Anyone got squeaky Brembo brakes on the 6MT coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone got squeaky Brembo brakes on the 6MT coupe?

I just got my new 6MT coupe last week. I have read a lot about people have squeaky brakes on the sedan and coupe with the regular brakes, but haven't heard anyone with Brembo's really complain...

Mine squeak very infrequently because I mostly downshift, but when I do hear them squeak, it is usually when I am slowing down from 10 mph - 0 mph.... Anyone got the same problem, and if so do you know why?

Thanks, Jaime

People who say that money cannot bring happiness never drove a G35 Sport Coupe!

Old 04-25-2003, 08:36 PM
Re: Anyone got squeaky Brembo brakes on the 6MT coupe?

Jaime, mine squeak too. Only when barely touching the brake pedal and slowing from maybe 2 mph to 0. Certain pressure of the pedal will make it pretty loud. Sgueaked a lot more frequently when it was new. Hardly hear it any more now about 2000 miles on the odo. Hoping it will go away completely soon. Was thinking maybe due to the pads have not seated properly in the calipers and or rotors yet.

Bo

Old 04-25-2003, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brembos are high-performance brakes. As such, I'd imagine the brake pads are semi-metallic. Semi-metallic pads can handle the higher heat associated with more aggressive and/or track driving. However, they do contain some metal. The rotors are metal. Metal-on-metal squeals. You're trading quiet for performance. If you don't like the squealing, when it comes time to replace the pads, go with organic pads.. they'll be quieter, though they may not stop quite as fast, and they may fade a bit under aggressive driving.

Another thing is that most brakes will sometimes squeal a bit under light brake pressure. If you use moderate pressure and stop quicker, you should notice the squealing going away. In fact, try about 3 or 4 hard stops, and then see if some of the squealing under light pressure goes away. Sometimes the brakes will accumulate a little dust on the rotors. Light braking doesn't wear it away, and squeals -- hard breaking wears the dust off.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 04-26-2003, 12:37 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

ryoken is right, that process is called brake bedding

"Bedding brake pads has a couple of important effects. The friction material in semi-metallic pads is held together by an organic binder, usually a type of phenolic material. As the pads get hot, the binder boils, and burns, from the top surface of the pad. Once this burning or “Bedding” takes place the friction material makes proper contact with the rotor."

and once that proper contact is made, the brakes will work at their best and of course, no squeaking!

<font color=green>-Ramb0</font color=green>

Old 04-26-2003, 12:44 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

http://www.baer.com/Support/TechTips.aspx?TechTipID=7
you dont have to follow that procedure word for word...just get your brakes hot enough then do a few high speed stops (like from 45mph down to 10mph (in your neighborhood streets perhaps, no traffic)
do it about 7-10 times and drive about 30 seconds inbetween each of the 7-10 brakes at 40 to create air flow...at least thats how i do it and seems to work just fine [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=green>-Ramb0</font color=green>

Old 04-26-2003, 04:07 PM

Thanks guys....

That all makes sense. I also talked to the service manager at the dealership (needed an alignment anyway) and he said something along the same lines.

Also, I will deal with the squeaking in the beginning for high performance braking (60 - 0mph in 112 ft.). That is one of the reasons that I bought the 6MT model.

Thanks again for the inputs.

Jaime

People who say that money cannot bring happiness never drove a G35 Sport Coupe!