Pirates coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
i tightened my rear bolts with the suspension in and springs compressed with no issues..make sure everything is centered properly..you might have to wiggle the socket and a little pressure to get the socket in there right but it WILL work with the springs compressed..and my front springs were already compressed before i got the shipment just make sure if they arent set the preload right and your set to go! and after some test driving id get back in there and retighten everything to make sure your not driving down the road and something comes loose..NO BUENO!

Old 08-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chatt350gt
i tightened my rear bolts with the suspension in and springs compressed with no issues..make sure everything is centered properly..you might have to wiggle the socket and a little pressure to get the socket in there right but it WILL work with the springs compressed..and my front springs were already compressed before i got the shipment just make sure if they arent set the preload right and your set to go! and after some test driving id get back in there and retighten everything to make sure your not driving down the road and something comes loose..NO BUENO!
Well, that is the thing. My spring blocks the socket to go over the nut on both sides of the spring mount. Which means the spring is centered...Don't know what the issue is.
Yes, I'll be back there making some changes since I've driven the car for two days now. I'm jumping on alignment rack tomorrow to see what I can do about getting some negative camber in the rear.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:55 PM
you using a 12mm deep socket?? thats weird i had barely some trouble due to the spring but ive been able to tighten and untighten a couple times with small effort.. try different angles till the socket fits.

what are your wheel specs that your wheels dont seem to have tucked in??

Old 08-15-2011, 05:01 PM
you using a 12mm deep socket?? thats weird i had barely some trouble due to the spring but ive been able to tighten and untighten a couple times with small effort.. try different angles till the socket fits.

what are your wheel specs that your wheels dont seem to have tucked in??
I know. I was weird out by the fact that I can't fit a 12mm socket over the nut. It is not even the socket. Without lowering the spring, you can't fit the nut over the bolt because of the edge on the nut hitting the spring. I either got a shorter upper mount of a thicker spring.

I am running 9.5 +20 in the rear and they are not tucking. Now that I think about, the noise that is coming when hitting those bumps could be the tire hitting the fender I will have to look.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:29 PM
thats definitely weird..and i doubt HIGHLY you parts are any different than mine or the other MDU guys..youll just have to get under there and check..maybe undo the spring and adjust it to see where you might have room to fit the socket..aslong as it stays centered obviously..did your rears come with new nuts?? i had to use my old stock ones..

and about your wheels not tucking..guessing it has something to do with your camber arms being adjusted before but even then with a 2 inch drop more than before you definitely should be tucking on those specs..im running 19x10.5 with a +12 offset and im tucking. but thats could be a good thing for you since your more in spec lol but yes id make sure its not hitting fender..ouch..take some pics so we can see the overall car with drop and rear and front shots of the tire "not tucking"

and while your at it jack it up and take a good pic of your rear coilover issue..

Old 08-15-2011, 08:05 PM
Received 181 Likes on 150 Posts
Has anyone taking these coilovers to the track, or at least on some turns?

How do these compare to MDUs?

Old 08-15-2011, 10:06 PM
not on the track but they take turns great..i love it..

and these ARE MDU coilovers..they are somewhat different from the TopSpeed ones with 24 way dampening but these China Pirate coilovers are the real deal..real MDU coilovers..they just have 18 way dampening instead..and $200 cheaper

Old 08-15-2011, 11:06 PM
thats definitely weird..and i doubt HIGHLY you parts are any different than mine or the other MDU guys..youll just have to get under there and check..maybe undo the spring and adjust it to see where you might have room to fit the socket..aslong as it stays centered obviously..did your rears come with new nuts?? i had to use my old stock ones..

and about your wheels not tucking..guessing it has something to do with your camber arms being adjusted before but even then with a 2 inch drop more than before you definitely should be tucking on those specs..im running 19x10.5 with a +12 offset and im tucking. but thats could be a good thing for you since your more in spec lol but yes id make sure its not hitting fender..ouch..take some pics so we can see the overall car with drop and rear and front shots of the tire "not tucking"

and while your at it jack it up and take a good pic of your rear coilover issue..
I would think if the spring is circular it would not make a difference which way you turn it, it will still cause the same issue but I will recheck it. Seems like my sound comes from the right rear side. I did have an issue during the install with that side where when I was pre-loading the spring and locking up the collar rings, I accidentally loosened the top bolt, right underneath the dampening adjuster. I re-tightened it and it should not have caused any issues, but who knows.

I took a bunch of pics with the camera during the install but none of them saved Here are some pics of the car that i took today:
Name:  campingandcar012.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  78.7 KB
Name:  campingandcar013.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  65.3 KB
Name:  campingandcar014.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  69.5 KB

Name:  campingandcar016.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  72.9 KB
Name:  campingandcar017.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  80.3 KB
Name:  campingandcar018.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  51.8 KB

Going to get alignment done tomorrow. I'll see what I can do about that negative camber.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:13 AM
Received 181 Likes on 150 Posts
not on the track but they take turns great..i love it..

and these ARE MDU coilovers..they are somewhat different from the TopSpeed ones with 24 way dampening but these China Pirate coilovers are the real deal..real MDU coilovers..they just have 18 way dampening instead..and $200 cheaper
Yeah I've been hearing a lot of great things from these pirates. MDU(Topspeed) tries to get you with that 1 year warranty, but let's hope I won't need it.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:26 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
So about 700+ miles on these coils and no problems whatsoever. This is my DD so more imput to come as the time comes. Little issue is that i want to go lower in the rear but im completely maxed out so its either stay true style or go to OEM and sacrifice quality. I also picked up some volk GT-7's F: 19x9.5 +30 R:19x10.5 +25 with no rubbing.

If you cannot access the rear top bolts on your shock/strut that means you spring is backwards because i encountered the same issue. I just flipped the spring and problem was solved.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Hmm the only way I could explain your rear wheels being like that is if your alignment was way off to begin with and that was how your wheels enned up after your drop but doubt it..but illuminati brought up.a good point about your springs possibly being put on wrong..and it solved his issue so worth a try..but it looks like the spring is pretty straight all the way through and not wider like some springs get ..and I also have sound coming from the right rear also..but its not fender touching cause I'm rolled and tucking.. you'll be fine once u get some negative camber..no worries..fronts look good tho

And illuminati the. Volks look great man! I know how u feel about going lower on true form..sucks but low and quality is great for daily driving eventually ill go back to oem for moooore low

Old 08-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Hmm the only way I could explain your rear wheels being like that is if your alignment was way off to begin with and that was how your wheels enned up after your drop but doubt it..but illuminati brought up.a good point about your springs possibly being put on wrong..and it solved his issue so worth a try..but it looks like the spring is pretty straight all the way through and not wider like some springs get ..and I also have sound coming from the right rear also..but its not fender touching cause I'm rolled and tucking.. you'll be fine once u get some negative camber..no worries..fronts look good tho

And illuminati the. Volks look great man! I know how u feel about going lower on true form..sucks but low and quality is great for daily driving eventually ill go back to oem for moooore low
I acutally have a sound on the right rear also....... sounds like a clunking over every imperfection in the road like the pillowmount is contacting the body i just havent had time to investigate...

Old 08-16-2011, 11:07 AM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
lox go a little lower in the rear and a tad amount of camber and that will sit flush and look nice

Old 08-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Illuminati- have you tried to remove one of collars? Maybe it will give you and extra 1/4"...if you are maxed out you really don't need the collar in there taking up space

Also you car is looking really good keep up the great work....

Old 08-16-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by G35Buzz
Illuminati- have you tried to remove one of collars? Maybe it will give you and extra 1/4"...if you are maxed out you really don't need the collar in there taking up space

Also you car is looking really good keep up the great work....
Uninstalling a collar wouldnt help heres an example

1: I still have threads like shown here

2: The black part (shockbody) is all the way on the bottom on number 2 so as far as this setup goes im unable to go any lower.

As you can see a collar wouldnt prevent me from going any lower unless the bottom mount (top of 2) was almost touching the 2nd top collar.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Pirates coilovers