Other things i should replace when replacing shocks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Other things i should replace when replacing shocks

I have a 2003 G35 sedan. Im going to have to shocks replaced. So I have a series of stupid questions. BTW Im not doing the work myself and want to make sure the guy has everything he needs.

Is there a kit I can buy with all of the associated parts for replacing the shocks? Something that would include boots, mounts etc? What other parts do I need to replace in regards to the shocks besides the shock mount plates? That would make it a lot easier for me since I don’t know exactly what I need.

I know I need compression rods are these the same as lower control arms? If they are, do I need to replace just the bushings? Should I replace the ICA bushings? Should I replace the control arms as well? Yes, I have searched but I want to make sure I didn’t miss anything.

Sorry if I sound stupid but I have heard so many names for the same parts and im confused.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by hrdwirk1
I have a 2003 G35 sedan. Im going to have to shocks replaced. So I have a series of stupid questions. BTW Im not doing the work myself and want to make sure the guy has everything he needs.

Is there a kit I can buy with all of the associated parts for replacing the shocks? Something that would include boots, mounts etc? What other parts do I need to replace in regards to the shocks besides the shock mount plates? That would make it a lot easier for me since I don’t know exactly what I need.

I know I need compression rods are these the same as lower control arms? If they are, do I need to replace just the bushings? Should I replace the ICA bushings? Should I replace the control arms as well? Yes, I have searched but I want to make sure I didn’t miss anything.

Sorry if I sound stupid but I have heard so many names for the same parts and im confused.
Is there a kit I can buy with all of the associated parts for replacing the shocks?
I don't think so.

Something that would include boots, mounts etc? What other parts do I need to replace in regards to the shocks besides the shock mount plates? That would make it a lot easier for me since I don’t know exactly what I need.
You should buy the mounting nuts that hold the strut mounts to the body of the car, there are 3 per side for the front, and two per side for the rear. You should also replace the "bound bumper" assembly for the front struts, that assembly includes new dust boots.

I know I need compression rods are these the same as lower control arms?
No, these are not the same. Compression rod has a ball joint on one end, and a bushing on the other, but the lower control arm has a tapered hole on one end, a bushing on the other end, and a strut bushing in the middle where the strut would mount.

If they are, do I need to replace just the bushings? Should I replace the ICA bushings? Should I replace the control arms as well? Yes, I have searched but I want to make sure I didn’t miss anything.
These suspension parts are fairly inexpensive, I would just replace with new aftermarket units from Mevotech as I have had good experiences with them on this application. In the end it would probably cost you just as much to just replace bushings, and you'll still have an old ball joint in the compression rod.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (03-18-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OMG...my question got answered by a legend. Ive watched your videos but Im not mechanically inclined nor do i have any help. No joke it made me smile. Sorry I lost my composure.

Thank so much for the reply. It was waaaaay more information than I expected.

I appreciate it. Now I am off on a hunt for the parts.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Received 75 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by hrdwirk1
OMG...my question got answered by a legend. Ive watched your videos but Im not mechanically inclined nor do i have any help. No joke it made me smile. Sorry I lost my composure.

Thank so much for the reply. It was waaaaay more information than I expected.

I appreciate it. Now I am off on a hunt for the parts.
Make sure you verify the Mevotech suspension part numbers before ordering:

http://www.mevotech.com/

I've found that many places are selling 03-04 parts as applicable to 05+ models, but they are not compatible.