REVIEW: Tananbe Sustec Z40 Coilovers!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 02:22 AM
wassupMyNinjas! (^_^)

Received 102 Likes on 45 Posts
REVIEW: Tananbe Sustec Pro Z40 Coilovers!

Tanabe's Newest Model: Sustec Pro Z40 Coilovers

This is my first set of coilovers for my 2005 G35 Coupe. I currently have 20” HRE 540R wheels, stock shocks, and Tanabe NF210 Springs. I’ve been on these for the last 5 years. I’ve always wanted coilovers and finally got my hands on the first set of Tanabe Sustec Pro Z40 Coilovers for the G35, their newest coilover system available. Thanks to Danh, at Tanabe USA Inc., in Torrance, CA, for introducing them to me!

“It has a fully adjustable ride height, advanced dampers by KYB with 40-way dampening adjustment, twin tube construction which allow for better length compared to monotube, durable finish, tapered locking nut, noise elimination, and goes through rigorous testing”.

Details of the product from Tanabe USA are on their site at:
http://www.tanabe-usa.com/z40.asp?id=22

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
The Tanabe Sustec Pro Z40s came in a huge box with with the coilovers individually wrapped and nice foam packaging. The craftsmanship and detailing of this product is amazing. The top mounting plate and adjustment collars came in an anodized deep maroon red color, the shock body was silver and black powder-coated and very well put together.

When I first saw this thing come out of the box, my eyes bulged, and I started to drool…. WOW! All the hardware for installation was included as well.

Here’s what it looks like coming out of the box:

MY CAR SET-UP:
This is my daily driver and want to drive normally on the freeway as well as local streets without having worry about rubbing the fender or getting rear ended taking a corner from 40 mph and having to quickly slow down to 10 mph, just to take the corner. I also want to be able to drive with people in the car.

Rick, of Status Autoworks in Gardena, changed the outer barrel of my rear wheels and went from a 20x10.5 to 20x11 and kept the same tire on for a slightly stretched look. We rolled the fenders in the rear more than before, the front plastic liner got tucked up higher, and the mounting point where the fender and bumper bolt up to each other, that corner got cut off to prevent the rubbing of the tires.

INSTALL:
It was a very straight forward install, which went very smoothly, and no problems at all. The height was set to their “medium” setting and after installing it, decided to lower it ˝ inch front and rear, from my current "lowered" Tanabe NF210 spring setup. It is 26” from ground to fender. I just wanted a slightly aggressive stance and not super low VIP slammed and “hella” stretched look.

We also had the dampening set at the medium setting, which was at 20, where 1 is the stiffest and 40 is the softest, drove it around, and decided to go stiffer and set it at 15 by easily twisting the top dampening adjustment **** five clicks clock-wise. Because of the way the G35 is designed, like other G35 coilovers, to adjust the rear dampening, you have to remove the shocks, which is still easy to do.

Here are some pix from the install:

Before set up with Tanabe NF210 spings:

Installing at Technosquare in Torrance, CA:

Before:

Tanabe Sway Bar Install:

Additional Tanabe Front Sway bar install:

Installed a RareJDM Underbody Panel as well, polished on both sides!

Installed!

Continued Below....

Last edited by speedraver; 05-04-2012 at 12:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bigc (04-30-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 02:23 AM
wassupMyNinjas! (^_^)

Before:

After settling:

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS:
I drove around local streets of Gardena, in the Los Angeles area, for a few miles on smooth as well as jacked up sections of the road, along with a 6’-3”, 220lb passenger as well.

WOW, it was very nice and smooth going over all types of roads and normal city driving speeds. I can definitely tell the HUGE difference from my previous setup of Tanabe NF210 springs, which was night and day! No rubbing issues going over large cracks/potholes on the road as well as metal plates, which is also the advantage of having a stiffer set up and yet a very comfortable ride, even more so than my previous set up! It feels like I'm driving a new car!

I also installed Tanabe Front and Rear Sway bars on the same day, and now, armed with coils and sways, the car’s handling & feel is amazing! Thanks again Tanabe!

During my “spirited” driving sessions on local streets, there were no issues with rubbing as well as going up & down drive-ways. Of course I still have to go at an angle, but that's normal for me, since I’m used to a lowered car, with my G35 sitting now at around 4” off the ground, at the front bumper.

Going around corners on local streets were very stable and it never felt like I was going to lose control. It has very minimal body roll, which is normal, and I felt very comfortable taking corners and not having to slow down just to make a quick turn.

Man, I wish I knew it felt this good to be on coils! On my previous set up I would always drive carefully at times, taking corners slowly, and could sometimes hear noise from the suspension, where as the Z40 coils are very quiet!

As we approached the curved on-ramp to the 405 freeway, we carved over the dip at the entry of the curve like a pro! No rubbing, very smooth, and super stable, especially with it having a lower center of gravity. I then gunned it to freeway speeds and the ride was very quiet and much more stable that my previous set up. Switching lanes and going over various freeway bumps and cracks was again, effortless. I would catch myself saying “Wow… this is freaking awesome”!

To test out it’s agility, off the 405 freeway, from the #2 lane, I would quickly (and safely) jump lanes to exit Imperial Highway off ramp at the last minute and my passenger said, “Wow, you could barely feel the ‘washboard’ section of that off ramp!” Then I replied, “What washboard section?”. That goes to show you how comfortable the ride was over multiple “bumps” at freeway speeds. The overall ride quality has definitely increased, which makes it very easy and fun to drive!

OVERALL:
I love these Tanabe Sustec Pro Z40 Coilovers! It totally changes the way I drive the car and the comfort level is awesome! Very straight forward install and I would definitely recommend these to anyone who wants a new ride feel and look. I am able to take the harsh SoCal roads and freeways very smoothly and makes you enjoy your ride like it was a brand new car! If I had known about coilovers in the past, I would have purchased them! Like the saying goes, “It feels like you're on rails”, as I take on any curve or corner! (I can't wait to take on canyon roads!)

Thank you Tanabe for an AMAZING coilover system for my G35! Definitely worth it, especially with the technology and design behind this great product! I look forward to driving my car with a smile on my face, driving with more confidence, and having fun on the way to work!

Thanks Danh of Tanabe USA, Howard of Technosquare in Torrance, Zack of RareJDM, Randy (R-Ryde) for the install, Rick of Status Autoworks in Gardena, and Marty (Buff Asain Guy) for the additional help!

Arigatoo! (^_^)

- John / Speedraver

Last edited by speedraver; 05-01-2012 at 05:01 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by speedraver:
bigc (04-30-2012), CandlestickPark (04-28-2012), G35SHAWN (04-28-2012)
Old 04-28-2012, 02:47 AM
Received 168 Likes on 149 Posts
Nice review!

Old 04-28-2012, 02:59 AM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
Looks to be a very well made system. I'm so very glad you finally jumped on the coilovers!! Enjoy!

Old 04-28-2012, 05:54 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I wish more people here would try the Tanabes. I have the Pro5s and absolutely love them, seems like the Z40s are an upgrade. Congrats on your purchases, what the hell took you so long?

Old 04-28-2012, 12:44 PM
wassupMyNinjas! (^_^)

Not sure what took me so long... Guess I spent most of my time on the car's appearance and not on the feel and quality of the ride..... Oh well, better late than never. :-)

Old 04-28-2012, 12:59 PM
ill Sedan

Received 2,687 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Good stuff John. Checked out your new setup in person car looks dope!! Congrats homie.

Tanabe FTW!!

Old 04-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
great write up and pics!! I definitely, want to drive the car when I get the chance haha

looks like me and Alfhasg35 are texting eachother..lol

... more pics of Rare JDM polished underpanel...

Last edited by Marty_G; 04-28-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
looks awesome John! Those tanabe coils sure are pretty..

So how is the ride quality compared to other g35 coilovers you have been in? Do you happen to know the spring rates?

Kind of a bummer about having to remove the rear coil to adjust dampening. I didn't know Tanabe was designed that way. On my HKS I just reach in behind the rear wheel and there is a dial on the base of the coilover body. I wonder why Tanabe didn't use something like this?

Old 04-28-2012, 04:04 PM
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts
TANABE! Z40 coils are the $**t! I just installed them on my FIT and they're awesome!

Great write up on the coils! Keep us updated!

Old 04-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've only heard great things about the tanabe coils. I just ordered my set of z40 based on all the good comments and based on this review i can't wait to get them on the car

Old 04-28-2012, 04:32 PM
wassupMyNinjas! (^_^)

I'll post up a new thread with the RareJDM under panel soon! (^_^)

Old 04-28-2012, 04:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks F****** Sweet and sounds like your happy with the set up. So it's a win win.

Old 04-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Nice write up!

Old 04-28-2012, 06:36 PM
wassupMyNinjas! (^_^)

I'm sure once it finally settles and after I get my trunk audio set up, the rears will sit a little lower... in which case we'll do minor adjustments and then finally take it to get aligned. (^_^)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: REVIEW: Tananbe Sustec Z40 Coilovers!