that, I'll buy some generic brand tomorrow and see how it works. Thanks

Old 08-23-2010, 06:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've always used a compound called Disk Brake Quiet which I think is made by CRC. It's an Orange color and comes in a small clear plastic dispensing bottle. It's meant to coat the back of the pads and shims where they contact the brake piston. To my knowledge it doesn't wear off.

Have used it on all my cars and never had the squeaks.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:42 PM
UPDATE:

Spent all day today cleaning both front brakes and calipers then I carefully applied copper slip lube where needed. I am now extremely happy to report that the squeak has went away

Now that I know how to fix it I will use this knowledge for the rest of my life.

Hope this helps anyone looking to get rid of that annoying squeal and those thinking new rotors and pads will cure it think again all you need is a bottle of $10 copper anti seize lube and your set!

Old 08-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
^ Let us know how it holds up after 2 months.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by jibberjabbers
^ Let us know how it holds up after 2 months.
Will do but i'm thinking copperslip will hold alot longer then the previous stuff that was applied, guess well see.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sick of squeal ready to smash car with bat!!!!