HELP: 350z vs G35 tokico hp's (blue)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 12:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HELP: 350z vs G35 tokico hp's (blue)

Hey, everyone. I plan on buying a set of tokico HP's soon and was wondering if there was any real differences between the 350z & G35 struts seeing as they have different part numbers. I imagine the 350z would be the shorter of the two but are there any other differences?

I think it might be a better choice if I got the 350z struts since I have 350z revised springs on my G but I would like to hear what everyone else has to say first. ( I dont want D specs, at that price i'd rather just save up a lil more and get coilovers)

2004 G35 coupe w/ 18" wheel package.

Thanks for any help guys!

Old 02-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 127 Likes on 105 Posts
^ Think Joker had a thread on Tokico HP's awhile back. Don't remember if he went with 350z or G35 ones.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:10 AM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
I opted for the Z's because I was on z suspension. They work great and I have no complaints. I am going a little lower this week (1.5" F and 1.1" R) so I will see how they react. I think it will be good since im only going 1/2" lower than a stock z.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:37 AM
Originally Posted by pnn23
^ Think Joker had a thread on Tokico HP's awhile back. Don't remember if he went with 350z or G35 ones.
Thanks for the tip, I read both of his threads but still no definite answer, just a bunch of baseless opinions.

Originally Posted by 4D05G35
I opted for the Z's because I was on z suspension. They work great and I have no complaints. I am going a little lower this week (1.5" F and 1.1" R) so I will see how they react. I think it will be good since im only going 1/2" lower than a stock z.
Is your car a sedan or coupe? hows the ride, is it stupid firm like everyone says so?

After some researching I've found that the z's are shorter and firmer than the G's hp's. Some people were ranting that the tokico hp's on the z were TOO firm but it cant be too bad can it? I take my car out on spirited drives through the canyons often and plan on taking it to the track in the near future, however, I still want this car to perform its daily driver duties without breaking my passenger's and i's backs.

The question I'm having trouble finding an answer to is whether or not the Z shocks will make the car sit lower since the valve body is shorter. I doubt it will because once the car is sitting the struts should be compressed to the point where it doesnt matter. The shorter shocks will only cause less droop when the car is in the air. I pretty much just answered my own question but theres still the off chance that im wrong so please say so if I am wrong.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotteman
After some researching I've found that the z's are shorter and firmer than the G's hp's. Some people were ranting that the tokico hp's on the z were TOO firm but it cant be too bad can it? I take my car out on spirited drives through the canyons often and plan on taking it to the track in the near future, however, I still want this car to perform its daily driver duties without breaking my passenger's and i's backs.
The HP are a factory replacement shocks, much like the KYB GR2 or the Monroe Sensa-trac. They are slightly stiffer than OEM so that they could boast about being more durable and better performing. Valving the shocks slightly stiffer at the factory costs virtually nothing in the production standpoint.

I have drove a few cars equipped with Tokico HP. Yes, they are a little bit stiffer than the worn factory shocks that they are designed to replace, but I wouldn't consider them high performance by any means. They are not much firmer over the factory shocks. The HP is designed to be in a market segment that does not conflict with the more expensive Illuminas and D-Spec.

The question I'm having trouble finding an answer to is whether or not the Z shocks will make the car sit lower since the valve body is shorter. I doubt it will because once the car is sitting the struts should be compressed to the point where it doesnt matter. The shorter shocks will only cause less droop when the car is in the air. I pretty much just answered my own question but theres still the off chance that im wrong so please say so if I am wrong.
The body is not shorter, only the piston length. The shorter piston is to prevent it from bottoming out internally and to allow for proper preload of the Z's shorter springs. You can use any G35 springs on the Z shocks, you just have to compress them more. Consequently if you use shorter piston shocks designed for the Z, you must also use the appropriate Z bumpstops for proper operation.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Bilsteins call for the same number G35/Z as does Koni and they're both in the $800+ range prior to install at TireRack. Not sure about the Tokico's....
Gary

Old 02-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Bilsteins call for the same number G35/Z as does Koni and they're both in the $800+ range prior to install at TireRack. Not sure about the Tokico's....
Gary
The nature of the monotube design doesn't require the piston to be set at a certain length like twin tube does. Therefore the Bilsteins could be used on various applications where twintube would require different piston lengths.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:26 AM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts

Is your car a sedan or coupe? hows the ride, is it stupid firm like everyone says so?.
Sedan. It's not stupid firm, but I would never recommend them as a OEM performance upgrade..meaning if someone was on stock suspension looking to replace/upgrade their OEM shocks/struts. They are stupid firm for a stock car IMO, but if lowered I think they are a good upgrade..

I lowered my car on OEM Z and G springs in an attempt to keep a close to factory ride. Things were good (slightly firmer) until I replaced my shocks..
Prior to the shocks it rode firmer, but good....after the shocks it feels like I lowered the car a few inches and increased the spring rate drastically. so.....im ditching the OEM springs for aftermarket and lower stance to fit the firmness.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:33 AM
Originally Posted by tyau
The HP are a factory replacement shocks, much like the KYB GR2 or the Monroe Sensa-trac. They are slightly stiffer than OEM so that they could boast about being more durable and better performing. Valving the shocks slightly stiffer at the factory costs virtually nothing in the production standpoint.

I have drove a few cars equipped with Tokico HP. Yes, they are a little bit stiffer than the worn factory shocks that they are designed to replace, but I wouldn't consider them high performance by any means. They are not much firmer over the factory shocks. The HP is designed to be in a market segment that does not conflict with the more expensive Illuminas and D-Spec.

The body is not shorter, only the piston length. The shorter piston is to prevent it from bottoming out internally and to allow for proper preload of the Z's shorter springs. You can use any G35 springs on the Z shocks, you just have to compress them more. Consequently if you use shorter piston shocks designed for the Z, you must also use the appropriate Z bumpstops for proper operation.
I sort of got the impression that they're just OEM replacements but since they're a little stiffer than stock they seem like a decent low budget upgrade. What I'm really looking for is a more rebound since my og struts are pretty much done(85k mi) I just need something to keep me going until my income increases enough for me to afford some good coilovers.

btw THANKS for all the help guys!!

Old 04-04-2011, 11:30 PM
Received 350 Likes on 232 Posts
sorry for my complete ignorance, but Im in the same position as the OP and don't really understand what you guys have suggested

I have an 04 coupe on stock 18"s and recently bought 350z revised springs. But my shocks seem to be blown so i dont know whether I should be getting the 350z or G35 Tokico HPs

I dont track the car (it's a daily driver) so I dont want it feeling rough. And I have no idea what a bumpstop is Tayu suggested the OP would need to get if he decides on the 350z HPs.

so which type should I be getting if I just want the shocks to be as close as OEM feel but better match the revised springs??

Old 04-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
redpearl - you will see the bump stops are when you change the strut
it is just a piece of foam that the strut shaft goes thru.. it sits at the very top in the tophat.. it cuts easily with a razor knife

I havent bought my struts yet, but it just makes sense to me to buy the ones matched for the springs you are using

Old 04-05-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by High_Boost
redpearl - you will see the bump stops are when you change the strut
it is just a piece of foam that the strut shaft goes thru.. it sits at the very top in the tophat.. it cuts easily with a razor knife

I havent bought my struts yet, but it just makes sense to me to buy the ones matched for the springs you are using
so would I have to get new bumpstops if getting the 350z shocks or could i reuse and cut my stock coupe ones?

I was thinking of getting the 350z HP shocks but then you guys say it's too stiff for a DD car so that got me worried. I would get the g35 HP shocks but I thought it might wear out faster since it's already shorter than the OEM shocks plus im putting on the 350z revised springs

Old 04-05-2011, 08:25 PM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
I just put a full '08 350z suspension on my car and I don't think it rides too stiff at all. Bumps seem a little harder than with my stock suspension, but nothing major. It actually seems to ride better at high speeds, which is surprising to me. Handling is much improved.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:21 PM
^ I know oem 350z shocks would be good, but im just worried that 350z Tokico HPs will be too stiff and will drop my car even more since the HPs are shorter than the OEMs

Old 04-06-2011, 04:12 PM
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
The shocks I installed were Tokico's and shorter than my oem shocks. Not sure if they are HP's or not though

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HELP: 350z vs G35 tokico hp's (blue)