Spacers 101

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 02:05 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Spacers 101

This thread will provide all of the information one would need about spacers in order to avoid bunch of "OMG Spacers" threads in the future that are full of misleading and incorrect information.

What is Spacers?

Spacer is a piece of aluminum or steel that is placed between the wheel and a hub.

What are Spacers for?

Spacers allow you to change your wheel base without changing your wheel.
Spacers give you a wider wheel base improving cars handling.

Are spacers safe?

YES! If installed properly.

Do spacers cause premature wear on the wheel bearings?

Spacers don't cause any additional damage to any parts of your car that your aftermarket wheels do.
An 8.5 inch OEM wheel with +50 offset (M45 wheels) combined with 38 mm spacers equate to +12 offset wheels. By installing 8.5 inch aftermarket wheels with +12 offset you end up with equal results of pre mature wear on the wheel bearings.

Types of Spacers

There are "Slip on" and "Bolt on" spacers.

Slip on spacers are usually thin and range from 0mm to 15mm
Example of slip on spacer

They require a longer studs to be installed with the spacer
If longer studs are not installed, **** like this will happen to your ride

Bolt on are normally thicker spacers and range from 10mm to what ever your heart desires.
Example of a bolt on spacer

Bolt on spacers utilize your wheels studs and come with additional studs to bolt your wheel to. They do not require you to purchase longer wheel studs.

Hub Centric or Non

In the picture a hub centric spacer is shown on the left and non is on the right.
Hub centric spacers centers on your hub eliminating a possibility of it being installed incorrectly and causing vibration while driving.
Spacer on the left not only hub centric but also has a hub ring built into it for your wheels to rest on. Hub rings usually come built in on thicker spacers. Thick spacer without hub ring built in, takes up most of the hub ring on the car leaving no room for you wheel to rest and center. This can cause your wheel to break off and damage your car. Any spacers 10mm or higher should be hub centric and have a hub ring built in for your wheel to rest on.

Installation

Slip on spacers.
Require longer studs to replace your original studs

Bolt on spacers
Do not require longer studs to replace your original studs. They simply bolt on your original studs and have built in studs for your wheels to bolt on. HOWEVER The studs that come built in to the spacers do require to be completely pressed into the spacer, especially aluminum.
You can achieve that by taking a nut that fits your thread on the stud and two washers that also fit over the stud.
Place two washers on to a stud and then tighten the nut all the way pulling/pressing the stud fully into the spacers. Repeat this process on every single stud on each spacer. If you don't do this and install your wheels right away on a brand new spacers. After a short drive your wheels will begin to wobble and will fall off if you do not re tighten your wheel nuts. You going to have to continue to do that until your studs are fully pressed into the spacers.
This issue is mostly common with aluminum spacers.
Another very important step during installation of bolt on spacers is Anti Seize lubricant.
It is important to use a high temperature, copper product to avoid any complications during the time of removal of the spacers.
Example of copper Anti Seize Lubricant

Lubricant should be applied on the wheel hub and a hub ring built into spacers.
If your spacer comes in two pieces such as Ichiba 38mm spacers and others
Example of Ichiba 38mm 2 piece spacer

Anti Seize should be applied on both sides of the hub ring (located on the right in the picture) inner and outer, covering the entire surface of the ring.
Wheel studs should be treated with Anti Seize Lubricant as well.

Last edited by JOKER; 07-11-2017 at 11:33 PM.
The following 10 users liked this post by JOKER:
b2autodesigns (09-14-2012), Beebo (09-14-2012), dj714 (10-22-2012), dukehotty (09-13-2012), Frankieg35 (09-13-2012), jcseven7 (09-13-2012), Pepper (09-13-2012), Pinoy_G35driver (09-14-2012), seymore4 (09-13-2012), Trickstyle (09-14-2012) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-13-2012, 03:06 PM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
Great thread! The only thing I would add is "Anti-Seize Gel"

Old 09-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Great write up. Thanks for taking the time.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:16 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by dukehotty
Great thread! The only thing I would add is "Anti-Seize Gel"
I was under the impression that it's pretty obvious that you put Anti Seize Gel while installing spacers.

I guess I'll edit the OP, perhaps I should explain which side should be facing the wheel when installing spacers too?

Old 09-13-2012, 04:40 PM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by JOKER
I was under the impression that it's pretty obvious that you put Anti Seize Gel while installing spacers.

I guess I'll edit the OP, perhaps I should explain which side should be facing the wheel when installing spacers too?
People told me to use it, so I did. I didn't put enough on one and had to beat it off.
I'm glad I did use it since heat can cause problems.

OR

Old 09-13-2012, 05:23 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
WOW

You are a rough kind of a Mother Fvcker. You get **** done with hammers and crowbars.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another very important step during installation of bolt on spacers is Anti Seize lubricant.
It is important to use a high temperature, copper product to avoid any complications during the time of removal of the spacers.
Example of copper Anti Seize Lubricant

Lubricant should be applied on the wheel hub and a hub ring built into spacers.
If your spacer comes in two pieces such as Ichiba 38mm spacers and others
Example of Ichiba 38mm 2 piece spacer

Anti Seize should be applied on both sides of the hub ring (located on the right in the picture) inner and outer, covering the entire surface of the ring.
Got myself confused after reading this. First time i read this Anti-seize about spacers good thing i havnt installed my spacers. So I apply it on the wheel hub & hub ring built in. Do i also apply some on the stud itself ?
Looks like that what dukehotty mentioned.

Sorry for being ignorant, I jst read the other DIY and it said just straight bolt on.

Last edited by Pinoy_G35driver; 09-14-2012 at 07:20 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
this should definitely be stickied!! big help, thanks!

Old 09-14-2012, 12:17 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by Pinoy_G35driver
Got myself confused after reading this. First time i read this Anti-seize about spacers good thing i havnt installed my spacers. So I apply it on the wheel hub & hub ring built in. Do i also apply some on the stud itself ?
Looks like that what dukehotty mentioned.

Sorry for being ignorant, I jst read the other DIY and it said just straight bolt on.
I would not hurt to put some on the stud as well.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
awesome write up Joker

Now the question is, What are the best quality wheel spacers you can buy?

Old 09-14-2012, 01:21 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by Beebo
awesome write up Joker

Now the question is, What are the best quality wheel spacers you can buy?
Light and durable.
Latest trend is aluminum/magnesium alloy. Strong and very light. I know H&R and Ichiba are making their spacers out of this material.

My personal preference is a one piece spacer. Ichiba like to make 2 piece for some reason.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 105 Likes on 100 Posts
Great thread! Hopefully this clears up a lot of misconstrued notions about spacers.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:43 PM
Light and durable.
Latest trend is aluminum/magnesium alloy. Strong and very light. I know H&R and Ichiba are making their spacers out of this material.

My personal preference is a one piece spacer. Ichiba like to make 2 piece for some reason.
so H&R then...

Old 09-14-2012, 04:23 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Originally Posted by Beebo
so H&R then...
depends on the size you looking for.
When I was looking for 38mm. H&R don't make that size so I had to go with two piece Ichiba.
If H&R had that size available, I'd go with them for the convenience of the one piece.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Thanks Joker

-Wes

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Spacers 101