G35 and handling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 03:07 PM
NYT
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dofu
If you're on a budget, front and rear lower tie bars will be the most effective.
Hmm. I thought the fender braces and 4pt mid-chasis brace would be the most beneficial

If your G can fit it and you can afford it, a lower cross brace is even better.
From pics this just looks like it kinda mimics what the sway is already doing. I don't like how this goes under the exhaust... ground clearance looks like an issue.

Strut bars might not seem to do much, but they still tie the chassis down further improving your handling, although a really good front strut bar setup will include fender braces or be a 3-point connecting to your firewall (two things that are practically non-existent for the G).
Yea, this is last on my list - had one before. I want go, not worried about engine show and the rear just ruins a lot of your trunk functionality.

I need to stay stock height (my car is DD, including winters), so I'm trying to find a good balance of other options. I'm thinking weight loss, spacers, wider tires and some chassis stiffening... without reducing too much independent suspension.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by NYT
Hmm. I thought the fender braces and 4pt mid-chasis brace would be the most beneficial

From pics this just looks like it kinda mimics what the sway is already doing. I don't like how this goes under the exhaust... ground clearance looks like an issue.
Good luck finding affordable fender braces for this car. The 4 point mid chassis brace is a lower cross brace.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by NYT
I need to stay stock height (my car is DD, including winters), so I'm trying to find a good balance of other options. I'm thinking weight loss, spacers, wider tires and some chassis stiffening... without reducing too much independent suspension.
If you don't have them already, go for sway bars and better struts first. While you do want a stiffer chassis, these two with better tires will do more for handling than a stiffer chassis alone can. While they can be slightly beneficial, I've never been a fan of spacers - they just add one more part to break.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Speaking of fender braces you can get in on our group buy they just shipped em out but i think Tony has a few extras in stock.
https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...ent-brace.html

Old 05-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
If you don't have them already, go for sway bars and better struts first. While you do want a stiffer chassis, these two with better tires will do more for handling than a stiffer chassis alone can.
/\--- This. I am running Stillen sways and Tokico D-Spec struts (at 3 turns from full stiff) and they have vastly improved the handling of the car at stock ride height with no other changes.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:07 PM
^ Everybody wants to believe that lowering their cars help so immensely with their car's handling, but in truth, it does more bad than good, they get more road feel due to the stiffer spring rates and have eliminated just enough sway to "feel" like they're going faster. While they have lowered their center of gravity, they've thrown off the balance of the car as the center of gravity isn't centered anymore, and they've messed up so much more as well. I'm not going to say there are no benefits to lowering a car, but the negatives certainly outweigh the positives.

The most important thing you can do to a street car to make it handle better is give it more traction. Struts keep your wheels firmly planted to the ground so you want to find some really good struts, and sway bars re-distribute weight during a turn, giving more traction to the correct wheels. While too much sway is a bad thing for good handling, there is such a thing as not enough sway. Simply put, since the outside wheels of the car will be traveling at a faster speed than the inside tires, they need more weight on them to keep them planted to the ground. Add good tires and you have a suspension worthy of taking most of these fanboys and their cheap coilovers in the turns.