G35x front wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Received 468 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by OKStateG35
I haven't looked at it, but wouldn't it just be a ball joint separator? I've used hammers to separate ball joints before, but it's obviously better if you use the correct tool.

Not sure on the steering link.

Edit: Just re-read it and not sure what 'pop the ball joint' means. Does that mean separate or actually remove it?

Well, I meant remove the nut and pull the shaft out of the spindle or whatever it is secured too.

The FSM shows this tool in use. I have a tie rod tool as well. Since its cheap, I'm gonna buy this tool just to have. I want to have the right tools here so I'm willing to spend some $$$

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_1721wt_948

I also have this tool, and plan on running to auto zone and renting whatever balljoints/tie rod tools they have as well

Old 07-03-2011, 07:54 PM
And other tools I plan on renting

And

With

The bearing pulley goes on the end of the slide hammer. You pass one of these through the hub and then use the side hammer to bang the bearing out. Hopefully, it works. I've have good luck with slide hammers.

I checked my car today, and it's not tool corroded under the car. The bearing is rusty, but most of the bolts and nuts and such seemed okay. I soaked them in pb blaster hoping it does something in the meantime.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 07-03-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Gonna attempt one side this weekend.

So, any of you guys who've done this. To pull the halfshaft out, i can just undo the upper balljoint and steering link? No need to touch the lower balljoint ?

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 07-12-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
good luck... please do post up DIY with tons of pictures if you can. As it seems your a pioneer on this board with the AWD. I'm sure at one point i'll need to get this done.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
FINALLY got a bearing, $98.50 shipped through rock auto

Old 07-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Originally Posted by TurTLe*
please do post up DIY with tons of pictures if you can.
I plan on it. I've been google searching the NET and there is not alot of info on doing this. I realize it's been done, but it's so nice to see pics and stuff ahead of time.

I'm doing it with a buddy, who has air tools. I rented half the damn pullers at autozone. We'll see what works and what doesn't.

My only worry is the bearing seizing in the spindle. I plan on using the slide hammer with the bearing puller and hoping that does the trick. If not...i'll unbolt and press it out.

I also read a technique used by the 4X4 guys that have VERY similar front bearings (called unit bearings). They have issues with their bearings seizing in cast iron spindles all the time. There is a popular technique they use which i might try if the slide hammer doesn't work. Involves putting a socket on the bolt behind the spindle, and bracing a long extension against the frame....and turning the steering wheel.

Basically, the technique looks like this. I'll try the slide hammer first, this 2nd and then pull the spindle as last resort

IMG_20110327_142453.jpg?t=1301254133

Old 07-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by GraphiteX
FINALLY got a bearing, $98.50 shipped through rock auto
Did it ship?

The one i just ordered today just came back with a "out of stock" message.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
I plan on it. I've been google searching the NET and there is not alot of info on doing this. I realize it's been done, but it's so nice to see pics and stuff ahead of time.

I'm doing it with a buddy, who has air tools. I rented half the damn pullers at autozone. We'll see what works and what doesn't.

My only worry is the bearing seizing in the spindle. I plan on using the slide hammer with the bearing puller and hoping that does the trick. If not...i'll unbolt and press it out.

I also read a technique used by the 4X4 guys that have VERY similar front bearings (called unit bearings). They have issues with their bearings seizing in cast iron spindles all the time. There is a popular technique they use which i might try if the slide hammer doesn't work. Involves putting a socket on the bolt behind the spindle, and bracing a long extension against the frame....and turning the steering wheel.

Basically, the technique looks like this. I'll try the slide hammer first, this 2nd and then pull the spindle as last resort

I've done other cars before and i've just taken off the spindles and had a shop press it in. I did my first 3 wheel bearings on VW's and it was a pain to drive them out and new ones back in. I rather pay the gas station shop down the block to press them in for $20.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Eh, I just like doing my own work. If I pull the spindle, I have a press myself I can do it. Not a huge deal, just one less thing I rather not do.

I have cofidemce I can do this....I just want to be efficient and do it quick and not waste time. I'm kinda more interested in doing a DIY more than anything....which is why I've posted many updates here. Kinda looking forward to this actually. Id make a new thread for the repair though.

I won't be doing it this weekend....off to marthas vineyard for 4 days. I'll do it next weekend...maybe. I need a free day and those are rare in the summer for me.

Last edited by Mustang5L5; 07-12-2011 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:26 AM
Received 20 Likes on 4 Posts
Any advice? Im doing my 2005 g35x tomorrow!

Old 07-13-2011, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by getupkid
Any advice? Im doing my 2005 g35x tomorrow!
Unfortunately, none from me yet. I can only suggest taking pics if you can and maybe some feedback once you are done on what worked and what didn't.

There isn't a DIY (yet), so the more info the better. I'm doing mine soon, so hopefully something can be put together.

It's just nice when you can read how the job is done so you can gather the right tools.

One trick i was going to try to pull the bearing out....i rented a slide hammer from Autozone, and went to a hardware store and bought some hardened 2" washers and another 5/8-18 nut to thread onto the slide hammer. My plan was to pass the bearing through the hub, put the washers on the end of the slide hammer with nuts on both sides and use that to try to pull the bearing out.

It's the same idea as the bearing pullers above which you can rent at Autozone. Problem is the washer on the puller prevents you from inserting the bearing puller with the hub in place. if you pull the hub out first, then you can use the above bearing pullers with a slide hammer and pull the bearing.

I was gonna use the washers as i planned on leaving the hub in place. Will it work? No clue yet. But it's an idea.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I am now encountering this problem and I only have 32k miles on my car. How many miles do you have on your cars? Also I might end up taking it to the dealer just not to deal with headaches.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:38 AM
I had 96000 on mine. Depending on how old your car is, it should be covered by your drivetrain warranty. The dealer quoted me $900 so if its not covered, you might think of someone else

Old 07-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Yeah, I had a ridiculous dealer quote too...independent shop would be a better route.

Mine started to whine around 70K. If I only knew.

Question for guys who've done it. Rear axle click is cured by putting moly lube on the axle flange on the rear shafts. Do I need to do this with the front shafts? Or do they install dry?

Old 07-20-2011, 11:09 PM
I installed it dry, I believe the rear is ball bearings and the front is concealed.

Originally Posted by Mustang5L5
Yeah, I had a ridiculous dealer quote too...independent shop would be a better route.

Mine started to whine around 70K. If I only knew.

Question for guys who've done it. Rear axle click is cured by putting moly lube on the axle flange on the rear shafts. Do I need to do this with the front shafts? Or do they install dry?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35x front wheel bearings